General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Rhino Rollover

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino Rollover

I have heard that Rhino's can be tippy and I have read about the rollovers. But I recently watched a guy with his daughter doing donuts with his. He went around about 10 times and he had his foot in the gas. If it won't tip over from that, then someone did something to cause it to flip over.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer
Default Rhino Rollover

Originally posted by: hard2find
There were 2 adults less that 100 yard away that witnessed the accident. It took both of them to lift the Rhino and get it off his leg.

Why did Honda discontinue production of there 3-wheel ATV cycle?( My nephew was killed on one of these 10 years ago) Why did Jeep redesign their CJ / Wrangler to have a wider wheel base? Why did Firestone recall their tires? Owner/operator errors? I'm sure in some peoples opinion.

In the 28 days we were in the hospital there were three other serious ATV accidents that were brought to the same hospital. One 17 year old girl shatterer her jaw. A 14 year old boy with a compound fracture of his leg and, an 8 year old who was crushed and killed when his dad lost control and hit a tree. If people don't like my opinion they should hear what doctors and nurses who work in the emergency and trama wards have to says.

Based on some of the other comments received after posting this (Story) you seem to be one of the few mature adults. I need not justify to anyone my feelings, thoughts, opinion, emotions or actions. My one and only intent when I created this posting was to share my experience so others could make good informed decisions. I'm not trying to control what others do because as always it's their choice. Just as it is to make their own conclusions as to what possibly may have caused the accident I described. But it is suprising to hear how many people defend the manufacturer and blame the operator for any reason they can think of. Denial solves nothing and as they say, actions speak louder than words!!!!

The reason that Honda and all of the other manufacturers stopped producing three-wheeled ATV's is because the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) forced them to after a ton of negative publicity linked to testing and reporting that was skewed by a overtly liberal media. Honda's pockets were hit so badly by money-hungry people like yourself that the sport of ATVing was nearly destroyed until the late 90's.

I work for an automobile insurance company, and through that job I now realize that I am taking my life into my own hands every time I sit in a vehicle and drive somewhere. Is that Dodge's fault that I can get killed in my truck? If I roll my vehicle should I sue Dodge because they made their trucks so that their ride height is too high? People in this country need to learn to take responsibility for their actions. There are dangers surrounding us as we take each every step through our lives.

When you engage in any activity related to motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, or even jeeping, you are assuming a risk. Injuries are commonly associated with all different kinds of activities ranging from football to our topic at hand here--offroading. If you aren't prepared to accept the consequences from the risk associated with certain activities, then do us all a favor and leave your @ss at home on the couch.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino Rollover

I am appalled at some of your ignorance in this matter.
Of course suing over some of the things you guys are trying to use as cheap examples are ridiculous.
Things such as "shooting myself while cleaning my gun, cutting myself from sticking my hand in a lawn mower"
The rhino rolling and severely injuring people is far from your lame examples.
There is a serious design flaw with the rhino, the statistics prove this.
Everyday more and more people are coming forward with the same exact story with identical injuries to match...that is more than just a coincidence.
Young and Old, experienced and not so experienced, adults and kids... people every where and it's not going to stop until something is done about it. That is why they have laws, courts, etc...to fix these problems and to ensure they don't happen to others.
You guys can say whatever you chose to, but your lame examples of 'you falling off your skateboard so now your going to sue" is getting a little old. Not to mention pointless. They have nothing in comparison to what is actually happening.
I am sorry that you all think were "ambulance chasers" and "just looking for easy money"
God knows, that this was in no way easy and my life will never be the same again.
Due to my injury- I lost my job, my ability to run, dance, play sports.. or ever wear heels, dresses or open toed shoes. I am only 24 and now what do I do every summer when my friends are going to the beach or throwing one of their bbq pool parties? This may not matter to you but it's my life and it means everything to me.
I think you guys need to be a little more open minded and understand sometimes things do have design flaws and in turn causes preventable injuries that ruin people's lives, on a daily basis.
If I had the choice to go back in time, I would have never gotten on that rhino, not even for millions of dollars!
And for those of you that keep saying....you had to have been doing something other than turning at a low speed for it to flip. My response to you, NO you don't. It happened to me and it has happened to multiple others. We don't know each other but we all have the same story. How does that happen? If it wasn't true everyone wouldn't have the exact same story.
It's sad how cruel you are to others you know nothing about. A 10 yr. old boy just lost half of his right foot due to the rhino rolling. His love for sports and outdoor activities wash down the drain along with his self confidence.
I really hope you guys can be more understanding and open minded.
What are you going to do when the investigation ends and its proved that there is in fact a design flaw???
Still defend it with your ignorant allegations???

Old 03-09-2007, 12:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Rhino Rollover

Originally posted by: Alexandria
Everyday more and more people are coming forward with the same exact story with identical injuries to match...that is more than just a coincidence.
Young and Old, experienced and not so experienced, adults and kids... people every where and it's not going to stop until something is done about it.
Yes the fix is, if you cant take responsibility for YOUR OWN actions then dont by a D@mn ATV.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2007, 12:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Rhino Rollover

[quote]
Originally posted by: dosthoff
Originally posted by: hard2find

When you engage in any activity related to motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, or even jeeping, you are assuming a risk. Injuries are commonly associated with all different kinds of activities ranging from football to our topic at hand here--offroading. If you aren't prepared to accept the consequences from the risk associated with certain activities, then do us all a favor and leave your @ss at home on the couch.
Well Put there !! I still cant believe the idiots that still complain about their OWN ACTIONS. Its sad that we have to live in a world with these kinds of losers that cant get a life without ruining it for others.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino Rollover

Old 03-09-2007, 01:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Rhino Rollover

Originally posted by: Alexandria
Obviously you don't learn, to bad for you. It's not about taking responsibility for my own actions, I always have and always will. This is about Yamaha taking responsibility for what they have done. I have an inside on the investigation and believe me, if you learn half of the stuff I have...you wouldn't be saying what your saying.
They know they were wrong...why do you think they are settling every case. It's not just to keep it out of the media, it's because the further we dig, the more we find. You would be very surprised on the certain things they "left out" or "took off" just to save themselves a few bucks. Guess Karma decided to come back to them.
I'm obviously not going to get through that thick skull of yours. I just hope you put some doors on yours so it doesn't happen to you too. It's only a matter of time.
Ha !! doors arent going to save your leg or foot!! read my post on the page before. I actually rolled my rhino for the first time. Yes I have the legminders and even if I did have the doors, my wife out of instinct put her leg out and it was at the end of the roll and her foot was at the middle of the windshield where it was crushed and pinned. So dont tell me the half doors will help. Maybe you should tell all the Raptor owners out there to put half doors on their tippy quads and see how silly you will look!! Or tell the guy who parachutes to add 5 more saftey shoots just in case the first 4 dont open!!! Come on bro, get a grip on this.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Range Rover
Default Rhino Rollover

I would be interested to know some of the things they "overlook, or leave out". You have to remember these arent cars

Old 03-09-2007, 02:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino Rollover

First off, I'm not a 'bro.' I am a girl.
Sorry that yours didn't work and thank God your Wife's leg wasn't injured badly..otherwise you would be talking from a different side, believe me. If her injury had been worse and you had to see everything she went through, lengthly hospital stays, screaming and crying from the pain daily, operation after operation, the anxiety it brings on you,rehab to learn to walk again and her life being forever changed. Then maybe just maybe your perspective on this whole thing would change.
Fix your doors or get better ones. Look for ones that are made specifically to keep the legs in, in case of a rollover.
I don't care to argue with you. Your words mean nothing to me. I see how clueless and ignorant you are to this whole situation. It won't be long before you and everyone else on here- is proven wrong.
Sorry that you feel so inclined to defend Yamaha against their wrong doing.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino Rollover

Quick Reply: Rhino Rollover