Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

The Tragedy Of The First ATVs, Three Wheelers

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002 | 11:05 AM
RIP Dear Friend
Default The Tragedy Of The First ATVs, Three Wheelers

TomBatts,

Got to read it.

Near me and I didn't stop to look at it was what appeared to be a three wheeler like yours (350) but with more white plastic all over it and not the look of yours with the blue and red.

I finally come into the quad world in the 90's because of the need for them on the property.

I will have to admit I didn't like the 3 wheelers when they started appearing in the mid 70's in the woods. I kept them out of my life and didn't participate in the 3 wheel period. Before they arrived there were nice single wide dirtbike trails and then when they arrived in the woods they began to change because of the wider trails and the erosion was much worse. So what was happening to the dirt bike crowd was you were always trying to pick which groove you were going to go down.

Even today there is dirt bike trails and there is quad trails.

Chet

Old 10-18-2002 | 11:59 AM
Trailblazer

Here is a link to one of the biggest ATV accident ambulance chasers!

http://www.bennettlawfirm.com/atv.htm

Old 10-18-2002 | 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Malochala...yeah we probably would never see eye to eye on the stability issue...and as you say, there is nothing wrong with that....i believe we discussed it without bashing each other..that's the way it should be.....i just want to reassure you that i don't miss the point of this thread and as far as your arguments about regulations, i am 100% in agreement with you....and i don't think people realize how much this kind of thing affects us and how much support is needed.....i live in newfoundland canada, and we are not allowed to hunt on sundays....our province has more hunters per capita than any other province in canada...a hunter took it upon himself a few years back to challenge this law.....he issued petitions and organized meetings with other hunters.....and guess what....we sat on our haunches and waited for him to do it all by himself....he didn't get the needed support....so now we still aren't allowed to hunt on sundays...so guys, when you think that our hunting or riding rights are being violated, make sure you don't just sit back and let government ram their regulations down your throat...stand up and show your support.

Old 10-18-2002 | 05:11 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: GreatCanadian
i live in newfoundland canada, and we are not allowed to hunt on sundays
That reminds me of the law we have here where you can't buy beer and wine on sunday.

Chet

Old 10-18-2002 | 10:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I think the old 3-wheelers were awesome. As a young boy, I owned an old Tecate-3 once upon a time. My last ride (after a homebrew port job in the late '80's) wound up being 3 wrecks in a 5 minute interval (ENDOS). My T-3 was sold shortly afterwards......at my dislike.
Were they safe? As safe as the riders!

Old 10-19-2002 | 01:31 AM
The Facility

Rather than try explaining it, I will post what was on the website that was mentioned above.

This is pretty much what the Consent Decree was based on and the following are the "rules".

The Consent Decree DID ban the three wheelers, but the extremist groups who pushed for it were out to ban ATV's period. My OPINION is that the OEMs willfully gave up the three wheelers to meet them "half way" and that will always be my thinking.

Send notices to all known past ATV purchasers informing them of the risk of severe injuries and death associated with ATV's.

Immediately halt sale of all three-wheeled ATV's.

Affix extensive warning labels to all ATV's and mail a safety alert to all prior purchasers detailing deaths and injuries associated with ATV use.

Provide free "hands-on" training to all future purchasers and all past purchasers within the last 12 months.

Agree to establish advertising guidelines.

Agree not to oppose state legislation for licensing and certification of ATV operators.

Undertake a public awareness campaign including print, radio, and television commercials describing the potential hazards and risks associated with ATV's and minimum age guidelines for various models.

A final decree was signed and approved on April 27, 1988 that included most of the preliminary decree provisions but failed to include a voluntary refund program for ATV owners as the CPSC requested.

Old 10-21-2002 | 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

Motorcycles are much less stable than either atcs or atvs, and the CPSC isn't after them. It is worth noting that every skill, position and manuever in the current curriculum of the ATV Safety Institute's RiderCourse originated as an adaptation for safe riding of 3 wheelers, now applied to 4 wheelers. You can do most maneuvers faster on an atc than an atv, if you know how to crawl all over it while riding. The worst places for 3 wheelers are snow, mud, 2 track trails and 2 separate loading ramps going into a truck or trailer. Lots of riders prefer 3 wheelers for fun on packed or sandy surfaces. Its all good!

Old 10-31-2002 | 01:39 PM
Trailblazer

You guys can call me crazy (Its OK, I already know I am) But I've always been around, and grew up on trikes. 3 years ago this November I bought my first quad, a TRX250R. Its nice, and I liked it until I got a few more old high performance threewheelers. When my Tri-Z ran I didn't touch the R. The Z was just a so much funer machine to me I didn't even bother with the TRX. Considering that the TRX250R isn't too argeuably the best quad ever designed and built, it doesn't impress me that much. And no, my 250R isn't a ragged out hunk of junk either. I bought it from the orignal owner and it had under 30 hours on it when I bought it. Completely 100% stock other then a Uni airfilter because the original rotted out while it was in storage.

I get on any quad (Not so much on my 250R, but it does) and I feel like I'm riding a rock. I've been around trikes so long, and I'm so use to their maneuverbility that anything else just feels like nothing. Even when I bought the 250R, I told everyone that I believed that it would be a step backwards for me. And it was to a certain extent. I just like trikes, and I'm pretty confident that I would be racing them right now if they were allowed. But since their not, I'm making a move into the Motocross scene and hopefully plan on picking up a CRF450 sometime next year after I sell the R. My .02 for what its worth.