Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

utility vs. sport bike: which to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default utility vs. sport bike: which to buy?

Hi, I'm a 16 year old newcomer to four-wheelers and trying to decide which should be my first quad to buy.

BTW, I've posted before about how I have a blood condition so I don't clot as easily (though I'm not a hemophiliac). I think the only consequence of that is that I have to wear a bit more gear and not do any jumps or something.

Anyway, I want to buy a Honda. I am debating between utility (probably a rancher) or a sport quad (probably a 300 EX). For a while, I was leaning more towards the 300 EX but now I'm wondering whether I'd have much to do with it. I probably won't be able to do anything too crazy in it and I'm not going to be racing people. I just don't know if it would hold my attention for long with my ~7 acre yard (and, every now and then, I could go to my friend's farm). The rancher might be more fun since I could put it in the mud a lot more (or that's what I've heard anyway). On the other hand, I don't just want a bike made for driving around a farm and fixing fences. So, considering these circumstances, what would probably the best bike for me?

Thanks,

Sean

Old 02-18-2003, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

All depends on the type of riding your planning on doing. What terrain will you ride on? Whats the weather mostly? What type of riding style do you like? etc etc...They are both great quads but on the total opposite of the sprectrum.

Old 02-18-2003, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer

The ranchers can be a lotta fun. Light and easy to ride, good trail bike. If you're thinking about ripp'in a bit the 4x4 makes it tough, but do-able. If you don't have lots of time riding you might consider buying a cheaper bike first till you get the hang of it and know what you want to ride. You might start off seeing whats around, but the 4x4's usually run a bit more $$$.

So with you blood condition, if you get cut bad on the trail can you handle the first aid or are you gonna be a code 1?

Old 02-18-2003, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok, i had a feeling that i didn't really clarify well. Um...I live in Louisiana near a pond. I have a few trails and muddy spots but most of my yard is just cut grass. I want to just ride but not to enjoy the view or something. I want to have fun. But, I have this image of sport quads as being for hardcore people who do crazy stuff. At the same time, I have an image of utility quads as just bikes to get you from point A to point B with fun not being any issue. Is there middle ground somewhere? I know I'm not right about these assumptions but those are the only two views of four-wheelers that I get. My friend has a 400 EX and his dad has a Foreman. I'm also so new to fourwheelers that I really don't what I can do with either type of bike. I'm especially in the dark about sport quads. The only thing that I ever did on the 400 EX was a wheelie which I like to do. I just want to know what else I can do beside a wheelie on it.

Sean.

Old 02-18-2003, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Maui: I have a low platelet count.(oddly enough the condition is called ITP but I can't say that or somebody will start talking about the tires) I don't need to worry about paper cuts or anything like that. It's only when I'm in a "crisis situation" that I'm noticably worse off than other people I guess. Anyway, I'll probably be around my house or with somebody when I ride.

Old 02-18-2003, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: seanbordelon
ok, i had a feeling that i didn't really clarify well. Um...I live in Louisiana near a pond. I have a few trails and muddy spots but most of my yard is just cut grass. I want to just ride but not to enjoy the view or something. I want to have fun. But, I have this image of sport quads as being for hardcore people who do crazy stuff. At the same time, I have an image of utility quads as just bikes to get you from point A to point B with fun not being any issue. Is there middle ground somewhere? I know I'm not right about these assumptions but those are the only two views of four-wheelers that I get. My friend has a 400 EX and his dad has a Foreman. I'm also so new to fourwheelers that I really don't what I can do with either type of bike. I'm especially in the dark about sport quads. The only thing that I ever did on the 400 EX was a wheelie which I like to do. I just want to know what else I can do beside a wheelie on it.

Sean.
u can do alot on them u may think of a sport quad that u have to go all crazy on and u dont the 400ex is a good sport quad that can be raced or u can just cruse around u dont have to have it pinned all the time u dont have to have it pinned at all u can go threw mud but i dont no how much ur gonna be able to go threw the yamaha wolverin might be a good one for u its sporty but has 4 wheel drive

Old 02-18-2003, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer

I have both, but I had my Grizzly first. I live in the northwest where the trails are steep and rocky a lot of 4x4 country but I will say this I have way more fun on my sport quads, and they hang pretty well with the big 4x4's in the mountains, they just take a little more finessing in the tough spots. Get them out on in the open, and it usually means break time waiting for my buddies to catch up on their 4x's. But like everyone else has said its just a matter of what kindof riding you want to do the most.

Old 02-18-2003, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

You might want to check out an older kawasaki lakota (1996-2001) model, the bike is 300cc and does both of what you are kind of looking for. It is and auto clutch and comes with racks, but it also has decent suspension and handling if you want to do some sport riding. I guess you could say its 50% sport and 50% utility quad. I have a 1998 model that I have modded and it can keep up with the 300ex, but will also go most places that the 4x4s can go (up to a certain point of course). I always wanted both a sport quad and a 4x4, so recently I just purchased a 2003 Raptor and will soon sell the Lakota so that I can get the 4x4 (thinking either Praire or Eiger). You might want to look at the rancher 350es, I have heard that they are good quads and have a "sporty" feel to them. Just my $.02