Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

New ignition key on Sunl - seems to be opposite logic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ignition key on Sunl - seems to be opposite logic?

So I have an odd issue and I have tried to search but come up with nothing. I got a new key ignition for my kids Sunl ATV. It has the standard red, green, black, and black/white wires - so it seems to be pretty standard. When the key is in the OFF position, the key can be removed and when the key is in the ON position, it cannot be removed (again, pretty standard).
However when I hook it up to the quad, it work in OPPOSITE logic... When the key is in the OFF position, the headlights work, it will crank and run, ... And when the key is in the ON position nothing works. So it seems like the internals of the ignition I got is doing the opposite - which is really messed up because now I can't remove the key when I dont want my kids to ride it (the key only comes out in the OFF position but that is when everything works)
I contacted the place I got the key from and they sent me another one... same problem. Then they gave me a refund.

So my question is this... is there any way to swap the wires in the harness to get it to work correctly? I am guessing not since that would mean wiring the red to the ground and the green to the positive which would just instantly blow the fuse.

Anything I can do? Try ordering one from someone else? My fear is these are all made by the same company in China and I will just get the same one, just from a different vendor.

Has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts?

Old 07-29-2018, 12:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Are you sure green is ground? All the imports i have worked on black is ground in the harness.. But you should be able to swap the wires around without issue it may have been wired wrong from factory, or your machine is backwards. Just test probe the wires and make your decision from their as to what wires you are going to move

Old 07-29-2018, 12:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are two types of ignition systems used on Chinese quads, AC and DC. Yours is DC but the switch you installed is AC. Get one for a DC system and it'll work.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
Are you sure green is ground? All the imports i have worked on black is ground in the harness.. But you should be able to swap the wires around without issue it may have been wired wrong from factory, or your machine is backwards. Just test probe the wires and make your decision from their as to what wires you are going to move
According to this post, green is ground: https://atvconnection.com/forums/chi...ether-but.html

And here is another link I found which seems to resemble my quad as well: Wiring Diagram Chinese Atv Diagrams Loncin 50cc Quad Picturesque Sunl | mediapickle.me

Old 07-29-2018, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by hugemoth
There are two types of ignition systems used on Chinese quads, AC and DC. Yours is DC but the switch you installed is AC. Get one for a DC system and it'll work.
Can you send me a link for a DC system? Or what would I search on to find one? I dont know what I am looking for

Thanks

Old 07-30-2018, 02:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Be careful, sounds more like a dud switch than a wrong one. DC switches only need two wires, as they just need to connect battery positive to ignition/lighting system, though the key switches often have more, partly to confuse thieves. Green for earth is Honda standard, at least 50% of Chinese/Taiwanese bikes have copied the Honda wiring colours. Some switches are for earth to kill CDIs and some for earth to run CDIs, but yours is connecting the battery in the on position (correctly) but you can then get the key out, which isn't right for either earth to kill or earth to run. Re-reading your post you seem a bit confused, as you write the key comes out in the off position until you put the switch on the bike, then comes out only in the on position, not possible.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
Be careful, sounds more like a dud switch than a wrong one. DC switches only need two wires, as they just need to connect battery positive to ignition/lighting system, though the key switches often have more, partly to confuse thieves. Green for earth is Honda standard, at least 50% of Chinese/Taiwanese bikes have copied the Honda wiring colours. Some switches are for earth to kill CDIs and some for earth to run CDIs, but yours is connecting the battery in the on position (correctly) but you can then get the key out, which isn't right for either earth to kill or earth to run. Re-reading your post you seem a bit confused, as you write the key comes out in the off position until you put the switch on the bike, then comes out only in the on position, not possible.
I was thinking it was a bad switch as well but they sent me a replacement and the same issue is with the second one... so what are the odds I would get TWO bad ones?

Let me try to explain it better... the key can be removed when it is in the OFF position *ACCORDING TO WHAT IS PRINTED ON IGNITION*. And the key will stay in the ignition *AGAIN, ACCORDING TO WHAT IS MOLDING INTO THE IGNITION*

But it is plugged into my harness, when the key is removed, the quad has power and will run. And when the key is in the ignition and cannot be removed, it does not work. So it is like the internals of the key were manufactured wrong. I was thinking I could just swap the wires in the harness but I dont think that will work because then the ground connection will be going to the + in the harness and vice versa... which will just blow the fuse.

Does that make sense?

Old 07-30-2018, 04:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrhoads23
Can you send me a link for a DC system? Or what would I search on to find one? I dont know what I am looking for

Thanks
You'll need to do some research. Get a 4 wire switch for a DC system and it'll work.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

After some of the great info on this site I was able to swap some of the wires on my ignition I got and it works as it should now