Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Been gone a long time folks. Need carb settings for 02' Rancher.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been gone a long time folks. Need carb settings for 02' Rancher.

Whats up folks!
I was a regular here about 3 years ago, been out of country for a while, and the quad game also. Some of you may remember me or my quads.

Just got back to find that one of my put-put quads, a 02' ES rancher has been sitting for 3 years. Dead battery (duh) and pure gunk in the carb
, and I am looking for some rough settings for the screws on this carb.
Thanks, and glad to be back!

Old 01-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean the carb and pay particular attention to the slow (idle/pilot) jet. You would be surprised how many people "clean" their carb and still have idling problems when they are done....because they neglect the slow jet.

To set the fuel screw, at high idle turn the screw in until it begins to run bad. Then turn it out...counting the number of turns...until it begins to run bad. Then turn it back in, half the number of turns you counted, to split the difference.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

When you say "The screw"

I only have 2 things I can turn. On the right side, I have the bowl drain, and the idle adjustment.
Am I not seeing something?

Old 01-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

There will be an idle speed screw, and then the float bowl drain screw, and the mixture screw, which is on the underside of carb , just forward of the float bowl.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Wouldn't hurt to have a service manual on hand!!! It has pictures of all this kind of stuff.

In a sense, the fuel screw is the "fine tuning" for the slow jet....

Old 01-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

No2StrokeBs anytime i clean a carb on a bike or quad that ran good before it has been sitting up long enough to gunkup the carb , after i remove the carb i count the number of turn's in clockwise on the mixture screw untill you feel a light seat/not to much or you will damage the seat ; and mark it down for a reference point after cleaning and putting it back together !

And if there's any wear visible on the needle after cleaning i would get a new kit with new jet's , seat's and the work's , then you can start at the referenced turn's on the mixture screw ; the best thing i have found for cleaning a dirty carb now is Berryman Chem Dip !

The gallon size can is perfect for the carb you have on your quad , the can come's with a part's basket to dunk the carb and small part's in ; and it's strong stuff the last carb i cleaned was on a Honda that had sit up for 3 yrs. and it didn't take 10 minutes to clean in the Chem Dip !

Just a few hard to get at spot's that i used an old tooth brush for these hardened spot's , and it was ready for a rinse in a pan of water to remove the Chem Dip ; and dunked into a pan of Acetone for fast drying and a shot of compressed air and it was ready to put back together !

The old Gunk Kit's were good in the 70's and 80's , but they have weakened it for some reason ; i suppect so they can sell it in CA. i tried it in the late 90's and after soaking over night it didn't clean as good as the Chem Dip does in 10 minutes !

But be carefull not to get it on you skin , i use long needle nosed plyers to incert and remove the carb and part's from the Chem Dip part's basket ; it's that strong and good luck getting the quad going again !........

Old 01-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks folks.

Got her running pretty good in about 1hr.