CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS Days!!!! Labor Day weekend

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 06:47 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that the DS650 is more popular with West Coast riders than East Coast. However, there are many of us East Coast DS owners who would love to participate in something like this. If this turns into a yearly gathering, which I hope it will. Im sure I speak for many east coast DS riders that having it somewhere more centralized in the US might make it easier for DS owners from all over the country to attend this event. I know personaly that every 300 miles or so that could be shaved off my travel distance would greatly increase my chances of coming to something like this.

Old 03-03-2002, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

The biggest problem with moving it further east is, for every mile I move it closer to the 25% eastern riders, I move it a mile away from the 75% west coast folks. SoCal has the largest concentration, but I moved it north to accomadate more people. If I move it further east, we may end up losing a good # of the south western folks. This location isn't exactly at my front door, but it worked well last year and I would like to keep it there.

Dunejammer, have you been to Sand Mountain NV.? There is definatly more than one hill there, and the hills are long and STEEP! Longer and steeper that Dumont or Glamis. It's not a matter of "if there is enough room for all of us", it's just a matter wether they let two groups have permits.

Like has been mentioned, there is no way to please everyone, but this is the best location I can come up with. It might also help me with getting the permit, being a state resident. If it goes to another state, we may need someone else to get the permit.

We sort of need to make this an official event if we want manufacturers like Bombardier to help out. If we get booted due to no permit, the vendors that show up will not be pleased. Actually, it will end up being those that support us[the vendors] that get booted.

Old 03-03-2002, 09:38 PM
Range Rover

I understand that the concentration of the DS owners are in the southwest, but if those of us on the east coast are willing to drive 2000+ miles (40+hrs) to support this event, then I hope that the people in the southwest/west would be willing to drive a lttle further if for some reason the event can't be held at Sand Mtn.

Old 03-03-2002, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

true true

Old 03-04-2002, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

Knutz, nope never been to Sand Mtn. NV and I didn't mean to offend but from the pics I've seen it looks like one giant sand hill and is certainly tiny compared with other dune areas.
I was only attempting to be helpful by pointing out a superb alternative in my opinion given the recent development. How long does it take for you to get to Fallon? it would only be about a 6 hour drive from Vegas to LS UT. Seems to me the distance for most people,(except for the norhern CA and northern NV people) wouldnt be that much further to get to central Utah. Looks like six's for southern CA riders, it would be alot closer for anybody in the east or south like AZ, NM etc.
This seems to be your deal and not mine so I'll keep quiet and out of it.

Old 03-04-2002, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

More East sounds good to me.

Old 03-04-2002, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

There are several pictures of Sand Mountain on the Friends of Sand Mountain web site - here

Jon

Old 03-04-2002, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

No offence taken, I was just trying to explain my reasoning for this site. Both sites sound like they are the same distance from me, but I know that the closer I keep it to the west, the better the showing will be[sad but true]. It also increases my chances of magazine exposure.

Old 03-04-2002, 02:55 AM
Range Rover

Who would be interested in a East Coast version of this? Better yet, What are the closest dunes (worth a damn) to the East Coast. Or where would be a good place to have an East Coast version of this. Im still tinking about making the trip to sand mountain. But I know there are alot of East Coast riders who would love to participate in something like this, but cant. I know for me its not driving 2000+ miles one way. Its finding the time and taking time of work to take a trip like that.....

Old 03-04-2002, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

I pretty well made up my mind on what I'm doing. I plan on going! I was never out west and I'm still young (Not many bills) so this will be a experince for me. If any one on the east coast wants to get a convoy going I'm all for it.

Quick Reply: DS Days!!!! Labor Day weekend