Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2000 Rancher ES won't move when in gear.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Rancher ES won't move when in gear.

Thanks dzzy,

Your right about the lever, I figured out where it hit at. When the spring pin broke it allowed the lever to rotate around and grind on the bottom outer clutch housing that hold the clutch weights.

I managed to get the broken end of the spring pin out with the extractor with no problems.

Now I have another question, With the damage to this lever is it possable that the shift drum could get damaged also, and am I right in thinking that you have to open the crank case to get to it?

Glad to hear any thoughtsyall have on this thing.

Thanks
Mike

Old 02-27-2005, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's highly unlikely anything else was damaged. I lost count long ago of how many shift linkage's on various ATV's and bikes I've repaired, and I can't think of once that anything internal was damaged. Yes you're right about the shift drum, tran gears and forks...it requires case splitting. The 350 tran is very durable too, though I remember one year, I'm thinkin' mainly 01, that we had problems with the end of the shift drum (engine rear) that operated the neutral switch\gear switch breaking. The fix was to replace with an 02 shift drum, and remove the bearing. Starting in 02, that end of the shift drum was wider and just used the hole in the case as a bearing surface. I'm getting off on tangents here though.

Old 02-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dzzy,

Thats good news, I really am not ready to go into the case by myself anytime soon.

I posted some pictures of the lever, pin and inside the engine. what ya think?

I started working on the rest of the bike today. I might as well replace or fix things while I have the all the front fenders off. The steering has been stiff ever since my "head on" with a polaris in a mud strip. that crash broke my lower arm and folded the rim. The polaris cracked a little spot in his rack. Anyway. The bearing in the steering shaft is not turning smoothly and the right upper ball joint has alot of play(1-2 centmeters).

Thanks for your help with this stuff.

Mike

Old 03-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

*******Update********

For those that would like to know.

I recieved the parts I ordered and replaced the spring pin and cam lever. The clutch disks where all in spec and everything looked good. Everything went smooth and was alot easier than I thought. I sealed the case up saturday and put the engine back in the frame sunday. Yesterday evening I finished hooking up the electical connections and tail pipe.

It fired up on the first bump of the starter and shifted smoother than I have ever remembered. The engine also sounded better to me, I don't know whats up with that, my wife even commented on it.

Now all thats left is putting the plastics on and changine the rearend lube, and then its riding time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Well thanks for all yall's help Dzzy, Gimp, and Hondabuster.

Mike

Old 03-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The other two guys (dzzy and gimpster), know hondas, they did the heavy lifting....good to hear it got fixed and is running.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Congrats muddymike...you done good.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

muddymike --- That ROCKS !! I knew you could do it.

I haven't been on here much lately ... I have been rebuilding my Legends Car, and found out I have a race in the Fargo Dome up here in the middle of next month. So I have to get it done way sooner than our first dirt race of the season. Chassis is still on the jig and the body isn't done.

Enjoy the Rancher, and if you need any help again, chime in ...

----- Gimp -----