CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is the 730 kit worth the $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 11:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 730 kit worth the $$$$

Ha ha. I am not affiliated with HPR, just a happy customer. Someone had asked what was included in the 730 kit. I just installed mine a couple of months ago so the info was still in my pea brain![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

DSNUT, I think you hit it on the head whenever you said that the chassis department has been falling short for the last few years. If the 450's would not have come along, Im afraid that we would have not gone to the levels that we are going to now. Most folks would throw serious dollars into the engine and be faster than any other 4-stroke on the planet. Well as we all know, that has changed. It will continue to change as well. There will be the fastest 4-strokes in the country at the Planetsand races in Gilbert, La in April who will showcase the best of both worlds, which will include the biggest 4-strokes that can be stuffed into some of the lightest drag chassis's that money can buy. Grant it, there are multiplied thousands who will NOT go that extra mile and cut up their frames. But, those same people will sink thousands into an engine expecting to go fast. Im not into my dad's faster than your dad either, but I do believe in giving credit where credit is due. There have been a number of builders build fast bikes in the past. Some of those bikes continue to dominate even today. But the bottom line is this.....if you want a fast dune bike with gobs of torque to climb the big sand hills and be half way fast on the hill, then buy you a 730. If you want to go faster and be one of the fastest then its gonna take a drag chassis to get it done. Plain and simple. Its not rocket science....its called horsepower to weight ratio my friend. DONT HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Building a bike has been such a fantastic education. I have learned a lot in the last 6 months about what is on the surface of building and racing, but what I am really interested in is what lies underneath. What makes things fail and what makes them work. Education isn't cheap though. You can't learn what you need to be on the cutting edge by watching what other experts do. That can really cut down on your own R&D but the cutting edge is something you have to trial and error it seems because the guys that are already there will only tell you what you can already see. They won't tell you what is underneath giving them their edge. I am on the cutting edge of a very dull knife right now, so no competition here but give me a few years.......

Fun stuff![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Great forum!

Old 12-20-2005, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

Almost identical bikes. what cams are you running? Mine is 100% hpr. All you need to do now is give it the old 25hp shot of funny gas. I guess i have this horsepower to weight ratio all wrong. This was my logic the bigger i get the more i can lift bigger = weight, lift=horsepower so i figured my bike would be stronger the bigger i made it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Choose what do you think about that?

Old 12-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you were referring to me, I am running HP4's. Once I get my rotating mass reduced and my final drive and tires fine tuned, I will be adding a dry NOS system.

That will be next fall though.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

real adressive arent they. have you had a chance to get any numbers from it yet. Im gonna try to get both of my 730 on the dyno in late january early feb. just to see the difference the new porting and the top gun pipe make against the porting from last april and my big gun pipe. there should be some difference just dont know how much.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I am hitting the dyno next week. Does your powercurve feel so strong on bottom and midrange that it feels like their might be a bit more to be had up top with those cams? One of the bad things about such smooth power is you are going hell for fast but it doesn't feel that exhilerating at times. I have no trouble beating piped YFZ's and TRX450's aren't even a race on comp hill, but when I ride those bikes, they feel faster than mine.

The woe's of having a monster DS. Sucks doesn't it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2BIG2BFAST
Almost identical bikes. what cams are you running? Mine is 100% hpr. All you need to do now is give it the old 25hp shot of funny gas. I guess i have this horsepower to weight ratio all wrong. This was my logic the bigger i get the more i can lift bigger = weight, lift=horsepower so i figured my bike would be stronger the bigger i made it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Choose what do you think about that?
I think your right on que with the power to weight ratio figures. You just keep going in that direction and all will be well, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, but is the 730 kit worth the $$$$?

Old 12-21-2005, 08:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

before the bigbore wars began the average piston cost under $100, is a DS piston really worth $250, and are superlights really worth $400? and cams on most other bikes are $100 but its $300-$400 for a pare of ds cams, are they really worth that? should we really have to pay to play? you guys are really sparking some serious notions around here![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

Those other bikes are half the size its kinda like doing a 110 in a porsche and then doing a 110 in a school bus. you have that big old bus plowing down the road that it just doesnt look fast. these other bikes are lighter so you can feel something the bomb handles the power so well that boom your there. exhilerating, hit the funny gas button in fourth and have the rear end try to pass you up.

Quick Reply: Is the 730 kit worth the $$$$