Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How are the Rubi's in fender high water?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 01:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the Rubi in high water? (And I mean HIGH water)? I love my Arctic Cat, but between little mechanical pains in the $ss and worrying about the belt getting wet, I'm considering a quad that isn't quite as skiddish in the H2O. I ride mostly in any mud/water I can find so I think the auto tranny would be a definite plus. Only concern about the Rubi is getting the electronics wet and not being able to shift.

Anyone notice a better 4x4 action in their Rubi's compared to other honda's?

Old 06-11-2001, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

My Ruby is great in water (obviously not deeper then headlights or bottom edge of the seat). I've had a Honda 300 2x4, 450ES and now we have 2 Rubicons. It was impressive how much better traction the Rubicon got over the 450. We ride on a farm in central Ohio that has a silt bottom creek. With a 450, we couldn't ride in water much over the center of the tire without spinning out in the sand/silt. The Rubicon works so much differently with the auto trainy (hydrostat). Most quads you have to power your way out of a problem situation, mud, water, hills, u name it. With the Rubicon, your much better to slowly give the quad throttle to build up pressure and as the pressure builds, the tires begin to turn. The quad ends up working like a tractor and eazes it's way out of the hole. I've learned that doing that is much better then laying heavy on the throttle as that just gets the wheels spinning too fast and makes you sink that much faster. Oh, and these quads have been stock. In another post, I read a thread about the Rubicon bogging down and not even able to spin the tire. That is true, but I bet if he would have given it more throttle the wheels would have started turning and moved the thing right out of the hole. The only disappointment with high water is that the headlight lenses are not sealed and the do collect condensation. The manual suggests turning the headlights on high beam to dry them out. Oh.. and the manual suggests not to run the quad in over 9 inches of water, but I guess that's just to save their behind.

Old 06-11-2001, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

Have you seen my pics? I have mine in water over the racks all the time. And the guy "Jerry" in my pictures does too. I suggest you look at them.

I sealed my headlights with Plumbers Goop and they are fine.

Old 06-11-2001, 04:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know you get your Ruby that deep TEXMud. I guess I should have stated (stock) or (without a snorkel). hahahaha. I've been checking your site out for months and have enjoyed it. That's great there are people like you that take the time to get all those fine pics. And also take the time to help others by documenting service tips, etc.
I've had mine deep enough one time that I've got water in the oil and boy, was that an expensive ride... I changed the oil and filter 3 times to get it cleared up. I was in up to the edge of the rack all the way around.

I need to seal my headlights too, thanks for the tip.

Old 06-11-2001, 04:27 PM
Trailblazer

Tex your quad has definitly been in some deep stuff, Oh yea, this is Matt-Sibley from the highlifter forums I don't come here often but I decided to today because no one is on highlifter.

Old 06-11-2001, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

With a stock Rubicon I would not go over the tires. The coolant overflow breather is under the rear fender. MOST people forget all about this, but you do NOT want dirt or sand in your coolant system. The other breathers are under the handlebars and plug into the frame. If you do not plan a snorkel, at least move the breathers.

Old 06-12-2001, 02:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]YankeeAutoKat.....I've been in some deep water with my Rubi and the only trouble i've had was the upper vents on the carb taking on water. I have since moved them higher and have not had a problem ....I told you I visit these forums from time to time, is this a test? If your interested in a Rubi take mine for a ride the next time we ride together.....LOL You will be impressed...

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2001, 10:26 AM
Trailblazer

Well if it isn't Mr Barryring himself!

You found me out! A closet Honda fan with an Arctic Cat [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Not really, I do like my AC, but it is annoying me with the little problems you've seen. I'd like to take yours for a spin to check it out. Don't know how much it will help me in estimating the ride of a Rubi though since yours has so many accessories loaded on it that I can't tell which end is the front [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] All the models have their problems I guess. I'm dying to check out the new Yamaha. I think they are putting the '02 models on their site today. Well, see ya around buddy.