Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250 Recon won't shift thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 11:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250 Recon won't shift thoughts?

Hey everyone,

My 04 recon won't shift. This machine sat for a year or more because it wouldn't idle. I took the carb apart, cleaned everything and now it runs great. I thought great, the grand kids are coming for Christmas and they could have some fun... until I tried to shift and got nothing. Had a number 7 code. Took connections off the ECM and sprayed contract cleaner and put dielectric grease on everything. Started it back up and no more code but still won't shift out of neutral. I tried the manual over ride but it didn't want to move and I didn't know how much force to use. I've read a lot about the angle sensor but don't know how to check it. Would this keep it from shifting with the over fide manual shift? Sorry for all the questions, haven't worked on ATV's much. Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 12-28-2020, 03:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 305 Likes on 299 Posts

"I've read a lot about the angle sensor but don't know how to check it. Would this keep it from shifting with the over fide manual shift?"

No, if it won't change manually, the problem must be mechanical. Remembering either engine or bike needs to be moving for a clean gearchange and it does take more force to shift an ES model than a manual shift bike, as you are dragging the shift motor round through a reduction gearbox as well. Take the shift motor off and see if it still won't change manually. If it does, check the shift motor is not seized. If it still won't change manually, check the shift motor gears, if they are OK take the clutch cover off, I do this by standing the bike on it's backside and removing the front wheels. Faults can be the pawl that turns the star wheel, the star wheel come loose, or the short splined lever that moves the pawl, broken or cracked.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
"I've read a lot about the angle sensor but don't know how to check it. Would this keep it from shifting with the over fide manual shift?"

No, if it won't change manually, the problem must be mechanical. Remembering either engine or bike needs to be moving for a clean gearchange and it does take more force to shift an ES model than a manual shift bike, as you are dragging the shift motor round through a reduction gearbox as well. Take the shift motor off and see if it still won't change manually. If it does, check the shift motor is not seized. If it still won't change manually, check the shift motor gears, if they are OK take the clutch cover off, I do this by standing the bike on it's backside and removing the front wheels. Faults can be the pawl that turns the star wheel, the star wheel come loose, or the short splined lever that moves the pawl, broken or cracked.
Thanks so much for responding. I assumed as much as I had read another post you had made. What seems so strange to me is that last time I rode it, over a year ago, it shifted fine. Seems strange that something mechanical would go bad just sitting there. I will do as you said today and see if I can determine what the problem is.

Old 12-29-2020, 03:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 305 Likes on 299 Posts

That is why I suggested it could be a seized shift motor, water can get in, and rust the motor's insides over a lay-up. Or the glue holding the magnets deteriorates, then a magnet drops off onto the armature and locks the shift motor.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK, got it to shift manually. Shifting motor turns OK when 12 volts applied to it. Cleaned all electrical connections and applied di-electric grease to all connections. Now getting an angle sensor code. Will replace and see if that takes care of it.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

After getting the angle sensor error, I went ahead and cleaned the connector again and I loaded it up with di-electric grease. Much to my surprise, error message was gone and it shifted! Thanks again Merryman for your input. I really appreciated the fact that you took time to help me.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:46 AM
Trailblazer

Unit has had an issue staying in first. Arrangement has been to stop motor, turn on start switch and afterward change to unbiased. Recently unit quit moving up or down through ES, stuck in gear. Not certain which gear as I don't have a clue how to begin the unit if not in unbiased. Child was driving and said it was in first when it got stuck. Utilized manual move bar and unit won't move. Taken a stab at shaking unit without progress. Manual move bar has no influence downshifting (counterclockwise), however permits the unit to move forward while pushing the bar aft (clockwise). Like it is in unbiased, however the nonpartisan light doesn't come on. In the event that the start switch is on while pushing the bar aft, the main stuff light blazes multiple times and proceeds with the 8 glimmers until the start switch is turned off then back on. From different posts this doesn't seem, by all accounts, to be a point sensor issue, however I simply don't have a clue. Any thoughts? Would i be able to begin the unit if not in nonpartisan? Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox