CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Q's on a CT disk type exhaust for DS 730

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q's on a CT disk type exhaust for DS 730

As you may have read in other recent posts by me, I'm adding a few parts to my 730. Once again, I'm not impressed by after market parts. I've been asking around here for help from guys who run this stuff and know how to make it work. Thank you all for the help.

I've been using the stock exhaust with the end cap. We have decided that an aftermarket exhaust is what is what I need. I said I had an RWR pipe and I was told to try it. I made a mistake, it is a CT with the disk silencer. The previous owner had it on a 650 and told me to put in a few more disks for the big bore. In doing so, I didn't like how it works. I realize when the disks go together, they create a gap and the more disks, the more gaps and more air can pass thru. The thing is, there don't look like there are enough gaps to move the same air as a stock end cap much less the mod end cap that we all know works so well. Another thing, what creates the gap is the raised area around the hole when the disks were stamped. Some of those raised areas are not big enough so some disks mate together on the inside and do not allow air to pass between them. Is this silencer even an option for performance or is it purly for spark arresting?

Does anyone run this on a 730? I will be comparing it to another quad this Memorial Day I will try both to see. I wish I had a Stalker.

I await your experience and opinions

Frank

Old 05-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I have the graydon seems like the same pipe, looking at them, they have an open end cap for that pipe. the disk make what feels like a different torque range, and the revs seem slower. That being said powroll tells me that the honda we had them do does better with the disk. for the price of the end cap you would have the best open for all out racing and the disks if you need to be quiet.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is some details on Super Trapp Discs

Supertrapp Details

Old 05-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!

I run 12 disks on my stock bore and the CT pipe has no problems up top. It is designed as a mid-top end pipe. Compare the header and midpipe to stock and you will see why. It will take away some of your bottom end but that shouldn't be an issue on a 730.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Range Rover

got a thunder alley on my 800 and use the stock header....
had a full big gun system on my 730, but the thunder alley
blows it away.. power from top to bottom, its the next best thing
to a HPR top gun( which arnt avalable anymore) he will build ya a
open end or a supper trap end, but you have to buy the supper trap stuff your self.... price was 265.00 shipped when i got mine this spring....
theres some other guys on here that got um to maybe thay will chime in
with there opinions to... good luck on your choice......
chris.....

Old 05-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

O.K., I tried the pipe and went considerably slower. It revs slower(like sandman said) and has less up top. Now, to be fair, I'm lean on top and am out of jets so I can't throw it out yet. But, I don't like the design. It relies on punched burrs to keep the disks apart. Some of mine touch making no gap in some areas. Fine, lets say they work as they should on paper. They have a 2.375 I.D. and .023 gap. Each disk provides .1715 sq inches of open area(2.375 x 3.14 x .023). now 15 disks make 16 gaps so .1715 x 16 equals 2.744 sq. inches of open area (minus a bit for mounting screws). My stock pipe has a 2.5 inch I.D providing 4.9 sq inches of open area. They say the disks provide scavenging but it would have to be near double. What do you think? Am I thinking this right. Being a four stroke, I know the exhaust has plenty of bleed down time but remember how well our exhausts worked with the bigger end cap. Now, when I tried the CT, I spaced the disks out to provide a 5 sq. inch outlet area. I just couldn't see wasting time when some disks offered no opening. Maybe I I should have.

Flux, I am curious why you run the stock head pipe. Why does it work better?

To be clear, I'm not shopping for another exhaust. I'm happy with my stock but it is loud. I already have the CT so if it works better or the same but quieter, I will run it. Otherwise it will be scraped.

Thanks for the input.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Range Rover

I don't have a big bore, but I have a stage 2 stock bore and mine really seems to like 12-14 disk. I've tried up to 20, but right now I'm at 13 and it runs stronger now than it did with more disk.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:03 AM
916 Reaper - Pure Evil Inside!

I have a Thunder Alley as well. Great pipe!

I also just got my hands on an HPR Top Gun. When I get my 770 put back together I am gonna do some dyno testing with the Top Gun and discs.

Chris

Old 05-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Range Rover

i run the stock headpipe, well for one its stainless and two
its the best one out there... i dont think anyone makes a aftermarket
headpipe that will out preform the stock pipe....
and as far as exhaust flow with suppertrap discs, i have 18 discs on
my thunder alley and a open end cap so it flows strait out.. i can
put my hand over the end at idle and the motor dosnt choke out or even
change the idle speed... i know this isnt a means to end all test, but it dose
show how well the discs do flow..... and the omly power loss i can feel with
the end closed is up top....
chris....

Old 05-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

I run a custon CT pipe with 14 discs and it seems to flow really well.

Quick Reply: Q's on a CT disk type exhaust for DS 730