Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2002 Honda rancher 350 es problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2002 Honda rancher 350 es problem

I'm new to the forum. I am trying to resurrect a 2002 honda rancher trx 350 es. It had been sitting for about 5 years in a garage filled with gas and someone stole the battery. Replaced the battery just fine. Next, I cleaned out the gas tank and replaced the fuel filter. I also did an oil change. Next, a friend rebuilt the carb. We actually got the bike running, and put a mile or so on it, but it wouldn't go in reverse and we couldn't get the idle right. I pulled the carb and found that my friend had broken the carb, so I installed a new carb.

Now, I have a whole raft of issues that seem to be electrical:
1. At first, when I would turn the key, instead of showing N, the gear indicator only showed 3 dashes. I played around and found that if I unhook the carb heater it displays N. But if I plug in the carb heater, it goes back to three dashes.
2. Both the red reverse and green neutral lights on the display are lit at the same time, and I can't get the reverse light to turn off.
3. The electric shift doesn't work at all. If I push the up and down shifter buttons, nothing happens.

I don't really know where to start, and am confused about why this is happening since we were able to get the bike working for a while. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:27 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I don,t know if there the same but I had a 2000 Honda 450 Foreman E.S.

Once in a while it would not shift at all ,not often but it happened more then once. For some reason I would pull the fuses out of the ATV from under the seat then reinstall them and it re-set something and would shift great again.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Same problem

I have the same exact symptoms after replacing my carb, test ran quad upon carb install to check for correct air mixtures, drove and shifted fine, but it only started after I plugged in the carb heater and putting back on the plastics. Can you please tell me what was wrong and how you corrected it. thanks very much!

Old 11-01-2014, 05:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default WWhat was wrong

After spending weeks going through the bike, I broke down and took it to an ATV dealer. It turned out to be one fuse. If you are having the same problem, I would recommend you get some replacement fuses and check each one.

Ever since the repair, my ATV has been running great!

Good luck!

Old 11-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Wow, I'll try it, hope to hell it works, thanks for the tip and I'll let you know if that was it, thanks again

Originally Posted by Bike pride
After spending weeks going through the bike, I broke down and took it to an ATV dealer. It turned out to be one fuse. If you are having the same problem, I would recommend you get some replacement fuses and check each one.

Ever since the repair, my ATV has been running great!

Good luck!

Old 11-20-2014, 09:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks all for your help. Here was my situation: My reverse light was on and would not go off, even when in neutral, and bike would crank over strong but would not get spark. It thought it was in reverse. So After replacing the reverse switch, and no difference, I decided to double check the fuses, and that's when I found the blown fuse. I thought I had checked all the fuses. It seems when I plugged in the carb bowl heater after rebuilding the carb, I blew the red 10 amp fuse. So I Replaced the fuse, reverse light went out. Then, it started and shifted, all gear lights numbers displayed correct.
BUT, after running high speads, the shifting stopped working, so had to shut off key, turn back on, to reset. After reset, Shifting working again until hitting high speeds, then same thing. Checked my battery under load, got 11.2 amps, so it was not the battery. I Noticed the speed was not registering, so I replaced the speed sensor switch, located on the rear crank case left side. Now, it shifts perfectly in any gear and at any speed. Guys having shifting problems where speed is not displaying correctly, REPLACE your speed sensor! Love my Rancher again and ready for the snow Plowing!! Thanks again for all advice from others particularly Bike Pride who made me recheck my fuses!! Saved me a towing trip to Honda dealer and a lot of $$$$