Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch slipping

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but will regular motor oil cause the clutch to slip on a Honda Rancher?

Old 11-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch slipping

Regular motor oil....I assume that means "car" oil??? Here is a good read here on oil for your quad, and why you don't want to run "car" oil...even in your car!

http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

If you select a motorcycle oil that is API SG/JASO MA, you won't go far wrong (there are lots of them out there!). Beyond that, the synthetics have huge advantages over old fashion dino oil, and the ester synthetics have advantages over the two other types of synthetics.

If you want a cheap dino oil, then I would suggest Maxima Premium or Honda's own GN4. A little higher up the scale is Honda's HP4 or Maxima's Blend which are petroleum/synthetic blends. If you are willing to pay for an ester synthetic, then RedLine, Maxima Extra, Kotz, or Motul.

In the old days, we were scared that a synthetic would make an autoclutch slip. Then I tried it and it didn't have any adverse effects. I am currently running RedLine MC Oil in everything.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default Clutch slipping

So I guess your answer is yes that regular engine oil will allow the clutch to slip. That article is informative, only filled with myths, which I am sure you will debate and that is ok, I am not going to switch to syntetic oil for "just because" reasons based on no factual reasons. I have been using "Dino" oil in all my cars and trucks with nothing but good results, so why pay 2, 3, or 5 times as much for no good reason. The problem is with the motorcycle engines, the Japanese are so smart they put a clutch, which works off of friction, in an oil sump which is to reduce friction. So now in order for the clutch to work properly, an additive has to be added in the oil to increase friction, which in return is harder on the rest of the engine...intellegent!

Old 11-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Red Rider
Default Clutch slipping

Sounds like you did this post just looking to pick a fight! If you figure you have all the answers already anyway and your clutch isn't actually slipping, what was the point????

Run whatever oil you like for whatever reasons you like! It's your machine and if you make a poor choice the consequences will be all your own to deal with (but after ruining the engine you will probably just sell it off to some poor fool who doesn't know any better, right).

For me, using premium oils and frequent maintenance is always going to be chaeper than a rebuild, so that is where I stand on that......

Friction modifiers decrease friction. Sounds to me like you think they increse friction (????). JASO MA oils leave out friction modifiers like molybdenum disulfide, in order to prevent clutch slippage. Sounds like you think they add something to prevent slippage???

Boys and girls, if you like cheap oil, just get some Maxima Premium which is $4/quart. It has a monster additive package, and is the best of the less expensive dino oils.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer
Default Clutch slipping

Ok fella, I just asked a question, which I said was a dumb question to begin with and I guess when I ask a stupid question I should expect a stupid answer. I just gave you my opinion after you gave me your opinion, you did not even answer the question. Hey I also don't care what oil you use, I did not ask you what kind of oil you use, but you are always quick to tell everybody else how they should do everything....you know I am sitting here writing this thing thinking what is the point I look at the number of posts you have, you can can have your website, I will stick with talking to experts and you can just keep posting articles that you have saved over the years.
Thanks for your help.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Red Rider
Default Clutch slipping

All anyone needs to know when picking an oil is that it needs meet API SG and
JASO MA. There are literally a hundred motorcycle oils to choose from out there that meet those specs.....enough different ones to meet everybody's different tastes. It's oh so simple........