General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Repo'd ATV's - would you buy one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, with the state of the economy, do you honestly think there is not a lot of repo'd stuff being resold...? Guy gets laid off, first thing to go is the toy. I would have no problem buying a reposessed atv.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i agree, have a 3rd party mech look at it, it's not like you can get a carfax for it, eh? either that, or take it "as is" so cheap, the dealer cringes to let it go.... then fix it up the way you want it.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Range Rover

OK, let's say the dealer wants a fair price of $3k. You say you'll take it but you want to take it to your own mechanic. What would be they best way to complete the deal? Give him the $$ and he keeps the title until you mechanic signs off? Put it on a credit card and dispute the charge if the machine needs repairs? My mechanic is almost 3 hours away from this dealer so running it across town to drop it off wasn't an option.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

personally, i'd take it out and run it and put it through the paces. yamaha, suzuki, polaris, kawasaki, don't know what brand you're looking at, not knowing the history of said atv, if you have 3000 to spend, offer 2000-2500 after test driving it, if something goes wrong, then spend some more to fix it and end up at 3000. not sure of your financing. if you want to have a mech look at it, i'd work something out with the dealer so he could have a sale, (but this could hinder negotiations for a cheaper price). if it looks good, drives good, and you think you're getting a good deal, go for it. it's your money, not the govt's money. enjoy!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

I have purchased a repo before and as it turned out it was repossesed from a dealer. It was brand new still in the crate but I didn't know that until I went to pick it up. Like others have said in this thread it really is no different than a car or truck, it is still buyer beware. I can tell you that few people will abuse their ATV more than I do and to look at it you would never know it.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by BEAVER.989
Bad times fall upon good people sometimes. Just because it's a repo doesn't mean there is something wrong with it or the owner didn't care for it. Just inspect carefully, as I hope you would before making any large purchase.
Agree. Repo means little, other than the person didn't have the sense to sell it first and try to avoid this serious credit stain. Maybe they tried and couldn't....who knows. Bummer for the prior owner though.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

a repoed atv sometimes isent much differnt than buying it from a guy who selling it. he may say that hes never rode it hard. but how do you really know. ya there are alota people who take care of there stuff like me. but then there are people who could careless. id drive it, give it a good looking over. then wheel and deal. id buy one if it was the right price.

but my whole life iv been like "if i dont have the money to pay cash for it. i wont get it no matter how bad i want it". so if i dont have the money. i dont have to worry about that payment. i was so close last yr to get a differnt truck. if ida had a job for another month. id started to make payments. but boy am i glad i didnt. other wise id have problems.

good luck

Old 06-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by chuck_raduenz
.......but my whole life iv been like "if i dont have the money to pay cash for it. i wont get it no matter how bad i want it".
Chuck, Too bad more people don't operate in a similar manner financially.....However, our US economy would likely be a 1/3 smaller if that was the case

Old 06-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

that is true. but im not gona have my life run by a bank or what have you. all it takes is a few missed payments. and the payments you made are gone. along with the item you got. i also dont like payng any more that i have to "exsample" intrest....... if only people knew how poor my life was. but everything i have is payed off the day i got it.