Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

EX or Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EX or Z

Whats next, ex is better than z because it gets 1/48 of a mile per gallon better millage. Or because it's red. Oh I got it, it's the honda sticker on it.

Old 12-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default EX or Z

Oil cooler, oil tank, call it what you want they are made similar, both hold oil and are outside of the motor. You can knock a hole in one just as easily as the other, duh. I feel sorry for anyone buying a new Z with the corosion problem right off the bat. Do a search and check out some pics people have posted. Honestly I feel sorry for Suzuki and everyone that has one to have this problem facing a new and otherwise good bike. Hopefully Suzuki will back this problem up and fix it quickly for bikes in and out of warranty.
Backing me up on the price thing? Obviously you were infering that the Honda is cheaper or less of a bike so it should be cheaper but I am living proof of what it costs to own a KFX400. The EX is cheaper to own and ride, atleast for me anyway. I'm sure someone will jump in and say they've never had to turn a bolt on their Z. I'm just conveying my experience with my KFX and its repair bills.

Old 12-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default EX or Z

I finally just get it Midnite with your last post. You're just gonna bash a Honda just because it's a Honda. You can't stand it if someone picks it over something else. No matter what you say it's painfully clear to everyone reading. Again, you're on a Honda forum trying to peeve as many people as possible then you get off the facts with station wagons, ferraris, mpg and the color red. I'm still gonna pick the EX because of the facts and not because it's red, etc.

Old 12-18-2005, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default EX or Z

The oil cooler is what cools the ex motor. It looks like a little radiator. Wow. The ex has an oil tank+an oil cooler ok. You follow me. The z has an oil tank and a radiator {since it's liquid cooled Not oil cooled like ex}. Still with me? If performance is your main criteria for choosing a bike, then yes z is better than ex. If your main criteria in choosing a bike is that it has a honda sticker on it well then the ex is better than z400, ds650, raptor, cannondale, yfz, banshee, quadzilla, gas gas, and ltr450. I wonder if you even have a 400ex since you can't comprehend what the h3ll an oil cooler is. It's under the gas tank headlight area. Go take a look at it so you will know just what an oil cooler looks like.

Old 12-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Range Rover
Default EX or Z

[quote]
Originally posted by: midnite
Originally posted by: RIDER11X
Originally posted by: midnite
Ha ha, thats funny. Choosing a quad based on the price of replacement parts, that you may never buy. If thats such an issue in choosing a quad, I'm sure replacement parts for trx 90 are cheaper than a 400ex. So using that logic, trx90 is better than 400ex. LOL
Well That must mean that you either got a huge budget for racing, OR you are not a serious racer that must have enough cash flow for long distance transportation, race fees, food, spare parts, and replacement parts. Racing is ultra expensive as it is, and if your machine is inexpensive to buy parts for that is a big help. Let's face it, if you race and do well, you will wear out and break stuff.....period. Now, if the machine gets you to every finish and is cheap to get new stuff for, you are headed in a good direction for some wins.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I doubt any SERIOUS racer cares if new fenders are $100 cheaper for an inferior bike. Serious racers want the best race machine posible. Why run second, just to save $100 on fenders. q]

Inferior? When is the last time a Z400 won the Baja 1000? Ok, name one team that ever raced a Z400 at a Baja 1000 event..................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Yeah, I thought so. The thing that strikes me as a bit odd, is that you know all about what it takes to have a good four stroke race quad, yet you claim no racing experiance, nor do you ride a four stroke, and you ride a Banshee which is very dated in technology even in comparison to the "INFERIOR" 400ex.

Also, the 400ex was introduced in 1999, the right way, and never needed to go back to the drawing board to fix chassis problems let alone the "DOESN"T HAPPEN" timing problems. The 400ex only had reverse added for more novice riders, and a plastic restying. That is what makes them great, they do a good job testing before the introduction.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default EX or Z

I like honda. As a matter of fact I've owned more honda's {4} than any other brand. My first honda was a brand new 1984 atc 200s. Really liked it. Well built compared to what else was avalible at that time. 20 years later, honda still makes quality bikes, but you know what, in those 20 years the competition has caught up. Not only has the competition caught up in quality, they have surpassed honda in performance. Like I said, I choose a bike based on what it is, not who makes it. If honda came out with a 700ex I would be very intrested, but looking at the modern day honda, I doubt it would have better performance than 700raptor.

Old 12-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default EX or Z

If the KFX is an example of Suzuki's quality compared to an EX there is no comparison. Fit and finish not to mention durability is won hands down by Honda. The KFX will win a drag race just barely. The swingarm adjustment nightmare is a prime example of the differences between the two. Does anyone think the Z's swingarm is a better quality swingarm then the EX? The EX has smoother, more usable power. You don't have to rev it to use it. I bought the KFX based on what people said about it and I'm sorry I did.
I do stand corrected on the oil cooler, about 1/3 the size of the Z's radiator tucked higher up the frame. I still prefer it over liquid cooling.
Midnite, don't make stuff up, I never said I would pick a bike because it said Honda on it. Reread my list of criteria. We do have this in common, I also purchase a bike based on what it is and not who makes it. We don't agree on the "what it is" part.
Is the magnesium cover being corroded by the coolant an example of other companies quality? Is the swingarm an example?

Old 12-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default EX or Z

[quote]
Originally posted by: KyJoe340
The swingarm adjustment nightmare is a prime example of the differences between the two. Does anyone think the Z's swingarm is a better quality swingarm then the EX?[quote]
How do you adjust the swing arm? You mean the ex has an eccentric axle carrier, while the z doesn't? Yes it would be easier to adjust the ex chain. 4mins to adjust ex chain, 8 mins to adjust the z chain. Chain adjustment isn't a nightmere, it's matenence. Rebuilding a tranny is a nightmere. You can find all kinds of stock swingers for sale on flea-bay. Believe it or not, people sometimes want longer swingers. Nothing wrong with selling the old one is there?
The EX has smoother, more usable power. You don't have to rev it to use it.
Whats wrong with reving a motor to make power. I think it's a total blast. Whats so fun about smooth BORING power.
Don't know about the magnisum covers. Mx dirtbike riders have been using aftermarket magnisum waterpump covers and such for years. If it's a widespread problem suzuki should use the old covers.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer
Default EX or Z

Exactly my point, in tight situations in the woods I want very predictable power. The Z is great in more open situations. In the woods I have to feather the clutch too much. I used to race hare scrambles and that type of riding appeals to me. With smooth boring power you are less likely to smack a tree. Back to the chain adjustment, 4 min is accurate for an EX. Being a perfectionist with my maintenance I checked the alignment on my KFX's rear axle by measuring from the tip of each end of the axle to a center point at the front of the frame. After aligning the axle using the marks on the swingarm I found that the axle was still over 3/4" out of alignment. This procedure isn't in the service manual I was just curious about how square the axle was with the rest of the frame. About an hour later I got the axle 1/16" from square and I settled for that. With the EX it's perfect in 4 min or less. Magnesium ( hit your spell check) covers, go to the Suzuki forum there is a long thread on corroding. Apparently when you mix metals this can cause some corrosion in some cases unless the coolant compensates for it.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default EX or Z

From what I have experianced and seen the EX is a better buy. Out of the box its a hell of a trail machine and tons of fun to play around on. If you want something race oriented then both bikes are a mistake, if you want serious power and handling then go with a YFZ or 450R or soon to be here Zuki-450. The Z gets beat in the technical stuff by the EX, beat on the track by the 450's and spanked in the dunes by the 450's, Raptors, DS650's and Shee's. The z/kfx 400 has kind of lost its place in todays sport world which is why the LT450 is on its way.