Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Kids, quads and the new CPSC age rules.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids, quads and the new CPSC age rules.

I know we all agree that the current CPSC age guidelines are a bunch of crap. Did you know they are about to be drastically revised? And they will no longer be voluntary guidelines but rule of law? Now before you go into a panic, the rule applies to the manufacturers and importers, not the consumer. Right now the big 4 and several more not so big companies comply, or try to comply with these age guidelines, stupid as they may be. And then there are the companies, many represented here, that don't. Thank goodness.

The new regulations will not be optional for the manufacturers. If a quad is sold here in the U.S. and is intended for riders under 16 years of age it will fall into one of three categories, instead of the current two. The good news is that the consumer can sign a paper saying that they understand the dangers of a child riding an ATV that is not "speed limited" and doesn't have to lie to the dealer to get the quad they want for their kid, and the dealer is not in danger of losing their franchise by selling it. Speed limiting bigger quads for younger kids is a good idea. But what they haven't accounted for is weight, though they did discuss it. I testified at the CPSC hearing in Albuquerque in 2003 and specifically discussed weight of ATVs as it relates to kids. They were listening but they did not figure it into their final rule.

So we are going to see all automatics for kids. Period. No weight guidelines, and the three categories, youth, pre-teen, and teen, all speed limited. We wanted more options, but these are still guidelines as far as the consumer is concerned. State laws may enforce these guidelines. Here in New Mexico we now have a "under 10 years of age is under 100cc law" that's okay. Then we have an under 16 is under 250cc untill they get some kind of MVD license or permit. A motorcycle license is available at age 13. Any MVD license, even a learner's permit ups the cc to 450cc. And that's okay too. These rules will be revised or amended when the new CPSC rules become final.

SO while these minis get better, they are about to change. Some will be pretty cool, some won't. Most of these Chinese quads are way out of control in weight. The Jetmotos are particularly lightweight compared to every thing else out there, proving light weight doesn't have to be high priced or out of reach for a kid's quad. The automatics will make an easy transition with the addition of a limiter. And alternate, maybe aftermarket ignitions should be available when a kid is ready to go a little faster.

The big four have little to nothing which will make the crossover. Yamaha's Blaster replacement will take this into account and have an auto tranny, I bet you money. Suzuki, Honda, semi-auto trannies. Polaris and Can-Am have autos in their lead weight Phoenix, Rally and DS. SO they will be shoving these overweight pigs onto the public.

I picked up a couple of JetMoto 150s for my store, and so far am very impressed. Weight matters, and these 2007 models are 42.5" wide and only weigh 314 lbs. My measurements. This is what kids should be riding in the 10-13 age group, weighing 75-125 lbs. My kid will turn 10 in April, he weighs 75 lbs.

Our weight guidelines that we have been working with for the last 5 years are very simple. A quad should not weigh more than 5 times the weight of the rider, 4 times is a good target.

Raceway quads are the ones that are not in the group that has voluntarily subscribed to the existing CPSC age guidelines. But they will come under the thumb of the CPSC in the next round. Semi-autos without speed limiters can still be sold, but only as adult quads. And families can buy these for their kids just by signing a waiver.

I would be curious to see how the Raceway organization feels about all this, and Eugene at Jetmoto as well. I think the new CPSC rules are a huge improvement over the old system, which won't allow kids on quads that don't fit the rule to get any kind of safety training. It has excluded kids from this valuable learning tool, and has in fact been a detriment to child safety. This point of view is realized and expressed in the new CPSC ruling. They screwed up and they finally realize it.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, sounds like they are taking a step in the right direction finally. Any idea when the final ruling will be publicized?

Old 02-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

this is unpopular but we'd see less atv related injuries and deaths IF the rules were enforced more. they should tighten down on them AND hold the irresponsible dealers for it. Sorry, but if a dealer knowingly sells a YFZ450 or something like that to a kid (oh sorry the parents said it was for them, i forgot) that cant ride it and because he thinks its cool, goes out and gets hurt or killed> #1 the parents are at fault, #2 then the dealer. id shut them both down. no excuses... they are also about to make a youth transiton model codenamed Y12/13 on the CPSC website.

And 314lb machine for a kid weighing 75? thats an acceptable, good ratio to you? most kids that size cant lift 100lbs much less get out from under a 300+ pound machine if it rolls on top of them...

Old 02-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Can you bench press your quad? Of course not. What we are trying to prevent is 60 lb kids riding 700 lb sportsmans. Speed and displacement are relevant, but a proper fit is even more relevant. To be in control, the quad must fit the rider. A 90cc mini weighs 250 to 280 lbs. A 150cc weighing 314lbs is an appropriate step up for a young rider. A 416 lb 250 is not appropriate. The New Mexico Dept of Health agrees with our weight guidelines, but administering through cc is easier. New Mexico's new rule is "under age 10 = under 100cc". It was my idea and my proposal that was adopted by New Mexico's OHV advisory board. I ride with a lot of kids in our club "the Gila Rough Riders". There isn't a kid in the group that adhere's to the CPSC age guidelines, and there isn't a kid in the group on an inapprpriate sized quad. No, I take that back, we have one 12 year old girl on a predator 90, and that's okay, but she'll probably out grow it in a year or two. Our weight guidelines apply to all riders. At 2 to 1, an ATV racer on a competition machine has the most control. A slight woman on a big utility quad is as "at risk" as a kid.

Parents don't buy the wrong quad for their kids, but they do let their kids ride the wrong quad. After a few beers, out at the dunes, they will let their 9 year old ride their YFZ-450 even though they would never buy it for them. They let junior ride dad's 700 Sportsman, even though they would never buy one for them. Parents make the right choice in the showroom. They've had lots of practice from buying shoes to bicycles. But once it's home, it is a different story. This is where state regulations come in.

The CPSC are consumer guidelines and apply to purchase, importation and distribution of a product. Unfortunately these age guidelines are so screwed up they have caused more problems, like preventing kids from getting safety trained on their own quads. And some short sighted legislators have carbon copied these age guidelines.

here's a link to the new CPSC rule CPSC ATV RULE I found it to be quite enlightened, though I think they fell short on stability, suspension travel, not incorporating weight in their new rule, and not allowing semi-auto transmissions in the teen class.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:42 AM
Trailblazer

Well,I do agree with a kid that weighs 60 pounds should'nt ride a Sportsman.
But why under 10 under 100cc,the 90cc's I looked at were too small for him.

Lets look at it this way,a 9 year old weighs 65 pounds,the 90cc and 110cc weigh very close together,if not the same.What makes some one think that he can controll the 90,but not the 110.They both have limiters,I've rode both and the both seem to have about the same power to me.

My son always wanted to ride my 300 Arctic Cat,a freind told me "let him ride it,you know if my kid can ride my Magnum 500 yours can ride a 300."Yes I know he could,But I aint STUPID.At the time mine was 6,no way I'ld let him on that thing and ride it alone.

I rode a Dinli(?) 90 with full auto and it seemed that it would take off and leave the 110 simi auto's.

I know this kid that has one,this was maybe 5 years ago.I think its a Dinli,but its either an 80 or 90.He wanted to race,he kept up with my 300,he was right beside me at the finish line.
Now mine will go faster,but the 150' sprint he kept up.

Weight guide lines are a good rule,and to a sertin degree,cc's.I think it all depends on the childs ability to handle a situation,quick thinking,and they should alway be in sight and voice of an expirienced (and sober)adult.

If this aplies to some of you,I'm sorry,but if the person is responsible for the child and they are drunk while watchin them ride an ATV,there should be some type of criminal charges for that.In your home is one thing,but your childs life is at stake,anything could happen and the adult needs to be alert.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:06 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Lets not forget that the manufacturers got the CPSC involved to protect them from their customers. Not the other way around.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

The CPSC would have 6-11 year olds on a 50cc P.O.S.
Some 90's at least have decent suspension, and some have reverse. The Predator 90, discontinued this year, was the best under 100cc mini I have ever. The 50's are suited for circling the campfire, not going out on the trail.
The under 10 = under 100cc rule isn't perfect, but most under 10 year olds, having not reached puberty are pretty consistent in size and weight. New Mexico's new OHV laws differentiate between riders under 10, and 10 and over, delibrately avoiding the 12 year old benchmark that the CPSC uses. There are only a few 110cc quads out there, and none are from the major manufacturers. At age 10, they are free to ride up to 250cc, until they obtain any sort of MVD license, at which point they can ride up to 450cc. A motorcycle license, for an UNDER 100cc motorcycle is available at age 13 here in New Mexico, and can get them a legal ride on a 450cc quad. SO we are using the combination of precedents for under 10 and under 100cc, which are already state law.

The ATVA has the "Blaster Class" for age 13 to 15 racers. This is under 200cc two stroke or under 300cc four stroke. This is a much more enlightened rule. This would prevent a 10 year old from riding a 250r, but allow them to ride a 300 Hawkeye 4x4 or a 300EX. This just makes a lot more sense. I know lots of parents who have bought Hawkeye 4x4s for their kids, a responsible decision, and now they are outlaws. Where they ride, with their parents, a 4x4 is necessary, and 300cc is as small as 4x4s get.

To me this is much more of an issue than going back into the heat of battle for 10cc to make the 110s legit for under 10 year olds. So change the sticker on the side of the quad and ride it. It does make the 110s and the 125 quads kinda pointless here in New Mexico. I am not going to put my 10 year old on a 250, though he has ridden them all. The JetMoto 150 is light and it is right. I will have pix up soon on my profile. I would rather see an experienced 10 year old on a JetMoto 150, than making him wait till he was 12, and then letting him ride a 250. Under 10 = under 100cc is a very good transition point.

Remember that we were fighting proposals at the CPSC, the state legislature, and the OHV advisory board to ban riders under the age of 16 from riding ATVs. We have prevailed in each venue.

It is so very difficult when dealing with legislators, beaurocrats and board members who really don't understand the problems or issues. Under 10= under 100cc was something they could understand, and it is a vast improvement over the CPSC guidelines. My almost 10 year old is now riding his new JetMoto 150, with automatic and reverse, holeshot tires, ITP spun aluminum wheels. AND LOVING IT. With wheel spacers and the ITP wheels it is widened out to 46" in the rear, and 43" in front. It slides easily and controllably, and weighs only 314 lbs. He weighs 80 lbs. 4 x 80 = 320 So he is under a 4 to 1 weight ratio, on a quad with low center of gravity, super wide with real stability and pretty darn good suspension. I practice what I preach. I could have put him on a Rally, Phoenix, or DS-250. But those 250s weigh 395 to 426 lbs, with a higher center of gravity than the JetMoto.

He's 10. That doesn't mean I am going to put him on a 250R. There are other factors to consider besides engine displacement, and that is what the CPSC still doesn't understand. Sorry about the 110s, have to chalk it up to being a casualty of war.

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

It is all about fit, stability, suspension and weight.
Engine displacement is only sort of relative to the size of the machine.
Here's what works.
There are a couple of new pix of our new JetMoto 150, dusty and wide, on my pix page. You'll see my son Ian, when he was six on his very custom Raptor 80, and this afternoon on his new JetMoto 150. Remarkable resemblance between quads. The Raptorette was widened to 41" from a skinny 33". The Jetmoto only needed minimal mods to meet our standards, just tires, wheels and wheel spacers. The Raptorette had $2,000 in modifications, works shocks, Blaster A-arms, rebuilt frame etc. to increase width and increase wheel travel from 2" to 7". The JetMoto has 8" in front and 9" in the rear. Shocks and springs on the JetMoto are just fine for a light rider.
Ian is now 10, and loves his new quad.