Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Recon Idling...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2001 | 01:52 AM
|
Range Rover

Hogmaster,
When you did the first tune-up on your Recon, what all did you do and how old was your machine when you did it? Just wondering.
Thanks.

Old 05-22-2001 | 06:27 AM
Pro Rider

From the Honda owner's manual, "Honda Motor Co., Ltd. utilizes lean carburetor settings and other systems to reduce carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons."

I purchased a recon (for wife) and a 400ex last year. Both machines had a hard time idling when cold. The reason, as stated above, is that honda sets their carbs quite lean. The solution is not only simple and easy, but it's also exactly what a competent mechanic would do.

(forward: sorry, my memory is foggy as to where exactly the air/fuel mixture screw is on the recon's carb, but I think I remember.)

On the carburetor, looking at it from the left side (by the fuel shut-off valve), you will see a slotted screw on the left side of the carb that adjusts the idle. Do not adjust this, it will only increase or decrease the machine's idle setting.

What you want is the air/fuel mixture screw. This screw adjusts the ratio of air to fuel in the idle circuit. Don't worry, it will not affect any other carb circuits, like midrange and top end - it only affects the idle mixture. If my memory serves me correctly, it's under and to the front of the carb's float bowl (i.e., on the bottom of the carb, right where it attaches to the engine). Also, if I remember, its a sunken screw; that is, you probably won't see it, but just stick a short, thin, slotted screwdriver up it. I use one of those old bank promotional screwdrivers - remember, the ones that have a magnet and a pocket clip on the other end?

Once you have the screwdriver up there and in the slot, go ahead and turn it in all the way (remember to visualize how to turn it in upside down, it feels opposite). Count the turns (best to count in 1/2 turns), you won't have to turn it too far (2-3 half turns). The only reason to do this is so you know exactly how the screw was set originally. Now, turn it out to the original position, then turn it out an additional half a turn (180 degrees). DONE!

Start it up... notice how you don't need to hold the throttle? Nice, isn't it?

All you've done is richen your idle circuit - a bit more fuel per part air. If you don't see an improvement, turn out 1/4 - 1/2 turn more.

A side note: If you had to turn it out more than 4 complete turns from the seated position, then you will need to increase your pilot jet one size. Don't worry, however, this really only occurs when modifications are made to the exhaust and air filter setup.

ogre

Old 05-27-2001 | 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

Update: Yesterday, while I was waiting for the 250ex to warm-up (spiting and stalling frequently), I grabed a little screwdriver and adjusted the air/fuel mixture. It is located where I described, under the carb, at the front of the float bowl.

As I turned it 1/2 turn out, I could hear the engine almost thank me as its idling changed from rough and unsteady to smooth and regular. Now I can push the start button when the engine's cold and walk a way. No more babysitting!

Also, ingore what I said earlier about the mixture screw being sunk in, it sticks out about 1/4 inch.

ogre

Old 05-27-2001 | 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

What the hell is everybody talking about here. The Recon won't idle when cold?? I just start out the key in, press the button, wait about five seconds, (much less 5 minutes) and I'm gone in a cloud of dust. Well, I guess part of it is where I live. I live in Arizona and out here in the summer the coldest weather I start it up in is about 75 degrees. Although that is in the morning, I usually run it in about 105 degrees.
In the winter the coldest I ran it in was about 45 degrees in the snow (in Arizona! My first time in snow!) and then I had to let her warm up for about 5 minutes.

RRR

Old 05-27-2001 | 10:22 PM
Trailblazer

Excellent point RedReconRider. Once the weather hits around 65-70 here in Virginia, I have no problem starting my Recon and it idles fairly quickly.

Old 05-27-2001 | 10:50 PM
|
Range Rover

Unfortunately, not everyone has the luxury of riding of not riding in temperature which is always above 70 degrees! The temp here often hovers below 50 for 6 months a year. Deer season maybe single numbers or twentys so a rough starting atv is no fun-trust me. The strange thing is my 400cc Kodiak fires right up first try but my 250cc Recon takes some time. You'd think the larger motor would be harder to start, right? They both run great once they're going, though.