CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

RENEGADE 800!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RENEGADE 800!!!!

Originally posted by: RPyfz450
Originally posted by: DieselTech
There's really only 2 things I don't like about this Renegade: 1) It's heavy, and 2) it's a CVT tranny.

Somebody needs to build a true sport 4x4 quad - it needs to have big power, EFI, selectable 2/4wd, great suspension, under 500 lbs., and a manual tranny! I'll even take IRS
I agree with all of the points above. I bigger engine is not the best answer to an over weight design. I think there's a place for the Renegade, just not in my garage.

I prefer Polaris' thinking. They added more capability to Outlaw by giving it unmatched ground clearance in a sport-ATV package. If you put a lightweight winch on the Outlaw, I think you'd have an answer to every argument.

When ATVs are 500 pounds and heavier, you become disconnected with the true thrill of our sport because you are now "driving" and ATV rather than "riding" it.
Well, I like the Outlaw myself, and if it had 4wd it wouldn't need a winch for all but extreme situations. I think 800cc is too big - the damn thing is heavy partly b/c of this fact! I envision extensive use of aluminum alloy or titanium in order to meet the 500 pound weight limit I'd like to see. And for almost $10k, that should be do-able. It's not an impossible thing - hell, switching to a smaller engine and manual trans will go a long way to meeting the weight goal. The Outlaw is 439 lbs. dry, so they would have 60 lbs. to play with without trying to cut any weight using lighter components. Yamaha got the Wolverine 450 pretty close at 516 lbs. - and it has a CVT Belt auto tranny! I think it's totally possible.

I'm not looking to see a sport 4x4 compete with the 450r's - that's just stupid. But why can't there be a true sport 4x4 instead of utility 4x4's with sporty plastic? The original Wolverine 350 was about as close to what I'm thinking as we've seen. Yamaha's biggest mistake with the remake was to go to a CVT tranny.....I'm sorry, but a sport quad implies shift it yourself. Period.

Just my 1/50th of a dollar's worth............. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best
Default RENEGADE 800!!!!

Man I dunno. Ive put allotta miles on the outlander 800 and only things to make it a sport are differnt tires and shox.. wich the renagade has.. I think if ya'll just Sat your *** on one of them ranagades it would blow your mind.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:18 AM
Range Rover
Default RENEGADE 800!!!!

The Wolverine is a 516 lbs without IRS, how much weight does that add?

Old 05-10-2006, 03:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default RENEGADE 800!!!!

The Renegade is a '4x4' 800 that weigh's about 600pounds!!! Thats incredible... less than its brother the outtie. Even though the sportsmen isn't a sport-utility, the renegade is a feather compared to the tank.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:37 AM
Trailblazer
Default RENEGADE 800!!!!

Guys, guys - don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that BRP/Can-Am didn't do a great job - they did. I'm not criticizing the machine, I've never even ridden it! I'm just giving my opinion on what I think the perfect sport 4x4 would be like.

I'd just like to point out, also, that while yes, the Renegade IS lighter that the Outlander, the Outlander is a heavy machine, designed as a recreational/utility 4x4. I say that you have to compare it to sport 4x4's, and right now I can think of only 2 - the Wolverine (old or new) and the Scrambler, and both weigh significantly less. As a matter of fact, I personally prefer a 2-stroke over a 4-stroke, and that saves weight too. I don't know about you, but I'm noot happy with a 600 lb. 4x4 - I think that they can bring the weight down if they try. Problem is, they will only do it as long as it is cost-effective - if it costs too much, then forget it. Let's keep in mind that part of the design process includes SALES.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default RENEGADE 800!!!!

Originally posted by: DieselTech
Guys, guys - don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that BRP/Can-Am didn't do a great job - they did. I'm not criticizing the machine, I've never even ridden it! I'm just giving my opinion on what I think the perfect sport 4x4 would be like.

I'd just like to point out, also, that while yes, the Renegade IS lighter that the Outlander, the Outlander is a heavy machine, designed as a recreational/utility 4x4. I say that you have to compare it to sport 4x4's, and right now I can think of only 2 - the Wolverine (old or new) and the Scrambler, and both weigh significantly less. As a matter of fact, I personally prefer a 2-stroke over a 4-stroke, and that saves weight too. I don't know about you, but I'm noot happy with a 600 lb. 4x4 - I think that they can bring the weight down if they try. Problem is, they will only do it as long as it is cost-effective - if it costs too much, then forget it. Let's keep in mind that part of the design process includes SALES.
I agree with you deiseltech. Right now the best sport 4x4 out there is a nicely modded 4x4 scrambler 400 2 stroke. 50 plus hp and 550lbs with 4wd. If it was a manual it would be even better.

Isnt all the japanese quads 600lbs anyways? so 600lbs isnt a big improvement on weight with the renegade. With that said I would love to have a renegade but it isnt a sport 4x4. One doesnt exist yet. Why is it that the big 4 can make a 420lb 180hp motrocycle but they cant produce a sport quad with 4x4 for 500lbs with 50hp?

Old 05-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best
Default RENEGADE 800!!!!

Honestly if you think about it.. They keep the utes HEAVY so you think.. GEE THIS THING IS HEAVY AND I DONT WANT IT ON TOP OF ME.. Imagine how many amatures will get hurt on just the renagade let alone cut another 100 lbs off with 62hp.. thats like tthrowin a 10 year old on the outlander or my brothers roomate. she is 100 lbs.. her on the outlander is insane. with my bro at 210lbs on the outlander its really close with my raptor. with her on the ouitlander.. i dont have a prayer.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default RENEGADE 800!!!!

As soon as the Renegade was introduce, i've notice lots of newcomers to the bomb forum... either their jumpin on the band wagon or just jealous and here to critisize

Old 05-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default RENEGADE 800!!!!

Just wiondering if anyone would know around what range would the top speed be on the renegade and what would the top speed be like compared to the outlander 800. I'd say it should be fairly easy to do wheelies with too

Old 05-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer
Default RENEGADE 800!!!!

i was just wondering how the top speed of the renegade would compare to the top speed of the outlander 800 and i wonder but i doubt it that it would keep up with a raptor 700 in top end

Quick Reply: RENEGADE 800!!!!