Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rancher es 350 no fire

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rancher es 350 no fire

i am not the most mechanical person but always try to fix things myself. i had a problem with my float getting stuck open ( bad gas odor) AND THE GAS LEAKing out of the overflow tube. removed the carb and cleaned it thouroughly. also cleaned the gas tank thouroughly. put it all back together.
now the problem. since ive done this i have no fire. replaced the spark plug suspecting it was gas fowled from the over flow of gas into the crank case.. have not replaced the oil yet but am going to after i reestablish a spark. when the new spark plug didnt work i put a tester on the wire. and no spark. i removed the wire and the coil. i tested the green and the (yellow and black striped) wires by placing the tester across both wirres and cranking and got negative results i crossed the tester from the green wire to the hot post on the battery and the indicator came on. i placed the tester on the black and yellow striped wire and the negative post on the battery. i cranked it and no indicator at all. i still have no spark. first question where do i check next and second question does anyone have a wireing diagram for a 2006 rancher es 350

Old 12-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Range Rover

check your stator and your cdi also dose the coil work at all i have had that same prob before i just replaced the stator it fired right up and i got rit of it the stator is under flywheel there is a good way to see if it works unplug the black wire with the red strip that runs into stator hold it the metal part and crank it over it seems a little nuts but try it if it hardly dose anything that is probly your problem mine i hardly felt any some times i felt alot and the other i didnt fill anything the shock that comes out of that should hurt you o also clean it and if that not the prob than try your coil or your stator i wil try and find the wiring for you

Old 12-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Range Rover

this is the closet thing i could find for a rancher http://houseofmotorcycles.bike...ancher-es-2006/o/m2648

Old 12-15-2007, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check ALL of your fuses first.
On newer units they do not ohm the pulse generator anymore. A peak voltage adapter is to be used for checking for voltage of the blue/yellow wire at the CDI or stator connector.
The stator connector is is just inside the foreward right rear wheel opening on the frame. The connector is round and has 3 yellow wires, the Blue/yellow, and a green within it (5 pin). Remove the connector from the frame first then unplug it. Check in between all 3 yellow wires for continuity with an ohm meter, continuity should exist. Then check each yellow with the ohm meter to engine ground, no continuity should exist. Since there is no ohm spec on the pulser, you can check it from the blue/yellow and green wire in the stator connector. Resistance should be in the 250 to 350 range (generally).
The way you were checking the coil leads will prove nothing. You would be better off with a test light connected to engine ground and probing the black/yellow wire lead at the coil with the test light probe, while turning the engine over and see better results.
If by chance you find a peak voltage adapter for an ohm meter, at the coil Black yellow wire, you should be in the 100 volt range max and at the blue yellow of the pulser, a .7 volt minimum should be seen.
I suggest a digital meter as an analog meter may put impenence into the system that may harm electronic components.

----- Gimpster -----

Old 04-09-2020, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default No fire issue

2006 Honda rancher 350 4x4 having a no fire issue have replaced the cdi box, the coil, the stator, the rectifier, e.t.c still recieving no spark through spark plug. Tested the wires at the coil while plugged in you get nothing but if you unplug and test them it's reading 280 volts which I feel is insane im left at a loss of where to go or what to try next any help appreciated

Old 11-30-2020, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you ever figure out this issue? Have the same exact problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Originally Posted by Jeremy Carpenter Carpo
2006 Honda rancher 350 4x4 having a no fire issue have replaced the cdi box, the coil, the stator, the rectifier, e.t.c still recieving no spark through spark plug. Tested the wires at the coil while plugged in you get nothing but if you unplug and test them it's reading 280 volts which I feel is insane im left at a loss of where to go or what to try next any help appreciated

Old 11-30-2020, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default No Spark

06 Rancher es no spark...parked in fall no spark in spring

220 volts DC at ignition coil black/yellow (disconnected)with key on only...connect wire to coil no voltage

replaced stator, cdi, voltage regulator, and ignition coil...checked switches and neutral light is on...checked grounds and battery voltage good

only getting .3 volts dc out of stator blue/yel I believe with peak voltage adapter but checked a running machine and got roughly the same(.4)

ANY input?

Old 12-01-2020, 03:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 308 Likes on 302 Posts

Hope you changed the plug first, it isn't on your list. I fail to see how you could be getting 230v at coil and it still not causing it to spark, anyway, this is how I test ignition systems on old Hondas. Check all the wires at the plug going into the CDI. Pulse generator wires should be giving that .3v there. Earth should be earthed, the yellow to stator should be connected to stator, live from ignition should be live, test earths and live with a test lamp to ensure you are getting power, not just volts. Neutral light wire is a bit more tricky, can't remember if it is earthed in neutral and dead in gear or t'other way round, should be working when you test it anyway, check coil earth. Once you have been round all the wires into CDI and ruled out any faults, only other thing it can be is faulty CDI.