Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

twist or thumb throttle poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twist or thumb throttle poll

Originally posted by: Sm0k3d
I love thumb, hate twist on anything except for a dirtbike.
Yeah..me too

Old 08-26-2004, 02:00 PM
Trailblazer

I would use what ever is confortable.. But right now, i have no money to get the confortable one so ill stay with the thumb.

Old 08-26-2004, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

THUMB THUMB THUMB

Here's my thoughts after riding with both on many different machines.

Twist Throttles (in my opinion) are evil on a quad.

What happens, is you're giving up some of the stability and secure feel of keeping the bars under control, as you're now having to pivot and hold your wrist twisted to hold the throttle steady.

It has to do with the steering geometry, but I don't notice or get bothered by the twist throttle on any dirt bike I've ever rode, but on a Quad, you're bringing the bar grips more into your hip than on a bike.

I had a twist throttle on my 404cc big bore banshee, and it bit me a few times bad.

4 types of problems.:

1) What happens, is say you're taking off a little jump, and at the bottom of the jump at the ramp transition your wrist gets jarred and you grab a BIG handful of throttle at a real bad time. I almost looped out a couple of jumps this way getting the nose wayyyy too high.

2) Other bad news is when you're landing a landing, your wrist twists as you land, and suddenly you're in un-expected Wheelie land again.

3) Also just holding steady throttle through straight level but 2' whoops sections, like on the fast beach access roads, you're bouncing around so much you're throttle is getting blipped blipped blipped.

4) Or when you come into a corner fast and your body weight gets slammed forward into the gas tank or bars, you're trying to push off your bars to get back over the seat for some rear traction, but you can't both push off the bars, while twisting on that STUPID FRIGGIN" twist throttle...........

But other than those 4 death testing wrist snapping bad ball bashing crash scenario's, I think twist throttles are great and everybody should own one or two!

he heh.

Your choice. Try it and if you don't like it you can always take it off...........