Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Recon Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recon Clutch

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...a/HJ610011.gif

this looks like 2 clutches to me. 2000 recon finally got to give it a spin after all that rear end work. Put it in first takes off fine. change into 2nd and it grabs but after you give it all the gas sounds like the clutch is slipping. let off give it gas again it catches up. same way in 3rd 4th 5th. I adjusted it with the manual specs and same thing. I put it in first and the front aganst a light pole and no slipage,..... Any good advice? and no i haven't gotten a Clymers manual yet.,.lol i'm spending all my money on parts

Old 10-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Recon Clutch

what do you mean "I put it in first and the front aganst a light pole and no slipage". it will spin the tires?

and yes, two clutches so you don't have a manual clutch lever. Item 17+ is a centrifugal clutch that just engages and disengages the engine to the multi-plate clutch. That's all that does. Once you are revving (higher than engagement) and shifting, the multi-plate clutch (item 1+) is disengaged (so you can shift) by your foot, before it changes gear. I forgot how the old Honda's feel, but Artic Cats can be pushed down partially and get the plate clutch to disengage without shifting gears (you can use that for a better holeshot)

You aren't really making power with a small motor until its revving, so I would expect it to show slippage in the higher gears and rpm first. Which clutch is slipping is what you have to figure out. Often it's the plate clutch misadjusted or needing new plates (I do springs at the same time).

Old 10-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Recon Clutch

I mean that when i put it under a load in first, it doesn't slip in first. I'm thinking that the friction plates are worn, since the adjustment screw feels like it has bottomed out. This quad has set up for 2 years not running. I rode it yesterday and it seems to do alittle better.

Have i told you guys that your alot of help, i really enjoy reading the forums

PS Willebee, man after that rebuild on the carb(and seafoam) you don't even have to use the choke to crank it.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Recon Clutch

Well first I would ask you is the clutch torqued up to stock specs and are the plates in the right order...Then do you have enough oil take a closer look at the clutch itself and inspect to see if there is any damage.