CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

new ds owner stupid question??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys

I know this is a stupid question but When you shift do you have to use the clutch on every gear or just the when you leave from a stand still. I haven't driven the ds alot and I just bought it from my friend out west and he has only 10hours on it ie I got it for $4500. Im going to pick it up memorial week.

2001 ds-650
2002 honda rancher 4x4

Old 04-17-2002, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

You got a good deal on the quad.

The smart a$$ answer to your question is no, you don't need to clutch but, you will get to replace your gears much sooner than if you had used your clutch.

The quad has a very smooth transmission and sometimes you may end up letting off the throttle and shifting without the clutch but, that will eventually catch up with you.

Old 04-17-2002, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

so in effect it would wear out the syncrows right. then the gears thats what i thought thanks and yea I got a great deal. have you seen any info on how well a panOram works. Do they do a good job of judgeing speed and time???

Old 04-18-2002, 12:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

The ds shifts so smooth with out the clutch there is no need to use the clutch except take off's

ps:the only stuipid question is the unasked question!!

Old 04-18-2002, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

If you can unload the transmision by letting off the throttle for just a moment, when the next gear engages, it is actually easier on the tranny than quickly using the clutch. A quick reliese of the clutch will actually shock the gears harder.

Down shifting can be done just as safely by "burping" the throttle.

I road raced motorcycles[AMA,CCS,WERA,and WSMC]for years, and used the clutch the exact same way, without ever having a tranny problem. It was not only faster, but smoother as well, and in road racing, smooth is critical to keep off of your head.

Old 04-18-2002, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider

I think your right. that you don't need to clutch all the time as long as you are good at the use of the thottle. thanks oo and I was wondering how you guys always have your info at the bottom of your replys??

Old 04-18-2002, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Go into your profile, the signature, at the bottom, is where all the info is put. Just play around with it and you'll get the idea. Oh and by the way I've worn out my share of bikes and never had tranny problem relating to clutchless shifts. They are basically made to shift without the clutch. just ride hard and shift fast, the DS likes it rough.

Old 04-18-2002, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

I used to shift my old Maico 250, notoriously weak transmissions, without the clutch, it shifted very smoothly, with just a click into the next gear. Then it stopped staying in gear. Upon dissassembly, I dicovered the engagement dogs to be quite rounded off. I rebuilt a lot of Maico transmissions, they were pretty crappy, way too light and small for as much power as they produced.
SO to this day I shift with the clutch. I think a smooth clutch/gas/shift has got to be better than just gas/shift.
However, if you want to blow your tranny even faster might I suggest WOT/shift.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Plenty of factory riders do just that. The tranny will get rebuilt by the next race.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]