Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher 350's are HOT!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2000, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also keep in mind that our Sportsman has a plow mount on, so it loses like an inch or so of ground clearance.

Old 02-24-2000, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant explain why YOUR Foreman will spin both front tires,but I've seen a few of them.Not one would spin more than one front tire for much more than a second or so,unlike the Sportsman,which provides wheel spin to both front tires.I have really only had the Sportsman in about 14 inches of the real wet snow you refer to.I have a plow mount also.I had no problems.It was at Tip-Up Town [ice fishing festival on the ice] here in Michigan.My brother did have a few problems with his stock KQ though.It just sat to low to the ground and his stock tires were just not enough.Quite a few times I would have to bump his KQ from behind with my bumper to get him going again,and I had another 200lb passenger riding with me.So if weight is such a down fall for the wet snow you are refering to,I simple dont know why my quad had no problems with it.Maybe it's the Mud Runners?Now that im thinking about it,I stopped and BS with four other guys who were all riding stock Sportsmans.I never did inquire if they were having any problems getting stuck though.This brings me to another question?What about snow plowing?I'd be willing to wager a small bet that there is not a better snow remover than the Sportsman either.My driveway is about 100ft long.I've never had any problems pushing 12 inches of snow.I have'nt had a chance to push more yet,Lower Michigan just dont get the snow they used to.This is one awesume snow removal quad.=====BILL

Old 02-24-2000, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

Both front wheels do turn with power when the traction is equal to both front tires on a limited slip diff. The problem comes when one tire gos air born, but not with the Rancher. With the Rancher the tire on the ground will always pull, and when they are both on the ground they will both pull. Given the fact that the AP setup turns so easily and keeps power to the wheel(s)with traction, I can see no advantage of the Polaris system, in fact I'll take the Honda system with its light steering any day.

Old 02-24-2000, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

there isn't a question in my mind that the rancher outperforms the sp500 in deep snow. I know, I own both and I've got a huge hill in my side yard that is a perfect testing ground. Both machines are completely stock. Now mud is a different matter, haven't compared the rancher in mud but judging from what I've seen from the foremans the polaris will be superior here. But Bill to answer a few of your comments, the auto is a huge disadvantage in the deep snow, can't keep the R's up. And secondly there is no way the weight of the sp500 plays to it's advantage. Sorry to disappoint you but these are just my findings, perhaps better tires on the sp500 would make all the difference in the world, not sure.

Old 02-24-2000, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

Rancheres,not to argue with you,but if weight plays NO advantage to the snowing ability on the Sportsman,than why do some 2x4 and 4x4 PU trucks have weight added to their beds?[ I really expect to hear from Tree Farmer on this one]For more traction.Because the *** ends are so light that they simply dont dig down.To light of a 4x4 Truck will just ride the top of the snow,spinning helplessly.Same principle on a quad.I've even seen some quads with plows add weights to it.It simple goes thru more snow.I will be the first to admit this,I wish the Sportsman were 100lbs lighter.It does get difficult to pick up the rear end if you were to get into a jam on the trails.If your having difficulty keeping the RPMs up on the Sportsman,use low gear.If you allready are in low,than perhaps something is wrong with the clutch/belt set up.I mean to tell you, I have NO problems with RPMs on my Sportsman.Bob,hardly ever will traction be the same on a 4x4 quad in snow/muddy conditions.So your equal traction on both front wheels is usually non-existant in those situations.Thats why im not a fan of limited slips.I've just seen to MANY fail.Now I cant personally wait to see the new Differentials on the Rancher and Rubicon perform.I just have not seen the Rancher yet at my local riding area.I know the Rubicon is not out yet.It sure sounds to me like Honda has a great set up on the new Diff from all the readings in the books.And you Rancher rider's in here really seem to like it alot to.Im not shy when it comes to asking questions at my local riding area.When I see someone on a new quad,I will BS for a few minutes,than ask for a test ride.Ain't been turned down yet.'''SOMEBODY''',get over here with a Rancher,GOOD DAY TO ALL,===BILL

Old 02-24-2000, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

weight to a certain point is a good thing, in the truck example you put weight in the bed because there is hardly any weight there to begin with. On a quad, you've got the rider positioned toward the rear axle and the motor is position toward the middle of the machine, much more equal weight distribution than a truck. Perhaps the auto is the biggest negative in the snow, all I can tell you is that the rancher will perform better in the deeper snow.

Old 02-24-2000, 04:11 PM
Range Rover

I went riding in a foot to a foot and a half of snow on the weekend on a 2000 Sportsman 500. I went with 3 450es, one with a front locker. We had a BLAST! We all took turns breaking trail and no one had any problems. They got stuck on one snow covered hill, but just went around. We clocked 60 Km or so. grat day over all. The limited slip will switch power back and forth between the front wheels of the 450ES as it finds and loses traction. Sometimes this happens so fast it seems as though the both are pulling! Can't wait to see the Rancher in action!

Glenn.

Old 02-24-2000, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer

yeah well i need to know what year yours is but i what to know how your brakes are wearing on your honda ha! ha! ha! ha! ha!

Old 02-24-2000, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, the reason for the added weight in pickups is simple, they have no traction in the back! There are 2 very different circumstances we're talking about here. When the roads are icy, a lot of pickup drivers will add weight to the back box. This gives the tires more downforce on the ice, therefore increasing traction. This also works in going through snow with a pickup truck. Since there's no way a pickup truck is gonna float on top of the snow, cause of the weight and the narrow tires, it is better to increase the traction by adding weight to it. Cause this will help them get traction on the ground, not on top of the snow. That is why ground clearance matters a lot with a pickup. For ATV's, sometimes you want added weight and sometimes you don't. When we plow the driveway with our Sportsman, it helps to add weight to it, like a sandbag strapped to the back rack. Cause when you're plowing, you're removing the snow out in front of the tires so you don't have to worry about getting hung up. The added weight helps a lot. Now lift the plow and go through snow, you'll find you'll get hung up quicker, and it will also be that much harder to get out cause of the extra weight. So I guess it depends on the snow. The snow we were going through, you needed to float on top of it to do good. In a fluffy snow, it could be better to have extra weight if your tires are getting their traction from the ground.

gwizardzachatv, about the wear, or lack of, my Honda 300EX's brakes aren't wearing much at all.

Old 02-24-2000, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

Rooster,damn good answer you give me.I guess I never concidered the fact that when we are using our plows on our quads,we've allready pushed the snow in front of us.You make a really good point.Thanks,,====BILL