CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ODP Water Pump How much Temp Drop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ODP Water Pump How much Temp Drop?

I was just wondering if any one has bought this Water Pump and has put a Temp gauge on like the ESR to see if it has made a major drop or not? Its supposed to push 50% more water.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Range Rover

Moving more water is not what cools engine! Thermostat is a flow control,if you have heat problems ckeck your cooling system.Never have heating problems even with 800 on NOS using stock water pump and cover!

Old 03-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Boomer84
Moving more water is not what cools engine! Thermostat is a flow control,if you have heat problems ckeck your cooling system.Never have heating problems even with 800 on NOS using stock water pump and cover!
Gary is right on this one. Either jetted too lean or there is a problem with your stock cooling system. DS's come with already upgraded cooling systems.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

Again, I was just asking a question about the ODP Water Pump to see how much the water Temp drops, Some of you just like to argue for the sake of it, I wasnt saying the Stock System wasnt working, I was asking about a aftermarket product evaluation.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

PM Viper hes running an ODP water pump, Shrounds and no fan and lots of nitrous. I have the ODP water pump but havnt installed it yet so I dont have any first hand experience yet. Another way is an inline cooler. I beleive Sandaholic is running one of those give him a shout for the skinny on that.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I understand removing the fan for racing. I don't understand removing it for duning. If you do decide to remove it, install a guage and keep an eye on it and either keep moving or shut it down.................Or run alcohol. There would be less need for a fan if you are on alcohol.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scatterbrain
PM Viper hes running an ODP water pump, Shrounds and no fan and lots of nitrous. I have the ODP water pump but havnt installed it yet so I dont have any first hand experience yet. Another way is an inline cooler. I beleive Sandaholic is running one of those give him a shout for the skinny on that.
You STILL have not installed that thing??? You have only had it since when, August [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

Date Posted: Fri March 03, 2006 12:42 PM

ERBE,

This thread is connected to your last thread. You are complaining about your fan running all the time after the first ten minutes. Some of us who know what we are talking about are trying to help you solve your problem.

Of course you need a fan. Any liquid cooled machine needs a fan so you can stop and idle without overheating. The water pump pulls the water through the radiator. The air flows through the radiator and cools the water. The water pump sends that cooled water through the engines cooling ports. If you stop, you don't have cool air blowing through the radiator so when the temperature gets to a certain point (195 to 200 degrees usually) it triggers the fan to come on which sucks cool air through the radiator. When the temperature drops below about 195 degrees, the fan kicks off.

If your fan is running all the time, you are running over 200 degrees consistently. That isn't good for the life of your motor, so we want you to know what you are dealing with and have the knowledge to solve it.

Gary was simply saying based on your two threads, you have a problem that needs to be addressed before you buy upgrades that cost you extra money and that only bandaid the underlying cause.

The only exception to this is if you are talking about riding in 90 + degree weather as the only time you suffer from these symptoms. If that is the case than you should look at upgrades that will improve your stock cooling system to handle those kinds of temps.

You don't care for counsel, yet you are always asking questions. Why don't you save yourself a bunch of trouble and tell people upfront what advice you want them to give you then you can go do whatever you like?

Ron

Ron your making an assumption, and when you assume you........
I am not a newbie , I understand how a Four stroke and Two stroke watercooled engine works, Been riding and building machines for 20 plus years.
I Ask questions not because I have problems to solve, but to ask how well certain products will work, or to see how they had held up in the field.
I engineer process's for a living, there are ALWAYS room for improvements.

Mitch

Old 03-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amen Erb!! Good lord people, you think you know everything. Clutch slips: Adds more spring weight until you cant pull in the clutch. Head leaks-add stronger stay bolt. Head still leaks-different gasket. WoW the things we have all learned. Open your minds to better ways.

Its funny how the banshee does not run a fan, yet had sold more units than any other quad. But they benefit from a larger prop. Hmmmm.

Erb, I dont know the temp drop difference. The fan light still comes on, but usually does not stay on for long. With the prop, it pushes enough water through at low rpms to give sufficient cooling. The stock system DOES NOT push enough water at low rpm, hence this design. I DUNE my machine more than I race it, and have no need for a fan. But hey what do I know, you better ask Gary or Ron!

Old 03-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I almost wrote that on the forum. I PM'd you so you and I could handle it there............not for me but for you.

Ron

Lol, who would have ever guessed that Gary and I would be on the same side in the battle against ignorance. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So, Viper are you suggesting the DS cooling system would be improved and everyone should run without a fan? There is no downside to it?

Also, I am sure Banshees didn't run fans because it was an upgrade to the cooling system. I know it doesn't have anything to do with the fact a Banshee doesn't have a battery.......

Quick Reply: ODP Water Pump How much Temp Drop?