Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Cops and atv's dont mix

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would they rather have us doing drug's and getting in trouble or riding ATV's?

Old 01-03-2002, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

LOL, I'm not sure what they would rather have the "younger" crowd doing. I on the other hand being a Professional Firefighter-Paramedic would rater have the younger crowd riding the ATV's. I'm sure the cops would rather have me not riding my ATV but just staying home and stop raising so much hell on my DS.

Old 01-03-2002, 02:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I live in a rural area, so there are usually places to ride without bothing people. Every once in a while, we run upon people parking...but that is about it. We ran upon a cop once (state trooper)....he wanted to make sure that we weren't riding down the highway. In Arkansas, (the way the law states)we can cross the highway if we are getting from one area of hunting land or farm to another area of hunting land or farm. Generally they are pretty cool. They were also check to see if we were drinking (which we were...yes I know it is bad to mix ATV's and alcohol)...He didn't catch anybody with it in there hand, so he didn't give anyone a ticket.....Another time some of my friends did get caught down a timber road drinking on their ATV's. They were all of legal age. The cop made one guy take a breathlyzer, but he blew real hard into it and reset the machine...so it didn't register (they say it works, fortunately I have to ever had to try it)..There are good cops and bad cops............

Old 01-03-2002, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

I was riding my dirtbike down the road about 500' to get to a trail and a rookie cop stoped me and gave me two tickets. One for not having a motorcycle lisence and one for not having it regeristered. I have seen many cops on that same road and they have not gave me any trouble. I even drove over to a sitting cop and asked him if it was ok to just ride down the rode to get to a trail and he said he did'nt see anything. When i was stoped by the rookie cop I was also in first gear doing about 5mph down the sholder of the road with all of my gear on and following all traffic laws. He said i was lucky because he could have gave me a big stack of tickets if he was in the mood. I went to see the judge and the tickets were droped!
HAHA buddy!

Old 01-03-2002, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

Where I live it is nearly all dirt roads and i love to go up and down them on my 250EX. We were getting chased by a cop once and hit about 51 which is about top speed on a stock 250EX. We went for about a mile
til we got to a gap between to property's we went back there for about a hundred feet. Then stopped and killed our engines and waited.
We sat there for about half an hour then rode out with no sign of the cops. If your ATV is fast enough and you have trails and know the way around your neighborhood easily RRRRRRUUUUUUNNNNN LIKE A MOTHER@#%!*&

icav

Old 01-03-2002, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

Stupid laws make lawbreakers, it's just that simple, no amount of enforcement/coersion/extortion will stop lawbreakers of a stupid law. AND law enforecment is stupid for trying.

Old 01-04-2002, 12:09 AM
Range Rover

Cops and ATV's don't mix, thats a fact. Why do they even bother? I can see why they pull someone over for acting completely like an idiot when they get close to the road, but if a person is minding his/her own business riding the edge of the road, whats the use? Esp. around here. 99% of the people around here are not going to stop. I know I'm not. I've been chased way to many times to stop now. All it takes is a little farm road and they are screwed. As far as game wardens...yea there are a couple around here and are totin' around 4x4 ATVs in the back. Now for one, a 4x4 has no chance keeping up with any sort of sport ATV. Well maybe a Honda 90 or the new mini-Raptor. The game wardens have chased me quite a few times, but considering I ride these trails almost everyday, I can get away easily. They sure put up a fight, but one guy put up way to much of one. I was going up a steep hill and I look behind me and see him rolling down the previous hill! I actually felt bad but it was his fault. So I kept on going. But a word of advise for cops, don't chase me, its not worth it. Not to be rude to the cop postin' in here...but you can bring it on down here. I'll even give you a 30 second head start, and a doughnut!

Old 01-04-2002, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Looks to me that cops would have better things to do than try and run down ATVer's just so they can give them a ticket!! Somebody could be holding somebody hostage while this idiot police was chasing this guy on a 4-wheeler. Now which do you think is more important??? I think cops should only respond to a call that has to do with atv's only if they are tearing up their yard or doing something like that. If I was a cop and somebody called me saying "OMG, this guy that lives next door to me is cranking up his 4-wheeler and its getting on my nerves" I would say that they are stupid and should mind their own business. I say its fine as long as your not doing anything to them. If I had any problem with my neighbors and their quads, I would deal with it myself and leave the police out of it. I would nicely go out and say please stop. Which I wouldn't do that b/c I would be right out there with them on mine. But im saying if I didnt have one. There is a Sheriff that lives up the road from me, I dont think he has seen me on side of the road before, but I dont think he would say anything if he did. There was this one time I was kinda in the road and one came up beside of me and slowed down and rolled down his window and told me too keep it out of the road, so I said ok, and he went on and I just kept riding on the side of the road when he pulled off. By what he said, as long as I was on "side" of the road and not bothering anybody or tearing up any property, that it was fine. So its all good around here! They are hardly no houses on my road one way you go, and the houses that are they are nice and they dont say anything about it, as a matter of fact, they have quads too and they ride up and down the road all the time. And 2, I actually called the Highway Patrol station one time and asked them if it was ok to ride on side of the road, (b/c the way it used to be, we had to go down the road like a half a mile to get to the gate in the pasture so we could ride, but now we have a gate right beside of my house), and they said it was fine only if our neighbors didn't mind and they had no complaints and if we were not in the road. So around here it all depends on your neighbors to weather or not you can ride on the side of the road or not...

Old 01-04-2002, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

Somepeople, Cops are stupid cops should have bette things to do so on so on. Maybe your right maybe things to do next time your ATV gets stolen maybe somebodys car stolen to well go handle that instead hey a car is worth more than a ATV.

Or maybe while riding on the road you get hit by a car and get hurt but the car drives off, well i would go help you but somebody might hostage at the time so I got to wait for that.

Or next time your neighbors are playing the music way to loud i will just tell you to mind your own business.

We answer all calls and to be honest with you, you are BREAKING THE LAW like it or not, if you want to break the law fine deal with the punshiment that comes with it. If you run from the cops all the time i hope that when you get caught (one day you will) they dont just right you a ticket but since its been such a prob in the past and the cop rembers what kind of bike ran from him last time and this is the same impound time.

Not all cops know about ATV i can tell what type bike you are riding when you hit a trail full speed and all i can see is the back of you.

ALL CALL'S are important and yes we can pick and choose what to do on the call but we must answer the call thats why called to help them no matter what it is including riding ATV on the road.

Why dont you as a ATV rider become a little more responsbile and A. find a legal ridding spot, B. talk to your neighbors and see if they mind you riding down the side of the road to the trails, think about theme they may works nights and are trying to sleep during the daytime.

But if you keep giving ATV riders a bad name and wonder why we cant ride anywhere then dont grip about it when it happens.

Old 01-04-2002, 04:12 PM
Banned

yamtt125,

Your right, there is no legal places to ride around here. Did you read the article in the New Haven Register a few weeks back? That was my best friend on the cover, there are area woods near my friends house where the reporter took pictures of him. I was there with him. It was on Thanksgiving day, last year. The whole purpose of the story is, that there is places to ride and that Connecticut should open up legal places.

IronBear

Quick Reply: Cops and atv's dont mix