CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Best clutch for my DS650?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best clutch for my DS650?

So I got my clutch in tonight. I'm really bummed about this 30? Ohio weather after 70? on Mon & Tues tho! Anyway I did as advised: sanded lightly, soaked for 30 minutes and everything went surprisingly well. Until I tried to ride it. It felt good but first my quad wouldn't start because my stock 01 battery is giving out so I had to jump it. Then it kept missing while running (badly) battery I hope....So finally in the cold 10pm night air I rode it. It shifted hard... way hard. but it felt good on the hand & released OK. I couldn't get it into neutral unless I shut it off. While the clutch adjustment on the handlebar & clutch actuator were in spec I moved the actuator back one spline. The spec is 68-75mm. I was at 69. I went to above 74. This allowed me to tune the adjustment on the handlebar better. On my old clutch it was almost out of thread. Now I'm almost all in. Anyway at least it wasn't moving with the clutch pulled in now! So I rode some more after another jump start. I puttered in 1st & 2nd. Then I got slowly up to 4th & back down. So it got to shifting a tad better plus the engine/clutch was filled with warm oil now too. So I ride it a bit & started to find neutral easier. It was going up thru the gears smoother too. So then I start to get in it a tad more. Shifting faster etc. I'm running about 3/4 throttle thru the gears. So finally I take it on the road & slow roll in 1st. I jump in the gas & chirp the tires into 2nd & stand it up (big happy face now). I got out of the gas gunned it again& 3rd & 4th certainly had a nice "buck". No revving engine like before. So I park it again & let it sit. About 10 minutes later & I go out one last time & do three more short runs. The clutch felt much better (not great tho) & it jumped good when shifted.
Sooo.... should I have ran it longer before "beating " on it? I wanted to but I was freezing & was really wanting to know how it "felt." I hope I didn't damage a new clutch now that I'm back inside. I must say my old clutch looked really good (my fine shifting I guess). Just 6 years old is all.

So my questions....
1. Does a weak battery that needs jump started make a DS misfire?

2. Should I have babied my DS longer than 5 minutes before beating on it?

LAST> 3. I put the new plates in exactly how I found to online which also I how the old ones were....

From the inside it out it went.
steel, green friction, steel, reg friction, steel, reg friction etc till I turned the last green friction in the other notch & installed cover & springs.

On the little blue card in the box tho it says "The 'odd' plate(s) in this set is to be installed at ends of clutch pack. First friction in, last friction out. These plates may be green or brown in color. This is to minimize wear on aluminum surfaces."

Thats makes it sould like my first plate from the inside out should have been green friction instead of steel, but the other DS guys instructions said steel & my stock one was that way. Can anyone advise? Its like my "book-ends" should be green friction, but then I'd have an extra steel right?

Thanks guys