CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Who to have Port Your head???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006 | 03:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Who to have Port Your head???

Based on everything I have read with porting seems to be onesided. In that you either port for the low-mid, or the mid-high. Only once on a website hae I read that they say you can have your cake and eat it to. Know I would take it, that allred hit on that a little? I am guessing the portion of opening up the flow, but not so much you lose velosity? Can anyone expand on the statement that I CAN have my cake, AND eat it to?

Old 01-31-2006 | 03:39 PM
|
Pro Rider

Well Randall remember, the sqeaky wheel gets the grease. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

This post will be brought up everytime somebody does a search for porting. Just a thought.

Old 01-31-2006 | 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2006 | 04:02 PM
Trailblazer

What do you mean by the squeaky wheel comment?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2006 | 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

I learned porting from a guy that had about a thousand hours on a flow bench. He's about 60 years old now, and he's probably forgot more than I'll EVER know. Until Allred's post, I'd forgotten some of the things that he passed on to me. I did a LOT of porting on our race cars and boats, and recently some work on Quad Heads/ports. This is not something for the guys just looking to get there feet wet in the porting arena. You can hurt far more than help. You can lose low end to gain a scratch of top end. You can get great gains all the way through. You have to know what you are doing.
I have seen both the Trail Head and the Big League Race Head from HPR. The Trail head is a solid port job with nice gains. I've seen it on the Dyno. The race head is..... simply WICKED SICK. Not many in the country will see this head on a bike and fewer in the country will see this head as I have, off the motor. I'm no where near the level of the guy doing their heads. We are talking pretty exotic stuff here.
If I didn't know what I was doing, and had no knowledge of porting. The last thing that I would do would be doing is making comprimises in this area. No who you are dealing with and don't skimp! You'll be sorry you did.

Thanks for reminding me AllRead of the things that I hadn't been thinking about.

Fun post to read. If you knew me, you know that I'd send a ticket to where ever you are just so that you could come to my shop for the weekend so that I could do some learnin'.

Old 01-31-2006 | 08:34 PM
|
Pro Rider

Rob, Randall said he wasnt sure if he should reply to this post. If you want something, you should speak up. As for this thread, if he wants my business, he should speak up. Thats all. I am seeing a growing trend in this thread though, anybody else see it.

Bigdaddy, your opinion means alot to me, thanks for the response. I hope this is helping others in there quest for more power, as it is me.

Randall, I know you want to add something, even if its just some more questions, lets hear them.

Old 01-31-2006 | 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 650VIPER
Well Randall remember, the sqeaky wheel gets the grease. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

This post will be brought up everytime somebody does a search for porting. Just a thought.
sometimes the squeaky wheel gets cruxified!

this forum is making me gunshy

Old 01-31-2006 | 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 222

That is a possibility....But As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil....

Old 01-31-2006 | 09:20 PM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 222

I can understand that. But this forum also is what got you guys known.

Old 01-31-2006 | 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

[i]
That is a possibility....But As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil....[/quote]

whew, thanks- I needed that. you are right. I'm having a spell, I'll get back in a little bit when I'm over it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Who to have Port Your head???