Front or Rear bag?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StanD
Recon
I know you get a bit of criticism for some of the comments you make but I’d like you to know that you have been influential in my decision to buy the Honda Rancher and I want to thank you for that. You’re are very positive in your convictions concerning Honda Quality amidst the many posts describing such a multitude of troubles.
I'm a Honda guy???? Let see, in the last few years I have owned 3 Suzukis, 1 Kawasaki, 3 Yamahas....and I just ordered a new Yamaha dirt bike yesterday (WR250R dual-sport). True, it is the Hondas that I have held onto long term....and I think that says plenty right there!

Old 01-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got to go along with Specta.

Riding out here in the western Rockies, you better put a bag on each end and carry everything you need to make it trough the night or for that maybe two or three nights if the worse happens...........and you better be prepared for the worse.
I always carry two bags, with alot of the stuff that Specta carrys and some more. My wife carries a rear bag and has a front basket for extra gas and misc.

Recon, if you aren't at least carrying some emergence supplies riding in the desert, you are crazy.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:01 AM
Red Rider

Originally Posted by tramp

Recon, if you aren't at least carrying some emergence supplies riding in the desert, you are crazy.
Water! On the sport quads in the desert, that means a Camelback (can run double 3 liter bags if necessary). But, when I ride the Rancher, that generally means that I am in the mountains, where there is plenty of water....as long as you have a way to purify it or melt snow.

Again, if you take a your lead from ultralight backpackers, 10 pounds worth of gear (three-season) can get you through a night in total comfort (tent, sleeping bag, ground pad), and it doesn't take much space either. I ride with some guys who are loaded down all the time, and it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. In a lifetime of riding, including ironman riding in Baja when I was a teen, I have never needed to be rescued by anyone...but I have rescued plenty of other folks!

Old 01-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

Always one "know it all" that thinks he is invincable in every bunch!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tramp
Always one "know it all" that thinks he is invincible in every bunch!
Those who think they know everything bother us that do. LOL

This was the ride we took yesterday.
We are prepared, not only for us but for those who aren't. LOL

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I think the only things that I haven’t ever “needed” that we carry are our fire extinguisher and hand gun but I still take both of them.

For the riding we do going "light" isn't a concern.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

Our front bag is made by Kolpin and is insulated.

It keeps things cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter and has two dividers that attach with Velcro which makes 3 adjustable compartments.

It keeps the weather out and is about 8 years old.

The map compartment on top isn't water proof any more but we never used it any way.

I'd buy another one just like it.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

Amen Specta...could not have said it better myself

Old 01-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Red Rider

Maybe those who need to carry the kitchen sink while riding....may just not know a whole lot about "self reliance", and have to have a crutch like a bunch of "stuff" they carry to make them feel secure???? Like I said, in a lifetime of riding light and fast, none of my machines have ever had a breakdown of any kind out on the trail, not even a flat tire...and I put it down to extremely diligent maintenance!!!

Another issue about loading down the front end, is being able to see over the bags. I see guys out on the trail with huge tall front bags, and it has to obstruct their vision. I will agree however, that if you are loaded down with a huge load, like packing an elk out of the bush, you do need to distribute the load evenly between the front and back ends....but that isn't normal riding conditions for the majority of folks out there.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Never say "NEVER" Recon, it will always come back to bite you.

That is the best phrase and my theory too Specta, "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and NOT have it".

You know, on this subject of front weight........ Out this am plowing the 10" of snow we got yesterday and thinking of this thread..........when I have my plow lifted ( and all the weight on the front tires ) it really seems I have better and easier steering than when the plow is down and no weight on the front tires.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by reconranger
Maybe those who need to carry the kitchen sink while riding....may just not know a whole lot about "self reliance", and have to have a crutch like a bunch of "stuff" they carry to make them feel secure????

You are without question the most arrogant member here.

I wish I were as great as you think you are. Can you walk on water too?