Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher 400AT vs Rincon

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004 | 11:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rancher 400AT vs Rincon

One advantage the rincon would have over the rancher is the larger displacement which translates to less noticeable power loss in higher elevations. I have good freind who owns a home in Breckenridge. He has a foreman 450es. I have a 400ex and my father has a 450es also. We have re-jetted the carbs to ride at that elevation but even after re-jetting, they just don't seem to run as well(granted, the re-jetting was kinda quick). Anyway, with more cc's the power loss from riding to different elevations might be more tolerable.

Old 03-20-2004 | 03:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

the rincon is a completly different machine than all the other 4x4 honda's. I have always loved hondas quality but hated their suspension, untill i bought the rincon. absolutly the best machine ever made. i cant say that it is going to be the best work machine. i would think it will be an average work machine. but it is by far the best trail machine made. great torque, handling, the best suspension. the only problem is how the suspension can make you feel like your going slow when your screaming down the trail.

Old 04-17-2004 | 10:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a rincon, you won't regret getting a rancher 400AT. Rincon can ride wheelies and go faster, but Rancher excels in everyting else. Good luck.

Old 04-17-2004 | 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

The Rancher AT's have NO bottom end for even 25" mud bugs. I recommend you go over to highlifter and see what owners over there are saying.

Some said that even with stock tires it wouldn't pull them out of a mud hole! They say it needs a low range.

The Rinny wins in every category except price.

Old 04-17-2004 | 12:37 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

How "technical" is your trail riding going to be? If a "trail" is a rock strewn piece of nasty single track, you are better off with the smaller machine. If a "trail" is really just cruising a fairly open fire road, then the Rincon might be the more comfortable ride.

I have heard that the Rincon has no engine braking below 8 mph. I have ridden the V-Force, and it does the same thing. It freewheels at low speed, and you have to gas it to get the centrifugal clutch to engage. I guess one could get use to this, but why when there are other better designs out there. This makes the Rincon unsuitable for technical riding in my book.

Old 06-02-2004 | 03:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a rancher with 25" ITP mud lites. I really had to try hard to get it stuck. It does need some ground clearance work, I'm in the process of that. However, it's a great machine if you ask me. It's all in rider experience. I could go through more than my bud and his Polaris 700 twin EFI!!! Believe it or not....

It definately needs new tires...probably 26" will work best.

I'm thinking about going 27" with type 5 rims, add on a jet kit, pipe, ,lift kit, and air filter and you shouldn't really experience any power loss.

It's a great machine, I got mine for $5500. And it was worth the money. It's either you get an AT and tweak it make it look bad ***, and brag because your AT is smaller but much meaner. OR go big right away and have a Rincon that can do the same...but only because it's a bigger machine.

Old 06-05-2004 | 01:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Rincon is a great machine. If you are a bigger guy, you will be able to manilulate the big horse around easier.

Rincon has the best suspension I've ridden on the trails. I will not give mine up for that reason.
After a rough day riding, you feel like you haven't even ridden, even fell great the next morning [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
You want a smooth ride? I sya my Rincon ride better than a Cadillac [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
It is a SUV quad. It give you a very sporty ride when you want it. Makes for fun riding.
It has plenty of power to plow and do what it sounds like you want to do.
I have towed and had to move heavy objects, no problems.
I personally love the tranny, very sporty but also can work.
The ESP works great when you need it.
Doesn't way much more than the AT. Weighs the same as my Foreman. Both 600 lbs.

Only thing I don't like, is now low gearing. But that really only comes into play on steep technical trails where you have to physically manhandle and manipulate the quad around. Where you want to really crawl along and not have to worry about braking. The last you want to worry about is having to be on the brakes the whole time. I like my Foreman in those instances. If that is not a problem for you and where you will ride, not much else bad to say about the Rincon.

Good Luck

Old 06-13-2004 | 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have ridden a rincon and they are weak. I have also ridden a Kawasaki 650 v-twin and they have tons of power. the rincon does ride really nice and has independent rear suspension. As long as your not looking for lots of power then the rincon might be for you. I had a rubicon and it was awesome i am getting another one soon.