Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

99 recon Prob

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 recon Prob

I have a 99 recon and had it rebuilt at the honda dealership, and ever since it came back there has been a prob with the trans. There is no longer a neutral between the gears, b4 you could hold the shifter up or down and it would be like pulling in the cluth on a manual clutch maching, but now its like shifting a manual clutch bike without using the clutch. I contacted the dealship and told them of the problem but they claim they did nothing to affect the trans. So is there anyway to adjust the auto clutch on my recon, and has anyone ever had this prob with a auto clutch machine? Any comments would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:27 AM
Range Rover
Default 99 recon Prob

I did some searching and some reading and i am going to try and adjust the clutch to see if this helps. Hopefully it will, but has anyone ever experenced this or know of this happening to anyone? Oh yeah, and the reason i am trying to do it myself is the dealership gave me a guesstimate or somewhere around $400, that's crazy. But i just wanted to say thanks to atv connection for having the forums, i have really learned alot up here. THANKS !

Old 02-23-2005, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 recon Prob

A good start would be to adjust the auto clutch, on the front of the engine. Break loose and back off the locknut with a 14mm wrench while holding the flat blade adjustment screw. Turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise til you feel resistance (this removes all the play in the linkage), then turn the adjusting screw one quarter turn clockwise (to allow a little play). Tighten the locknut without moving the adjuster. If your dealer did anything besides top end work, they could have disrupted this adjustment. Even if they didn't, a good mechanic would have noticed the hard shifting on the test ride and adjusted it for you, it only takes a few minutes.

Old 02-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default 99 recon Prob

I have an o4 Recon Electric Shift. It has never had a CLUTCH like yours. When I shift it goes into gear. Holding the button doesn't hold it in neutral. I wish I could do that. I can't even rev it up and throw it in gear to spin. It will not go into gear unless your barely moving.IT would be nice to be able to rev it up and drop it in 2nd or 3rd to spin around the corners some times or ride a wheelie.

If you figure out how to fix this let me know. As far as I knew this was normal and you could not have a clutch effect like yours. It may be that your clutch was out of adjustment and now they have it right. Anyway mine is like yours is now from the factory so if you find a way to adjust yours back let me know.

Old 02-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Range Rover
Default 99 recon Prob

All auto clutch type 4 wheelers have this "false neutral" that i am talking about between the gears except for the Electirc shift (ES) versions that honda sells. I have never had this happen b4 but then again, i bought this recon from a buddy of mine after it was rebuilt, and ever since its been back from the shop its been like this i didnt pay to much for it so im not really worried about it. Hopefully i will have time this weekend to adjust the clutch, and i hope this fixes it, bc after that im sellin it but i want to make sure the tranny is working right b4 i sell it to someone, i would fell bad if i did that, and if i was that person buyin it i would be pissed, but anyway. Thanks for the reply, and i will let yall know if adjusting the clutch works. Thanks.