CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Greydon Skidplate vs. Stock nylon skids

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2001, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have this Greydon Skidplate sitting here. Each time I go to put it on I look at the very tough, thick nylon skids, one for the sprocket and one for the brake, and quit. The stock plastic skids are holding up just fine. The Greydon is a one piece unit, made out of pretty thin aluminum, which spans the gap between the brake and sprocket. That means less ground clearance, closing off a gap that you might get lucky and pass a rock through (sounds painful).
Then there is the extreme difficulty in removing the stock skids. It looks like you have to pull or at least move both the sprocket and disc to get the bolts out, which are tapered for the stock plastics and the right bolts are not included with the Greydon skid.
So in other words, don't bother. I already have this thing, and since I bought it from Team suck-a$$ Factory Racing, returning it sounds like way more trouble than it's worth.
I am just going to wait untill I have totally destroyed these plastic jobs before I take on the bigger than it should be job of putting this thing on.
And I am still waiting for my Greydon nerf bars, also purchased from, you guessed it, Team Suck-a$$ Factory Racing.
The Raptor needs a real skid bad. That piece of plastic is milk-carton tough. A 1/4" Armadillo is on the way from Rocky Mountain ATV,
I'll bet money it will be here before the weekend.

Old 05-16-2001, 04:10 PM
Range Rover

Hay send those Graydon skids back. I put on PRM due to all the problems I have heard about Graydon. The PRM are easy to put on, real heavy AL angle iron and the instructions are great. You can also get real good help if you call them. You don't have to take off the chain ring or brake disk or take the axle out. Just stand the ATV up on its rear bumper, unbolt the origional skits, and you will have to grind off a couple of the bolts to remove them because they hit the brake disk or chain ring. No need to remove them. I used a 4" grinding wheel and it worked good. I got the idea from PRM. I also have the full skids along with front and back bumpers and they are the best. I have the Graydon nerfs and they are great but took forever to get them and they are too expensive!

Old 05-16-2001, 06:13 PM
Range Rover

I have pro-tect skids, a-arms, belly, and swing arm. The swing arm is EZ to put on and is heavy duty.
Pic's of them at www.protectfabrication.com

Old 05-16-2001, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

SCRAP ALUMINUM GOES FOR ? A POUND?SEND IT IN WITH THE NEXT BATCH OF BEER CANS,I WOULD THROW MINE AWAY BUT IT WILL TAKE TO LONG TO GET IT OFF NOW,I WILL WAIT UNTILL IT GETS TRASHED THEN GET A BETTER SKID

Old 05-16-2001, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

I have the AC racing rear skid and with the reduced ground clearance I beat it to scrap aluminum.After talking with the Bombardier factory race team they used the stock skid and it held up for the Baja 2000 with no problems.I threw away the AC racing skid and put the stocker back on and it has held up fine.
Bearman

Old 05-17-2001, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Bearman, I found my reciept for the Skid and I bought it from Graydon, not Team Factory, so sending it back was not a problem. Now If I could just get those nerfs... 6 weeks and still waiting... Does anyone else make nerfs for the DS??

Old 05-18-2001, 02:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't recall what company, but someone makes an aluminum skid that goes over the stock skids, that sounds like better idea to me. Too bad I already put on my White Bros./DG Skid plate. I however havent tossed out the factory ones, so I still have options.

Also, another company in the back of DW or 4 Wheel ATV Action, makes a steel skid plate, heavier, but it's gotta be ready to take some pounding.

Old 05-18-2001, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

Pro-tect makes one that goes over the stock one, but it's stanless steal.