Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

How to get rid of twitchyness? I put wide offset wheels on.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2001, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a set of wider offset wheels on the front of my Raptor. Now its very twitchy. Expecially at high speeds. How can I get rid of it besides putting the stock wheels back on? Would adjusting the toe-out work or toe-in? Please help. Thanks

Old 03-19-2001, 03:01 AM
Range Rover

Howdy Jason....there are two ways to go...you could put on a steering stabilizer or toe-in a half inch and try it...hope that helps..
BB

Old 03-19-2001, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider

Shouldn't it be toe out?

(Frame of reference Polaris/Honda)

Old 03-19-2001, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah I dident think of a steering stabilizer. I dont want to buy +2" arms and new shocks. I will try the stabilizer. Another weird thing is, it started the pull to the left after I put the offset wheels on. I havent bent anything its not even broke in yet? I did adjust the toe-out last night on the right only(trying to get rid of the pull and the twitch). It seems less twithy, but still pulls to the left? I even switch tires from side to side. I also made sure all the tire pressures are equal? I dont get it?

Old 03-19-2001, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

Seeing as you already stated you do not have/want aftermarket a-arms, this is kind of useless... I think castor affects the "twitchyness" of the machine, castor being the angle of your spindle compared to the center of your a-arms (best I can describe it) Toe IN will give you better high speed straight line characteristics, so it should also help you out some. Toe OUTwill give you better low speed handling ability. I am not sure what the other (low speed toe in, high toe out) characteristics are right now.. Its late and I need sleep

Old 03-22-2001, 10:01 AM
Range Rover

Toe in is the right way to go to solve the twitchy problem. If you add spacers you change the lenght of the spindle and increase the leverage that the tires have on the steering system. If you toe out you make it easier for bump steer to impact against you holding the handle bars because you are leading the tire in the direction that it will go when you run over bumps. if you toe it in you will be leading the tire in the other direction and make it less sensitive to bump steer problems and make it more stable.

Old 03-23-2001, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with the toe-in thoery. I remember reading when the DS's first came out and they had to run like 1/2 inch of toe in to get rid of bump steer. With running the offset wheels instead of aftermarket a-arms you will need to try different adjustments. I'd start with 1/8-1/4 inch toe in and try that. 1/4 - 1/2 inch toe in sounds drastic but it's possible that you might have to go that route. Also one more tip. Take a straight board and measure the front of each wheel from the rear wheel. This will help you keep the wheels even upon adjustment of the tie rod ends and help it steer straight with the bars. I also think you should get a steering stabilizer because the wheels now have more leverage due to the width increase and can jerk suddenly on the bars if you hit an object. Good Luck.

Old 03-23-2001, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks everyone. I`m going to do some experimenting when I get the stabilizer.

Old 03-24-2001, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

MudRush are you sure it is toe that affects bump steer and stability? I would think that camber would affect those more than toe would.

Old 03-24-2001, 11:07 AM
Range Rover

The problem is that when you increase the wheel offset you increase the lenght of the lever(center line of tire to centerline of ball joint/s)This magnifies the effect that hitting a bump has on your steering linkage and the force that you feel at the handlebars. The easiest way to dampen this is to toe the tires in so that they are plowing a little then when you hit a bump the force has to overcome the plowing to make it pull the tires to one side. Adding a little caster may help(have the top ball joint ahead of the lower one)this tends to keep the tires pointing straight ahead. Camber may help cornering, but you will still need some toe in.