Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

06 Rancher AT

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Rancher AT

Gentlemen,

I've perused this forum and got some info on the shifting issues the Ranchers have. However, I believe my issue to be a little diff't. Any and all info is appreciated.
I have a Rancher AT 400 I bought w/52 miles on it. I've put 9 miles on it in 14 months and is stored inside. I was dirty so I washed it. Since then, I can't get it to shift in ESP or Auto mode out of first. Actually, one time in the auto mode it jumped into 2nd as I was approaching the driveway so I thought it over rode what ever problem it was having. However, that was it and since then it is stuck in 1st. So I disconnected the four wire harnesses in the front, blew them out/dried them. Still has same issue. Didn't put the di electric grease on it (yet) but it's been hot and dry in the storage shed and would be shocked if after blowing connections out it would still be wet.
I then tested the connector in the rear near the brain for the ohms per one of the posting on this site. It tested the right value. Then I disconnected the angle sensor and that plug for continuity. If I'm correct, continuity should show that current is going all the way through (which it is) as I got a reading upon making good contact w/the leads. So, my thought is I have some other issue.
I have also checked for codes by holding in on the up/down shifters, turned on the key, let off and pushed again and I get 6 blinks and 9 blinks as codes.
6 flashes, ECU fail safe relay circuit, probable faulty part,ECU
9 flashes, angle sensor system, probable faulty part,angle sensor(short or open), or related wiring , or ECU
The question is, is there anything else I can "check" that may be upstream of my issues or does my situation tell me something glaringly obvious I'm not seeing? Again, your patience w/a new ATV'er is appreciated.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 Rancher AT

I would delete the codes and re-test , they may be stored codes

Old 07-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 Rancher AT

Will try again. I also got the part from another post about clearing the codes. I do believe I did the procedure correct, but couldn't seem to delete them. I did the two button, turn on, part and then the sweep of the throttle to clear them but it didn't go back to the "N" neutral in the indicator.
Again, I thought I cleared them per the instructions as I had them right at my side but I'll try it again.
I contend it had something to do w/the washing of the machine as it worked fine up to that point. I didn't use a power washer but house spigot/hose/nozzle. If it were water, wouldn't you think it would be dry after three weeks and/or using compressor to blow it out?
Also, I'm looking to buy a/the manual for these sort of issues if anyone could recommend one. Is there the "coup de gras" of manuals or are there multilple ones? Thanks always for helping.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 Rancher AT

To erase the codes just push and hold the up/down buttons simultaneously while the trouble codes are flashing ...

If you want the Hondamatic section from the 2004-06 TRX400FG/FA PDF shop manual just PM me your email address ..

Old 07-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 Rancher AT

that what happens when you go putting too much technology into somthing, a computer controlled auto quad sounds like a disaster waiting to happen HONDA WHAT WERE YOU THINKING

Old 07-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 Rancher AT

Sounds like moisture in a switch or connector. Prolly disconnect them and see if any moisture is in them. Then reset everything once the switches are working correctly

----- Gimp -----

Old 07-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 Rancher AT

HondaMechanic,

Just PM'd you. Thanks for the help and suggestions. Will keep at it until I figure it out. I still can't believe there would be water in any of the connectors after this much time and heat in the garage.

Trending Topics

Old 07-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 Rancher AT

Try this one on...started working on the error code six to verify the ohm value and/or resistance. When I went to shift (in ESP), the gear indicator showed I was in 1st gear but didn't have the shifter fully in the slot. Took it for a spin and I got it to 2nd gear and then the shift indicator went back to two dashes. I stopped and tinkered w/the shifter again and got it to show it was in 2nd gear but it hadn't fully engaged the gear. So then I put it in gear w/the indicator showing the two dashes. I lightly pulled back on the shifter so the signal would show me what gear I was in. I took it a couple hundred yards and went up/down all the gears.
Then I put it in neutral, selected Auto and the "D" appeared. Drove it and it worked perfectly. So, I go back to ESP and thought it may be touchy, thinking it could be a linkage issue, but it worked perfectly too.
Lastly, I kind of hammered on it racing around switching back and forth between ESP and Auto and all works well.
Any last thoughts on what my issue may be? I realize it is working now but would like to feel better about what it may have been or prevent it from happening again.
Just kind of reaching and wondering if the angles sensor is going out?...does the linkagae have anything to do w/the angle sensor?...etc.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 Rancher AT

Either the sub-transmission cable isn't/wasn't adjusted just right .. Or the "D" gear position switch was acting up ..

Old 07-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 Rancher AT

9 miles in 14 months??????? Is that correct or was that a typo?

Maybe it thinks it's never supposed to leave 1st gear???

9 MILES?? in 14 MONTHS???