Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Automatic atv jumping gears and stucking( more then 1 problem)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic atv jumping gears and stucking( more then 1 problem)

Hi.
You might have some trouble reading this, English is not my first language, so be warned.

I'm new atv driver, Never had any experience with anything car, bike, atv. etc.

I recently bought a chinese atv, 125 cc mid size, i'm not used to driving, but for some reason it actually fast (maybe because i never drove anything).

i bought atv 2 days ago, Clean and new. The problem started today. (not 1 problem tho)

First problem (Most annoying)

When drive, Stop and try to shift from drive to nutral, the atv jumped at reverse and stuck in there, I barely brought it back to Nutral, But the problem is stuck, and seem to get better when engine is (shutdown? Stopped? Not moving? don't have the right term for it.
I tried searching online, but none has the same problem as me, mostly only getting stuck in reverse, But mine it is stuck in reverse AND jumps from D to R skipping N.

I did 2 mistakes when driving atv, but i don't think thats the problem, i didn't know shifting gears when driving is very bad thing (Did it only once tho)
Not charging the battery and driving atv right after it arrived.
Also when i bought it, i didn't notice it till now, The shifting stick is quite wopply? not steady?

Second problem.
Atv battery seems to losing charge at fast speed, since i got it, i forgot to charge it first, after that i charged for 1 hour or so, it went on okay without problems, Second day same thing happens i need to charge it again to run the engine, as battery was so weak even lights didn't work.
So i charged and it worked fine, Third day same thing happened.
The battery is brand new and such thing shouldn't happen.

Third problem.
Atv suddenly stops? when i don't use throttle for some time or when climbing something that is slightly high, The atv gives up and shuts down. i can start it again but it is quite annoying, as it is new atv, it should've been good at least. not 2-3 days and problems start raining on me.

Most scary thing.
The first problem is freaking me out! The reason for it i'm afraid the transmission's gears have some of their teeth stripped or something like that.
I can't send it back to the store, because i'll need to spend over 50 dollars to send it there, Plus around 15 dollars to get new gears. Which will rip me apart.

The thing is, i just finished high school, i got 82 overall, which is enough to go medical school in most countries.
I have no experince in driving at all.

In iraq, Quads count as toys Which means there is no license or anything, you buy it, You drive it.
There is no brand name atv, at least as far as i've seen and searched, There is barely any atv at all ! Therefore fixing atv is expensive and costly specially to ex-high school student.

I don't like twin wheeled motorcycles. only quads that why i went for em.

I know a thing or two in engines and transmissions, so i can fix small problems.

Looking for help

Also if needed.
ATV is exactly like this one as i didn't find model in internet, but this one looks 100% like it, I will take pictures of my atv tommorw, but this maybe useful for you.
https://coolster.com/vehicles/coolster-atv-3125b/

Engine: 125 cc (duh)
Oil: Shipment oil (The dealer told me not to change it until 10 days for some reason)
Weather: Cold, little moist (5 celsius-15 celsius)
Atv: Brand new model 2018-5 (it is written in metal sheet near the engine of the atv)
Driver: As new as the atv.
Curent status: Scared? anixious? can't sleep.

I will try to help you in anything, I will get the pictures tomorrow.

The Atv has Speed-o-meter Side lights front lights and rear lights. Looks quite modern and quite fast (id say around 90-130 km/h never looked at speed o meter because i panic when i drive)

Old 01-23-2019, 03:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

First problem, check the lever isn't loose on the shaft that goes into the gearbox. If it is, this could be your problem. Someone posted on here yesterday about breaking the shaft inside the gearbox, so that is also possible https://atvconnection.com/forums/chi...ft-broken.html

Second problem, not charging the battery first will not have made any difference to your battery, I suspect your charging circuit isn't working. Once the engine is running, put a DC voltmeter across the battery, the reading should be over 12.7v and rising. It will alter with RPM possibly rising to 14.5v then dropping back. If the voltage just falls slowly, either the wiring, the voltage regulator, or the stator, is faulty. Check if the regulator is getting warm, this indicates power is getting to it from the stator, which would indicate the stator is OK.

Third problem, if the carburettor is slightly out of tune, the engine may stop after idling for a while, this is fairly normal and I would just get used to not leaving it idling. When going up slopes, you have to get the speed up first, as engines loose power when going up too steep a slope. Again, if it lacks power, the carburettor could be out of tune, but bikes need to settle in when they are new, so use it a while before altering anything.

Although ATV mechanics may be difficult to find. The engine will almost certainly be a copy of a Honda motorcycle engine, so local motorcycle mechanics may be able to help a bit.

You will not get 90kph out of a 125cc machine, 45kph is probably absolute maximum. Do not try for this sort of speed until it has done 20 hours at least, keep the maximum speed down to 30kph for a while.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for your response! really appreaciate it.

I'll try my best to fix them! Thank you.

If you have time i got 1 thing to ask.
I changed the oil today, and soon going to tight all bolts and stuff, Fix the skipping gears problem.
However, The oil, i've used 10w-40 branded oil which i forgot the name, full synthetic motorcycle oil.
In iraq summer is hot, it normally settles at 50 celsius to 60 celsius. Should i used 20w-50? or 10w-50? or perhaps if it exists 10w-60.
Also should i drive directly after oil change or wait a little pit?

Anyway, Thanks for your time! you gave me big relief.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The 10w-40 should be OK, but for those sorts of temperatures I would go up to a 20w-50 at the next oil change. No need to wait for more than 30 seconds after an oil change.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
The 10w-40 should be OK, but for those sorts of temperatures I would go up to a 20w-50 at the next oil change. No need to wait for more than 30 seconds after an oil change.
Thank you!

Old 01-28-2019, 05:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have fixed about 5 Chinese quads with the battery problem and the fix is to follow the battery red cable to the solenoid now make sure that there's 2 red wires on that nut that has the wire from the positive side of battery if its on the other side that goes to the starter that's the problem they always put that wire on the wrong side...the starter wire should be by itself on the solenoid nut and that should solve your battery issue