Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

TaoTao Brute Force 110cc - Weird No-Start Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 09:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TaoTao Brute Force 110cc - Weird No-Start Issues

Hey guys,

Longtime reader, 1st time poster. I'd appreciate any advise you could offer. Here goes:

2017 TaoTao Brute Force 110cc. My son was riding the other day, no issues whatsoever. A few hours later he went to go ride again and it wouldn't start. We thought it may be low on gas so I filled her up. It still would not start, but was cranking cleanly. I checked for spark and since it was extremely sunny out I couldn't really tell. I tinkered with it for a few more minutes trying to start and eventually rocked it back and forth (partly frustration, partly to knock anything loose back in...you know, did you try and hit it?) After the rocking, all I got was a clicking solenoid, no more cranking. This on it's own was quite odd. I check the battery and the voltage was fine. I then tried to jump the solenoid and got a few sparks, but no cranking.

I've since replaced (just bought a whole kit) the solenoid, CDI and Voltage Regulator. I have a new Ignition Coil as well, but didn't install that yet. Battery is fine. I still only get a solenoid click and nothing else. I've checked all fuses.

I'm stumped. Any help would be awesome. Thank you guys!

Old 08-31-2019, 04:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 305 Likes on 299 Posts

Right, first check the engine isn't seized by turning the crank by hand with the plug out. If it can be spun OK, and you have a new solenoid on, looks like starter is faulty, if you did hit the starter, you may have shaken a magnet off and seized it. Worth striping it to see if something is obviously wrong. Once you get the engine spinning over again, check for a spark, if you are getting a good spark, it won't be CDI or coil that is faulty, dirt in carb is the most likely culprit.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:37 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

i would bet that the battery does not have enough reserve let in it to start... The small battery's in these are only good for 10-20 starting attempts before their is not enough left to start i went through this this weekend..LOL.. Did anyone play with the remote shut off? Have you checked the tether cord to make sure its seated? Is the brake light coming on when you press the brake to start? If the light does not come on then the brake switch is not working its quite common for the foot activated switch to fail but usually the hand brake will still work... When im trouble shooting i zip tie the hand brake to make things a little easier to work on

Old 09-05-2019, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This issue for me has been solved. It was a crappy ground at the stator cover. I however still have no spark, which I have posted in the engine section.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:59 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

you said after all the cranking above that you checked the battery and it was fine... Can pretty much grantee after all that cranking the battery voltage was not good and unless you have charged the battery since then its still not good.. That would be where i would start