CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

NEVER shim your clutch springs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 03:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEVER shim your clutch springs!!!

Just thought I would past it along, to anyone thinking of going the cheap route(Like I did). When my clutches were slipping awhile back, I decided to save the 50 bucks and shim mine with some washers. I got this "tip" of of a BMW f650 website, and though what the heck. well to make along story short, My tranny is on its way back from MRE racing in FL. After bending my shifting forks(caused by the shimming) my tranny started popping out of gear and after FSW's when I had time to change them out, I noticed that my DOGS were in BAD shape, so with some info I got from Jeffinrivercity, I sent them off to be back-cut. it was cheaper todo this then it was to buy new gears from Bombardier.(thanks Jeff)

They took their sweet time (1 month), but I should get them back sometime early next week [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

SO the lesson:...... DONT cheap out!!! take some good advice and spend the extra time and money and do it right[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

This is going to end up costing me about 300+ dollars because I wanted to save 50[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Not to mention my quad has been down for ALONG time.

Bigger.

Old 04-10-2003, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

YOUR quad has been down for a long time?! Man..Im killing myself over here! Going on 5+ months now...

Old 04-10-2003, 03:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I know, I don't mean to preach to the chior but, I guess I can say, I have a little better understanding what frustrations you guys are feeling. My quad has been in a million peices for almost three months (chassy too) and I have NO Idea how to put it back together.LOL![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Sorry for wineing.

Bigger.

Old 04-10-2003, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

Oh man, that don't sound good. I'm sure you have some idea how to put it back together. While you got the chasis apart. DRILL SOME HOLES IN IT, LIGHTEN THAT BITCH UP!

Old 04-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You know I almost started drilling lots of small holes, but I am 270 and need all the strenght in the chassy i can get, I still like to jump, and bang through the whoops!

BIggerisbetter.

Old 04-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

I was just kidding, but it is tempting isn't it

Old 04-11-2003, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

You could always just cut some sections out of the tubing and replace the removed section with a wood dow rod and duct tape.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] But for the love of God, DON'T JUMP!!