CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Honda Recon troubles please help(I am not getting responses from the Honda forum)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Recon troubles please help(I am not getting responses from the Honda forum)

Well to start off my neighbor is having me look over his recon because it wouldn't start so I figured that it was his carb, which I was right...the pilot jet had fallen out so I put the jet back in and turned it all the way in and didn't turn it out any because I didn't want it to fall back out again...Now I put everything back together and was cranking it over for a while with nothing, then all the sudden a gun shot went off and when I say that I am being dead serious...my family and neighbors came rushing out seeing if I was ok...haha...So I stopped cranking it until I felt that it wasn't flouded any longer so went back and tried it again and baam the same thing...I am not sure if it is coming out of the carb or the exhuast because it scares the heck out of me everytime and can't tell where exactly it is backfiring...I took out the plug today and it was black as could be and was wet due to fludding it...My neighbor before me ran the battery dead trying to start it so I am not sure how much gas is in the engine...He was starting to get low in the tank, but enough to get the bike started and run it for a little while...So my question to you guys is what could be causing this? It has spark since I checked it and can tell it's igniting, but I think the pilot jet needs to be turned out about 2 1/2 turns and I need a new spark plug...any help would be greately appreciated and I think too much gas in the cylinder has to do with it backfiring because my neighbor ran the battery dead with gas flowing into the cylinder without a pilot jet.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:43 PM
amd
Pro Rider
Default Honda Recon troubles please help(I am not getting responses from the Honda forum)

Is the spark plug wet? If it isnt then it is not getting enough fuel, which sounds to me like the problem. The pilot jet is either in or out, there is no adjusting it that way. Screw it in and snug it up to tighten. Clean the plug or put a new one in it, and make sure it is getting fuel. Since it is backfiring it is firing. Also check and make sure it didnt blow the carb off when it backfired. Try that and see what happens.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Is always changing bikes.

start with a new plug. make sure that the carb is clean.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys I appreciate your responses and figured the brp forums would pull through...The plug was wet and I told my neighbor to get me a new plug which he didn't so I tried cleaning up the other one he had...I did notice some dirt in the carb so I will clean the carb fully tom and don't turn the pilot jet out any(thnx for the tip I was told to do so before, but maybe they mixed it up with the screw) and same goes with the main jet also you adjust that by the needle...So I will clean the carb out fully tom and see if I can get her to work, but from having it fludded do you think it will cause the backfiring or do you think it is a mix of the carb and obviously the black plug. Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider
Is always changing bikes.

prolly a mix of both, but with the plug out turn the fuel off and crank it over a couple times to get the gas that might be sitting in the cyl. out. dont adjust the needle for the jetting. if nothing has been done to it the carb set up should remain the same.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

Alright thanks...when I get home form school today I will clean the carb fully and make sure I get all of the extra gas out of the cylinder and I will let you know how it goes.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys I just wanted to thank you guys again for the input and help...My dad picked up a new plug today and I gapped it and put her in...I was hopeing that did the job and it did, man was I happy to hear that engine purr...Thanks again guys and I knew I could count on the brp guys to pull through.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:08 PM
amd
Pro Rider

Glad to hear it was simple....