CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Stock bore stage 2 VS hpr 730 dyno

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock bore stage 2 VS hpr 730 dyno

Originally posted by: catchmeifyoucan
sorry i didnt want to affend anyone was just wondering

I know I'm not offended. After building many stage II motors, it makes PERFECT sence to me! .................. now here it comes! LOL

ANNIHILATER,

What cams were you running? How did the power curve compare to the HPR 3 cams? ............... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Am I missing something here? Am I reading where a bigbore 730 is only making a couple extra horsepower over a stock bore stage 2 on the same dyno on the same day?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I dont know boys...but lets put the pen to the paper on this one. What do you say?

Old 12-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Marky, They looked Very close. very.

Im runnin A1 A2.

The guy on the dyno hit the throttle on my bike at 4krpm and hit the throttle @ 5k. So its hard to judge between 5-6k BUT after 6500 rpm they are almost identical.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: choosetolose04
Am I missing something here? Am I reading where a bigbore 730 is only making a couple extra horsepower over a stock bore stage 2 on the same dyno on the same day?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I dont know boys...but lets put the pen to the paper on this one. What do you say?

No Choose your reading it wrong, I still made 1 more HP. Bigdaddy made 1 more ft lb torq AFTER he dialed it in. I will DIAL next time.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ANNIHILATER
Originally posted by: choosetolose04

No Choose your reading it wrong, I still made 1 more HP. Bigdaddy made 1 more ft lb torq AFTER he dialed it in. I will DIAL next time.

Well now wait just a minute....you made 1 more hp with pretty much NO TUNING? I thought the bigbore 730 was a guaranteed 8-10hp across the whole rpm range? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I think there is some explaining to do on this one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Very interesting reading this thread. Hopefully when Bigdaddy gets everything done to his 730, the two of you can try dynoing again.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

Bigdaddy is running a set of HR3's with 10 degrees less duration than normal on the intake cam. They were set up this way to make the motor accelerate quicker because of his 300+lb weight.

In case nobody caught it Mario was running a DRAG PIPE!!! I'm really suprized that Mario's motor didn't out do the 730 by more than 1hp since the 730 is running such a small intake cam and inframe exhaust.

Let's see....stock bore drag motor with drag pipe and drag cams VS big bore trail motor with small cams and in frame pipe. Basiclly making the same power. Now the way I see it Bigdaddy has drag bike power with a dune/trail motor. Sounds like the best of both worlds to me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I am VERY suprized to see such small cams pull out on top with the highly touted A1/A2 cams especially seeing that the A1/A2's had a drag pipe to help them carry out in the higher rpm range. The big bore usually soak's up intake duration causing the motor to "fall off" on the top end but Bigdaddy's motor kept pulling with the high winding stock bore, amazing!

Old 12-16-2005, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

This thread is going bad real quick.....

Before we start going into some sort of mob linching, let's get a couple of things VERY STRAIGHT.

I did get the 10 - 12hp increase compared to my STAGE II. And actally made MUCH more POWER over almost 2K of the rpm band. Made about 18ftlbs more torque than my stage two, and made a huge amount of torque almost 1k earlier than my stage II. So the power was there, and I am very, VERY happy with the outcome. AS advertised on the HP site. The numbers are right in line.

Now let's get back to the tuning thing here. Mario has stated that the numbers made were AFTER my tuning. Let's look closely at the tuning that was done. Before my bike even got on the dyno, I leaned out my needle 1 FULL turn. Thinking for some reason that it would help. Put it on the dyno and the bike felt sluggish on the bottom end. I pulled the needle back (richer) by 1/2 of a turn. Then ran the bike again. The bike continued to completely shut down at about 8000rpm. Kind of scratched my head and looked to the power jet. I have the dual power jet set up and start to tinker with the adjuster. found that the adjuster was almost SIX TURNS OUT!!!! With NO changes to the needle I took the power jet back to 2 turns out (which is the maxium it can be) and ran it again. Then ran it at 1 full turn out. The bike then ran to 9500 with out missing a beat. After a couple of runs, the bike seems to like the power jet most at 1 3/4 turns out. GREAT right. I NEVER went back and adjusted the needle. Mario will be the first to tell you that the carb likes to run a little rich on the needle. I'm SURE that the needle needed at least a 1/2 to a full turn richer (which strangely enough is EXACTLY where the carb was set at when it first came to me).
So before we go talking about tuning.... let's first realize that the "tuning" was nothing more than making it not run bad. I'm sure from the explanation above, that you'll agree that tuning for peak was NOT DONE. Also realize that Mario and I had different gearing, different tires and different exhaust. HPR's own website gives the drag pipe a 4 - 6hp increase. I am currently running a modified RWR. Moddified in that about 6 - 8 inches has been lopped off the end and the turn-down was added to the end. The pipe seems to work well, but jetting for the pipe and it's real worth have not been established. Not to worry, I will be testing a CT pipe next week which HPR's website says is the ONLY in-frame pipe option for top end and big bores. Guess we'll see in a week or so. If we can get to the same gearing tires and pipe... that would be the ultimate shoot out.

I'd also like to say that this was not a bike against bike dyno session. For me, it was a chance to get a base line for further tweaking.

It wasn't even my intent to publish, Mario's choice to do so is on him. And I'm perfectly fine on that. I'm sure that Mario and I will be back to the dyno within a few weeks. If he publishes the next runs, we should have more to talk about. Not saying that it will be good or bad for either of us.... just something more to talk about.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

So, Is it safe to say that a all out race everything 730 kit should produce close to 80hp when properly tuned?

Old 12-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes he does have the best of both worlds... Your right I should have pulled higher hp but I just simply plopped it on the dyno and ran it and took that run how it was no adjustments. I should have dropped the PJ down to 100ish or less since im still running the 130.... Mine also reved to 10.5K but didnt make optimum power at that RPM Mikes dropped at 95k. But after 8k we both started to lose power. well I think we need to go back and dyno with slicks cause I think the crappy tires I was runnin were slippin and Mikes too. I did not tune my bike at all. My main concern is that we both go back and hit it again. Ive done this before and battled it out on the dyno with my other motors. I think Ill see more power with a new cam chain. This one is stretched like a fluzy and got my cam timing off. Mike knows this. So he can go back to his resourses and Ill go to mine and we will see what happens next.

Mike put a different head on his bike. And it wasnt his head........ Ive tested Mikes bike w/ his head on there and it was a killer. Mike knows what my bike needs hes seen that the cam timing is way off due to the chain.

Mike is right about his post. But He made an improvement seeing how his first run was 54 and he methodically tuned all the way up to 56.5. THATS whats awsome!!

Quick Reply: Stock bore stage 2 VS hpr 730 dyno