CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Memorial weekend on the Oregon DUNES!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Memorial weekend on the Oregon DUNES!!!!!

Originally posted by: cynick
Sounds like most of you had fun. How much is the ticket on the coast if you get one for db? Just curious. So how much is big D's roll gonna cost him? As for us we were suppose to go riding yesterday just on the dirt but is was raining so we decided not to but my husband was bored so he went out to ride in the back yard. Well he was doing a wheelie and wheelied over and caused $200 worth of damage. That was just the back yard. O what fun.

How much can a ticket run you...? Noise ticket is $244

Hypothetically this could be Crash...and departure of large sums of money..accurance June 1..... Crash is sitting at a top of a large dune right next to the boundary line, he goes to get back on and oops they both go sliding off down the dune past the boundary sign. In Crash's valiant attempt to get back on the right side of the line the quads takes a mind of its own, and pitches Crash off and breaks a flag. In the mean time the loan ranger and his protege sees a bunch of us standing on top of a hill stairing down at something on the other side of the line, they come over and buy the time its all said and done a ticket has been written out itemized as follows:

Out of bounds (encroaching on the natural habitat of Snowy Plover) $270
Faulty malfuntioning equiment (absence of 9" tall flag) $150
Absence of current off road permit(New permit sitting on the dashboard of pickup, but forgot to stick it on that morning) $250
Noise violation $244
Mr. Crash you have a ticket that summons you to Coos Country circut court for the sum of $914, and you can bet your a$s that Mr Dick is going to show up at court to tell his side of the story........

I've actually been quoted these numbers by the long arm of the law on different occasions, but have somehow talked my way out of all but the most recent occurance of db.....

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Wow That would suck I hope I don't have that problem. But I guess you never know.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Sound tickets huh,that sucks.I hope the sound cops did not check your quads in the parking lot because that is against their policy.I e-mailed their office a couple of years back and complained about getting checked in the parking lot and i was told that the sound checks were to be done on the sand.Any obstruction like a truck and or trailer will cause the soundwaves to bounce back to the decibel meter and give falsely high readings.I am going to reduce the number of discs on my bajas pipe slowly until i see a decrease in performance and then go slightly back up to try and get closer to the requirements.Monday at the new comp hill at Florence we saw a banshee rider get a sound ticket and a ticket for no off road sticker,that must have been expensive.It would seem that the law enforcement officers could find something more constructive to do with their time but then they would be missing out on all that revenue i suppose.I can understand sound compliance to a point but out on the dunes far away from any houses?I guess that we will all have to learn to live with it because it is becoming more of an issue all the time.I got my first excessive noise warning on the sand at Florence in 1976 on my the brand new Honda 250 elsinore (yes i am that old)and even then i was told that it will be enforced more strictly in the future and until now it has not happened but i think it is coming.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

There are a bunch of wussy little babies that live along the dunes in Florence. They have been threatening to sew the State (or Rangers, or whatever it is there) to shut them down completly. Now the sound buffer areas and "A" sound limit in Florence I can see to a point. 93db is crap. Those peoples law mowers are louder then that. But there are no houses or anything that is hurt in the Winchester and Coos areas. They just decided to be jerks all around and push the issues. It is crap is all I have to say. Crash's HMF was sound checked in the parking lot at 102. It is not that loud in the dunes, due to the obstructions that were around it. That pipe cannot be heard that far away, I just feel it is a money scam now...But good point on the parking lot. Nut and fryguy, was that a ranger, or Sherrif that gave him the ticket? I know that the Ranger can only get you on the sand, but can the Sherriff give one in the parking lot???

Old 05-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

Dragon-I never thought about the possibility of using the local residents own sound violations against them such as you said a lawnmower or possibly a loud Harley,hot rod,or whatever it is they own that is offensive to others.I dont want to start anything with any locals at Florence but if this turns into a real battle for our riding rights it may work to a degree to point out that the very complainers may be violating the sound laws themselves.I will get very involved in fighting the sound issue and our right to ride if necessary and i think i would have plenty of help.I believe in complying with the laws but when the (law) is strictly for the purpose of revenue i have different ideas.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:54 AM
Range Rover

The ticket was issued in the parking lot, and issued by a county sheriff officer. I brought up the question asking if we shouldn't be out on the sand for a sound violation, and we only got a long winded answer from the sheriff that he has the authority to issue fines for sound ordinance violation anywhere in the state. His protoge wanted to sound check the rest of the bikes in our group sitting in the parking lot, but I guess lucky for us they only picked on one bike to make their authority known. I would be curious if anyone has any legal background and be able to come up with our rights to whether we have to start up our bikes... if they were out on the sand, we could tow them back in, or if they are in a parking lot, there isn't any reason to have to start them up.....any one know?

Back to the good stuff....Saturday at South Jetty, there was this built big bore Raptor, that NUT was running, NUT would give the rappy a run for its money, then it would hand it back to him, this went on, off and on through out the day. At the end of the day NUT, gets this great idea to chanllenge the guy to a grudge match, best out of 3. I get on the mighty DS730, only to see a little scrawny guy jocky the Raptor up to the line, I say hmmm, this isn't going to be as easy as we thought. Depending on who's point of view you are asking, we won 2 out of the three runs. It was an end of a great day, and that is what we have to focus on in stead of the fines and stupid folks that enforce them(not all of them are stupid, just the ones that I've met)
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 05-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yah, that rent-a-cop in training was some piece of work.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I have an attorney that works next to my office. She is really sharp and since she gets my help from time to time witnessing documents being signed, I felt free to ask her council on this matter.

We do have the right to refuse unless the cops have probable cause. Probable cause would be someone pointing our bike out specifically and complaining about the noise, or the cop himself actually hearing the bike run and suspecting a violation.

Here is the problem. This will force the cop to go get a warrant which it is likely he will do because he is pissed. The bike gets impounded probably on the spot pending the warrant. The cop will then tack on every violation he can find possibly including failure to follow the instructions of a police officer and obstruction of justice.........again because he is pissed. The other thing is, if you make even the slightest wrong move or say the wrong thing he can arrest you and you will be very shocked to hear his description of your behavior when you get to court. It will be your word against theirs and you know how that goes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

It is entirely possible they will just move on, but are all of these possible scenario's worth the risk. The only trump you would have in playing this game would be if you knew you were legal. If you finally passed the sound check after all that, they couldn't do anything to you. Of course if you knew you were legal, just take the sound check. Much quicker and less riding down time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Here is what I wonder..........when the cop puts a lock on your bike and says don't move, I will be back with a warrant.........obviously if it won't start when they get back they will suspect you of sabotage and that will make things worse. However, if you have a disc system on your exhaust, I bet they wouldn't notice that you removed 4 or 5 discs while they were gone getting their warrant. They come back and sound check your ride and you pass, then they are SOL.

The other thing is if you are just sitting in camp, the db requirement is 99db since that is the state requirement. If they walk up to you even without probable cause they can ask to sound check you and you have to decide whether to let them or not. It isn't a bad idea to have a secret way of disabling spark that you have in place when sitting at camp on the big weekends when the cops are viscious. If it is already disabled when they ask to sound check you, it isn't obstruction of justice. You simply say, "won't start. have to take it to my mechanic when I get home". You can allow them to try so you don't have to face the above risks, then they will most likely give you some lame verbal warning and leave. Ya better hope you don't run into them again though with your bike running or they will be pissed and that doesn't lead anywhere good[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Later

Old 05-31-2006, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

Ron.We were out at comp hill at Florence Monday when the banshee rider i mentioned got the ticket and we saw him disable his quad and the cops did not fall for that.They made him start it up.I have used my open end cap which gives me better performance but i dont like having to look over my shoulder constantly.I am hoping that if i get checked with my disced end cap that i would get a chance to quiet it down by removing discs but that probably depends on the cop and what kind of a day he is having.I am very supportive of law enforcement in general but even though i have looked at this from all angles i cant figure out why it is such an issue other than money and that is just wrong.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: duneittilludie
Ron.We were out at comp hill at Florence Monday when the banshee rider i mentioned got the ticket and we saw him disable his quad and the cops did not fall for that.They made him start it up.I have used my open end cap which gives me better performance but i dont like having to look over my shoulder constantly.I am hoping that if i get checked with my disced end cap that i would get a chance to quiet it down by removing discs but that probably depends on the cop and what kind of a day he is having.I am very supportive of law enforcement in general but even though i have looked at this from all angles i cant figure out why it is such an issue other than money and that is just wrong.
I have my stand by all prepared....."Dangit Crash, you let me forget to put in the quite core!" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] That kid is always getting me into trouble...

Old 06-01-2006, 01:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: duneittilludie
Yah, sabotaging your ride after they catch is not smart. However, if they come into camp while your bike is just sitting there and want to sound check it, if it won't start, there isn't much that can be done............that I can see.

Hmmmmmmmmm. You could always take off, find a place to ditch the bike, go find a pay phone and report it stolen and let the cops return it to your camp[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Seriously, most of us with mods are running enough fuel and air through our motor that if we ran a pipe that conforms to decibal regulations the EGT's would cook our heads.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Memorial weekend on the Oregon DUNES!!!!!