CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

720 kit on e-bay

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 720 kit on e-bay

Originally posted by: thebigshow
Originally posted by: Hightower
I said this,
""as far as the reliability comment # 3 about slipping, well the millions of factory sleeves installed in all motors both bike and quad alike prior to the creation of the DS didn't seem to have any problems, although point #7 about strength does try to validate the reliability statement.""

And MRHP said this,
""SLEEVES WORK FINE IN CYLINDERS THAT WERE DESIGNED FOR THEM. CAN ANYBODY HEAR WHAT I'M SAYING? The regulars can debate this till the cow's come home...""

I do not and will not argue or debate that at all. The trouble is, when the big bore cast jugs came out and all the debate was started, I cannot recall any description like the one mentioned in "point #7". All I remember is some people saying sleeves slip - a general statement aimed at the fact that some have slipped in some of the steel sleeved motors out there, and we all know that some of those that did slip were not machined or installed correctly. I do not recall a legitimate and logical explanation as to why sleeves won't work in a DS factory jug. And then top that off with some of the successes and hell yeah you got something to debate. Now sure I may have overlooked such a logical explanation, but if I did, so did alot of other people. There should have been more detailed discussions about why the DS jug does not support sleeving well, rather than just saying straight up that it doesn't.

I applaud HPR for their efforts and advancements and new products, but MRHP and 222 both you guys need to stick closer to factual explanations with less gray area, rather than sounding like you are just talking bad about competition. Many posts as well as your website are littered with very subtle and sly and casual and well thought out competetion bashing, straight up 222 style, and that is the absolute only reason why I own none of your products.

i brought this up on a post a while back, i think the world of hrp and there parts, but i do agree with you hightower. i went and checked all the different parts venders i could tthink of, and not ONE of them used the "bashing the compatition" type tactics that hrp uses on there website....i never really seen the sense in it...what are they trying to pprove? they have already proved what they are about on the track and with there customer service. i just just dont see why they want to use a classless tactic like that, it kinda casts a shadow over what they have accomplished............................your stronger willed then i am hightower, i own quite a few of there parts.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Ditto Hightower i feel the same there are other maufactures that build exellent or at minimal good parts that choose to sell on there parts good point's not the souposed'ed weaks point of here competitors.Its called the" Hi Road" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Which is why ill build another samcoe before i run a MRHP I WON"T GIVE UP MY INTEGRITY TO BE FAST....... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Slow with integrity works for me... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default 720 kit on e-bay

I just talked with John Noonan at JE piston. He was in a rush, but did say the minimum crown material required was .180 to .200 (.200 for safety).
To get to 11:1 CR, need to take off about .020 (est. assuming crown lift 2/3's of total dia) with rounded corners on stock JE 11.5:1 piston (100mm Dia): which should be an approximate 1/2 CR reduction. So 5% of the minimum required crown thickness is all that is required to mill down and then smooth all corners.

I will send another email and get the stock 11.5:1 JE Bomb piston (100mm Dia) crown thickness to complete this system task, and that way, no thick base or no thick head gaskets or no elongated top end. Looking for at least .225 stock crown material thickness on 11.5:1 JE Bomb piston (100mm Dia). Then this will be one alternative along with custom JE piston(4 req), custom CP (1 req) piston, or .037 thick base gasket. The milled stock 11.5:1 JE piston would be my preferred option, with current information.

And John said the magazine had his speed wrong at 254 mph average: it was actually 259 mph average in both directions for the 2 wheel vehicle world record.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 720 kit on e-bay

Originally posted by: AZSAND
Originally posted by: thebigshow
Originally posted by: Hightower
I said this,
""as far as the reliability comment # 3 about slipping, well the millions of factory sleeves installed in all motors both bike and quad alike prior to the creation of the DS didn't seem to have any problems, although point #7 about strength does try to validate the reliability statement.""

And MRHP said this,
""SLEEVES WORK FINE IN CYLINDERS THAT WERE DESIGNED FOR THEM. CAN ANYBODY HEAR WHAT I'M SAYING? The regulars can debate this till the cow's come home...""

I do not and will not argue or debate that at all. The trouble is, when the big bore cast jugs came out and all the debate was started, I cannot recall any description like the one mentioned in "point #7". All I remember is some people saying sleeves slip - a general statement aimed at the fact that some have slipped in some of the steel sleeved motors out there, and we all know that some of those that did slip were not machined or installed correctly. I do not recall a legitimate and logical explanation as to why sleeves won't work in a DS factory jug. And then top that off with some of the successes and hell yeah you got something to debate. Now sure I may have overlooked such a logical explanation, but if I did, so did alot of other people. There should have been more detailed discussions about why the DS jug does not support sleeving well, rather than just saying straight up that it doesn't.

I applaud HPR for their efforts and advancements and new products, but MRHP and 222 both you guys need to stick closer to factual explanations with less gray area, rather than sounding like you are just talking bad about competition. Many posts as well as your website are littered with very subtle and sly and casual and well thought out competetion bashing, straight up 222 style, and that is the absolute only reason why I own none of your products.

i brought this up on a post a while back, i think the world of hrp and there parts, but i do agree with you hightower. i went and checked all the different parts venders i could tthink of, and not ONE of them used the "bashing the compatition" type tactics that hrp uses on there website....i never really seen the sense in it...what are they trying to pprove? they have already proved what they are about on the track and with there customer service. i just just dont see why they want to use a classless tactic like that, it kinda casts a shadow over what they have accomplished............................your stronger willed then i am hightower, i own quite a few of there parts.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Ditto Hightower i feel the same there are other maufactures that build exellent or at minimal good parts that choose to sell on there parts good point's not the souposed'ed weaks point of here competitors.Its called the" Hi Road" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Which is why ill build another samcoe before i run a MRHP I WON"T GIVE UP MY INTEGRITY TO BE FAST....... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Slow with integrity works for me... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Bashing????? must be another site that I never went to???? Give me a break!!! Others weak points cost me a ton and I was glad to know about them!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 720 kit on e-bay

OH!!! HPR did not have to tell about weak points[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 04-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 720 kit on e-bay

Originally posted by: yjacket2001
I just talked with John Noonan at JE piston. He was in a rush, but did say the minimum crown material required was .180 to .200 (.200 for safety).
To get to 11:1 CR, need to take off about .020 (est. assuming crown lift 2/3's of total dia) with rounded corners on stock JE 11.5:1 piston (100mm Dia): which should be an approximate 1/2 CR reduction. So 5% of the minimum required crown thickness is all that is required to mill down and then smooth all corners.

I will send another email and get the stock 11.5:1 JE Bomb piston (100mm Dia) crown thickness to complete this system task, and that way, no thick base or no thick head gaskets or no elongated top end. Looking for at least .225 stock crown material thickness on 11.5:1 JE Bomb piston (100mm Dia). Then this will be one alternative along with custom JE piston(4 req), custom CP (1 req) piston, or .037 thick base gasket. The milled stock 11.5:1 JE piston would be my preferred option, with current information.

And John said the magazine had his speed wrong at 254 mph average: it was actually 259 mph average in both directions for the 2 wheel vehicle world record.
Well go polish your "dome" and let us know how it comes out, or are you gonna have John the 2 wheel world record holder polish your **** for you?? So your also telling us that you stoned that poor SOB and are continuing to do so, so he can sell you a $165.00 dollar piston. Bet JE will be celibrating big time after that sale.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 720 kit on e-bay

Once again, I said this,

""The trouble is, when the big bore cast jugs came out and all the debate was started, I cannot recall any description like the one mentioned in "point #7". All I remember is some people saying sleeves slip - a general statement aimed at the fact that some have slipped in some of the steel sleeved motors out there, and we all know that some of those that did slip were not machined or installed correctly. I do not recall a legitimate and logical explanation as to why sleeves won't work in a DS factory jug.""

Coming on and saying a sleeve don't work and using a few accounts of slipping sleeves, that for all we know were due to incorrect machining, does not validate anything. But offering a logical explanation of why sleeves may be prone to slipping in a DS jug by giving straight info about the specifics might. So what I am saying is that it would have been nice for this more specific info to have been introduced a long time ago, and actually discussed on that level in posts, becasue that is what this forum is supposed to be for. But the lack of this, combined with the sarcasm against the competition as described earlier, is naturally enough for some people to go ahead and explore the other options. And if there is anybody who doesn't understand this, well then I just don't know what else to say, there is no getting through to you.

I do wonder though, why do sleeves have to slip? If enough tension cannot be had in a thin bored aluminum wall to hold the sleeve, as described in HPR's point #7, cannot a small step or shoulder be machined in each to fit together? Or maybe there is a new flame spray technology that can be utilized on the case end of the cylinder to adhere metal to metal with a fillet of alloy that adheres to both metals? Flame spray of alloys is used in the industry I am in to adhere unlike metals. Does anybody know what method Pami is utilizing to bond their aluminum sleeves into the bored out DS cylinder? See man, these are the question that would have came out in the event of a big discussion as described above, and it would have and could have been fun. All explanations of anything always lead to even more questions, basically that's what a conversation is really.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default 720 kit on e-bay

Old 04-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default 720 kit on e-bay

As I wrote before on the 720 kit:
The piston was only 105mm, when I measured it the piston read 105.3mm was hopping to be a 730 but still i'm a happy clam with 720, walls look thick was worried about being too thin and the cylinder is nikasil coated.
Still getting parts for the head and wont be doing the top end untill I can do the whole motor in 1 shot. Text Millennium Technoligies
I also measured the wall thickness at the bottom of the Cylinder was 0.155" thick, heck that was thicker than the cylinder I sent them before the being sleeved.
I copied this list from the HPR web site
New cylinder VS re sleeved cylinder:
1. Horsepower: up to 3% loss by resleeving a plated cylinder (Mine is Plated Also)
2. Engine life: Cast iron and steel wear 10 times faster (Mine Is Aluminum and did I mention Plated also?)
3. Reliability: Sleeves can slip and turn in the bore (Again mine is Aluminum and will EXPAND at the same rate as the rest of the cylinder walls.)
4. Lubricity (thats the Nikasil and oh mine is coated also)
5. Cooling: Cast iron and steel don't transfer heat as efficiently (Good thing its Aluminum with a Nikasil coating see #03)
6. Design: Your cyl was plated for a reason from the factory (yep It sure is Plated.......nikasil dontcha know)
7. Strength: boring the stock jug leaves less than 0.080 wall thickness to hold the sleeve and transfer heat (Total wall thickness at the bottom base of teh cylinder is 0.155" and teh top is 0.230")
8. Head gasket seal: boring the stock jug leaves little surface for the head gasket to seal .( I have 0.230" flat edge on top how much more do I need? what is stock on a DS? what is the surface area on the 730kit?)
9. Reputation: as of 9/16/05, HPR production cylinders boast ZERO failures since they were introduced (Millennium Technologies states in there web add We're so sure of our work, we stand behind it with a LIFETIME warranty) <--thats on the Coating only Folks! Com'on we need a little common sense here its a race motor, and how many venders will warrenty there parts ??

Old 04-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 720 kit on e-bay

Hightower,

From recent interaction I have gained a respect for you and I hope I can speak for both of us and say we understand eachother a little better now.

I looked all over HPR's website to find who they were despairaging. They never used any names. I think they honestly believe that people need to know the risks they are taking by going some of these other routes............from their perspective. You don't have to agree with them that the risks are there. That is okay. If they honestly believe that people are getting sold something that isn't good from their experience, how should they go about educating people on what they think is right? "To whom it may concern", I have had a conversation with a builder before I started looking at what HPR had to offer that made them personally out to be dishonest guys. They didn't put anything on their website but they had no problem discussing it. After I talked with Randall a bit, I decided to give him a chance and he has been nothing but completely straight with me. (I even screwed up my own build a little this winter and they ate all but $200 of a fair amount of cost just to get me back on the road............and it was my fault! Sorry Randall, I had to say something about that) In all of this and in all of the conversations, they have always stuck to the physics of the build concepts. I do not recall ever once one of them naming another builder and attacking them..........only the proceedure that was, in their mind, inadaquate.

That has been my real experience. I am not ******* you in any way, but I believe that they believe that people need to know the real world difference between what they are offering and what is currently available elsewhere.

My point is this; it all boils down to what each of us chooses to believe about someone else's intentions. I have nothing but good experience so I tend to look at what happens through that optic. There are some who for whatever reason have decided they don't like HPR's style so everything that happens from that point on is looked at through that optic. We will see the same actions and end up at a different conclusion as to the underlying motives.

I personally have never heard anyone question the quality or performance of their stuff. It is always price or style....... How does that saying go? "We offer Good, Fast and Cheap............you may pick any two".....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Just one customer's opinion on the matter.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ron

Old 04-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!
Default 720 kit on e-bay

Don't quote me on ths becasue im not trying to quote anyone but in a thread awhile back i seen someone say 'yada' 'yada' 'yada' About tvi 720 and the response from said builder was oh yea ive gotten about a twentyfive people call with the same problem and i happen to know for a fact gary hasn't even sold that many big bores to date.So these things as you see do influence peoples decisions.And demean the the the other builders out there.My only concern is we not run all the other choices off there is not enough ds builders out there and most that do it do it as a love for the ds not a living.so when he guy's that are doing this for a living find out there is not enough money to support there program where will we be [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 720 kit on e-bay