Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

xr100r??? good or bad???

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 05:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xr100r??? good or bad???

ok nvm i found the spec chart but i would still like to know the top speed. my dad brought up a good point. i think i would do fine on a 125 2 stroke, thats why they invented a throttle. now that im leaning toward a 125, what would be a good make to go w/ ? honda, yamaha, suzuki..........?

Old 08-10-2003, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

The XR 200 will suit you well. 4 strokes make less power than 2 strokes of the same displacement, and they make it differently. A 4 stroke requires less shifting, and that lets you concentrate on little things like the trail, balancing and steering. You can lug a 4 stroke, meaning let the engine speed drop very low, without stalling it, so you can keep on riding. A 2 stroke will stall and you will be pushing that **** up that hill if you get the shifting wrong. You will do WAY less wrenching on the 4 stroke in the long run, since the top end on a 2 stroke engine needs rebuilt annually if you ride a lot. That costs at least a couple hundred $$. A 4 stroke might never need a new top end if kept cool and well lubricated. The motorcycle Safety Foundation offers a one day dirtbike rider course, which is fun and beats ending every ride with a trip to the emergency room and the repair shop. Good luck.

Old 08-10-2003, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer

that is the kinda stuff i need to know. thanx scosho. that gave me a whole diff. outlook on dirtbikes. thanx again. im gonna go to a place selling an xr200 tomorrow to check it out aight late

Old 08-10-2003, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: scosho
The XR 200 will suit you well. 4 strokes make less power than 2 strokes of the same displacement, and they make it differently. A 4 stroke requires less shifting, and that lets you concentrate on little things like the trail, balancing and steering. You can lug a 4 stroke, meaning let the engine speed drop very low, without stalling it, so you can keep on riding. A 2 stroke will stall and you will be pushing that **** up that hill if you get the shifting wrong. You will do WAY less wrenching on the 4 stroke in the long run, since the top end on a 2 stroke engine needs rebuilt annually if you ride a lot. That costs at least a couple hundred $$. A 4 stroke might never need a new top end if kept cool and well lubricated. The motorcycle Safety Foundation offers a one day dirtbike rider course, which is fun and beats ending every ride with a trip to the emergency room and the repair shop. Good luck.

Exactly,I'm just to lazy to right all that.Look at it like this

2stroke=Race track/bike

4stroke=Trail bike

2 strokes do not like to putt around on trails,go slow in a tight section,miss a shift & hammer the throttle & good chance you'll foul your plug.They love to run at a much higher rpm(race track) & haul **** as well.

4 stroke can put all day long or hammer all day,much more forgiving.Much better first bike.

I keep catching myself & others calling a 4 stroke a good first bike but there's a good chance you may never even want a 2 stroke later on.Some people have to have the very fastest & some can be happy with just fast.

Derrick[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-10-2003, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

The throttle on a 2 stroke is meant to be cranked on and used.....you need to keep it on the pipe, if you just put around you will find yourself stalling the bike and fouling plugs a lot. One of my friends was stupid and wouldn't listen to myself and other friends when he decided to go with a 125 as a first bike with no riding experience and he broke his arm and a finger the first time he rode it.

Old 08-12-2003, 01:54 AM
Trailblazer

my parents are being dumb now and arent gonna let me buy a dirtbike yet cuz....... idk y but thanx for the info everybody, i will use it in the future when i go to buy a dirtbike.