CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Need Help on rear axle removal!!! (stuck brake hub??)!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help on rear axle removal!!! (stuck brake hub??)!!

Alright im doing some routine maintenance on the 730 in prep for our utah trip. My last item to fix (save the best for last!) is to replace the axle bearings. I am doing this not because I feel slop (well maybe a tiny bit) but because I cannot rotate the bearing carrier in the swingarm housing (sand/dirt build up im guessing) and cannot adjust the poor chain (its way too lose for comfort).

I have taken everything off to the point where I have the chain off and the only thing left on the axle is the hub on the right side (sprocket side) along wit hthe sprocket. On the left side all I have left on now is the brake rotor hub. I pulled off the little snap-ring thing, the washer and twisted off the large axle nut. I even pulled off the brake rotor itself even though i know it wasnt necessary.

My issue is I can pull the brake hub about 2 1/2 inches but its getting hung up where that circular snap-ring type thing sits against that groove. Is this supposed to fit over that raised groove on the axle (allowing me to slide it completely off, and slide the axle out of the housing)? I dont see why it shouldnt, but I am fearing damage to that raised area which would not let that retaining ring/washer sit properly.

Anybody have any ideas for me? I have a new aluminum rear sprocket I was going to put on, but the one on there now looks fresh enough to leave on (so i would rather not unbolt the 6/8 bolts on the sprocket hub if I dont have to).

Any ideas would be great! I have the pig stripped down in the garage and some people get cranky if they cant park their car in there.

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 03-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

Im taking the axle off also, the snap ring and a collar come off and I used a plastic hammer and tap the Break Hub off and then slides off the axle

Old 03-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

ok so i should just use a mallet or something to keep hitting the hub till it goes off the left side of the axle?? I just dont want to ruin that little raised area the little circular snap-ring collar/washer goes on!

Old 03-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

I just tried taking a block of wood/hammer to the left side of the axle (to make it come out the right side, if looking at the quad from behind). NO GO! That brake hub just wont go over that raised area... I hate to use anymore force than I already am as I dont want to permanently damage that lip!

any ideas would be awesome!

Old 03-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

Alright im getting frustrated now... I just tried a 12 pound sledge and a block of wood (hitting on the left side of the axle to push it though and hopefully pop that brake hub over the raised area the ring sits in, so it can slide the rest of the way off)...but NO LUCK! Is it even possible to pull the axle through the other way (taking the sprocket & sprocket hub off and pushing it out the left side)????? At this point I would do it just so I can get this project finished...but when I looked at it, it dosnt look like it can come off that way!

ANY help is much appreciated!!!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

Alright well after a break to cool-off (was getting pissed!) I went back at it with the sledge and a block of wood and finally broke it loose. I didnt know there was an o-ring inside there to seal it, and that is what was getting stuck on the raised part of the axle.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:57 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouln't have to hit it that hard. It comes off in one position easier then another. You just have to rotate the brake hub around and keep tapping it and it will come off easy. I found it easier to tap with a dead blow hammer with the brake rotor still on.

When you are putting it back together make sure you have a torque wrench that works both ways and the axle nut tool to get the proper pre-load on the bearings.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

i think my torque wrench works both ways...but Ill have to check. Do you know the torque specs for all these bolts and nuts I just ripped off with wreckless abandon? (lol)

I dont have the axle nut tool, but I do have a few pairs of pipe wrenches that could knock out a 3000 lb steer, which seem to do a pretty good job.

How much pressure should I put on the bearings with the locking axle nut? I have adjusted mine on my old 03 before (it came loose...i was ignorant at the time and just put it about as tight as I could and locked it down).

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Part number for the axle tool is #529035720
You could probably make one, its just a crowfoot with 2.5" opening for the axle nut.

Specs:
preload bearings to 97 foot pounds, spin the axle a few times, loose it, turn axle again and retorque to 50 foot pounds. Turn axle again and re-torque to 50 pounds.

I don't think there is a spec for the lock nut. I just tighten mine as much as I can by hand.