Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How to fix a slice in my tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix a slice in my tire?

So I took the ATVs out of hibernation and upon inspection of the tires I noticed a 1/2 inch long slice or gash in one of my tires. The slice goes straight through the first ply. You can actually see the second ply through the slice. The second ply does not seem to be hurt at all but I am nervous now that the second ply is exposed. Just wondering what options I have? I doubt I can plug a 1/2 inch slice, plus it is only the first ply, not like it goes all the way through. I cannot replace the tire as my budget doesn't allow. So my thinking was to fill the slice/gash with some sort of rubber cement or rubber gasket sealer. What are your thoughts? Also these are the stock 2 ply tires that came on my 2009 Rancher 420 4x4.

Thank you.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

I'll say this and then you can use your own judgment. But for safety's sake, the best route is to replace the tire.

Now having said that, my wife owns a 2004 Yamaha Bruin that has a 1 to 2 in slice in the right front tire. It was like that when she bought it in early 05.
The tire would leak down and once went flat on us while riding. To get us out of the woods, a can of fix-a-flat went in and it then just about 4 years ago, I put some Slime in the tire and she has been riding on that tire ever since.
The tires are original to the atv and when she rides, she's not easy on the machine.

The slice is visible on this tire as well.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a radial patch on the inside of my tire and then put a tube in it. so far soo good.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

As stated before, replacing the tire is your best bet. One alternative would be to try and vulcanize the damaged area using rubber bonding chemicals and a hot soldering iron or flat iron. It can be done, but if you've never attempted something like this I'd pass on it. Done properly would be nearly good as new. If not done properly it could cause more damage than is already there.I've watched and assisted my b-inlaw who works with rubber roofing and coating systems repair tires sliced clear through on rear tires and they held up, but I would be concerned about how long before it gives on the trail. All of his tires were low profile for a raptor unlike a utility tire that will give and flex much more.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try checking ebay or your local dealer for a used tire. You might get lucky.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

Good tips guys, actually I did come across a used tire from a guy who just replaced his OEM stock tires hopefully I can get it at a good price. If not I think I may just fill it in as suggested with some rubber compound and as a second layer of safety I will place a patch on the inside of the tire around where the slice is.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:33 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta
I put a radial patch on the inside of my tire and then put a tube in it. so far soo good.

well first- you can plug a 1/2" slice no problem- just use 2 plugs- I've done it a ton of times over the years and never had an issue. especially if it's a slice in the tread and not the side wall.

the next best thing is to just to patch it from the inside or just put a tube in it and be done with it- I just did this 2 days ago with one of my new 589's that took a sidewall slice-

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If they are the stock tires, if you keep an eye out you will find those cheap from people who have upgraded.

Nebraska tire often has blemished tires at a good price. They may have cracks on the outer layer of rubber or other cosmetic problems that don't effect performance or safety.

If you live in an area where you run the thing at higher speeds on roads, safety would be a major concern. Here, most of the places you can ride are trails where the terrain keeps you close to 10 mph, so less of an issue.