Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

ATV Used as Shooting Bench

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Used as Shooting Bench

I am thinking of building a bench on the front rack of my 04 Rancher ES. I have already built my own portable shooting bench that I throw in the back of the truck, and I could strap it to the back of my atv but it would be cumbersome. I was thinking of using 3/4" plywood covered with a piece of carpet. I would then attatch velcro straps on the bottom and attatch that to the front rack. That way when I get to a good varmint shooting spot, I just park, put my bag and rifle on the front bench and go to town. Has anybody elsy done something like this? This would take the least amount of space/weight and I think it would be very functional. What do you guys think or what are you guys using?

Chris

Old 06-09-2004, 09:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Sounds like it would be handy and easy to do. Couple of questions about this idea come to mind. First, is it legal where you are? I know in Washington State a Game Warden once told me it is illegal to use a tractor as a rest when shooting. He did not give me a ticket but was just letting me know what the law said. Next, I would wonder if the suspension on the quad would make a solid enough rest for really accurate long range shooting. I know my portable bench, even as solid as it is, is not nearly as solid as the benches on our range.

Old 06-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know if it's legal. I sent an e-mail to DFG we will see. As far as the stability, I think it would be pretty good. Not as sturdy as a regular bench, but I'm not shooting for 5 shot groups. I think I am just going to drag my portable bench around with me for now. I just ordered a Plano Airglide case for my ATV. Once I get it, I'm going shooting. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

I've been doing that for a couple of years, with a sandbag rest and a piece of wood to sit on. My target range is about a mile back on my farm, across a couple of steep hills, so it's nice not to have to lug a 14 pound target rifle back there.

Don't know the implications for hunting, but I'm mostly into smallbore target shooting, and it works great for that.

Old 06-11-2004, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tencubed
First, is it legal where you are? I know in Washington State a Game Warden once told me it is illegal to use a tractor as a rest when shooting. He did not give me a ticket but was just letting me know what the law said.
Not legal for hunting or not legal for shooting? I'll shoot from a tractor standing on my head with no pants on if it is private property and tell the game warden to get bent while I do it.

Most game wardens and DNR guys I know are great but every once in a while you come across someone who is an idiot. You know the type that wants to bust people for violating some minor technicality in the law. I knew of a guy who had one cite his son for making a minor error when filling out his deer tag. The kid had to go to court and everything. Kid doesn't hunt now for fear of getting busted and messing up his future. Thanks a lot Mr. By The Book. One more kid who won't be a future hunter.

There is a big difference between enforcing game laws and stopping wholesale poaching. When regulations get so complicated that a person can get in trouble for doing nothing ethically wrong there is a serious problem. Cite the guy for riding with a gun on his ATV with rounds in the mag because it is so much easier than finding the guys out spotlighting deer and shooting stuff out of season. I won't get into a deeper civics discussion here but there is a big difference between enforcement and harassment. Game wardens and law enforcement in general should know the difference.

Old 06-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Cpt. Q

What the Officer told me was it was unlawful to shoot from any motorized vehicle and that included tractors and such. Using it as a rest falls into that catagory. He could have given me a ticket even tho it was my tractor on my land. He did not do this and was just letting me know what the law said so I would be informed.

As to complaining about being harrased about having shells in a magazine that is in the gun while traveling, well don't look to me for sympethy. I don't believe in road hunting or having a loaded rifle in, or on, a vehicle. I can think of no logical reason to carry a loaded rifle in a vehicle unless you are involved in law enforcment or some such occupation. Too many times I have seen some clown slide to a stop, leap out and start blasting away. This type of "hunting" gives all real hunters a bad name.

Now if by chance I misunderstood what you were saying I apologize but it really sounds like you are condoning this type of activity. We have very few problems with the hunters that enjoy our place each year. The problems we do have are usually caused by road hunters or people that damage crops by driving where they shouldent.

I agree with you that a certain latitude should be used when enforcing the laws. I also agree that there are a few, very few, enforcment officers that cite for very petty offenses. Over the years I have found these officers will either learn to use a little better, in my opinion anyway, judgment or leave the business entirely. Most people in game enforcment are hunters and fishermen themselves and know what is proper and what is not.

Sorry for the long post but this is a topic area we deal with every year on our place and I tend to vent on the subject. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tencubed
What the Officer told me was it was unlawful to shoot from any motorized vehicle and that included tractors and such. Using it as a rest falls into that catagory. He could have given me a ticket even tho it was my tractor on my land. He did not do this and was just letting me know what the law said so I would be informed.

That law is just asinine.
1. It is your own property for petes sake.
2. If you aren't taking game it would be none of the State's business one way or another. Stuff like that simply infuriates the me. It infuriates me but what really scares me is that people will gladly accept such state intrusion.

As for loaded weapons in a vehicle. I don't condone road hunting and people who do so should be prosecuted. I have absolutely no problem with having a loaded rifle or other weapon in a vehicle. I usually have a loaded rifle or shotgun in the truck (I am legally permitted to do so on my own property and even on public roads now) and I usually carry a handgun of some sort which is also legal. Not to road hunt with mind you just for protection purposes and on general principle.

You don't have any argument with me when it comes to road hunters or especially with people who trespass and destroy private property. I have absolutely no tolerance for that. Nor do I have tolerance for agents of the state telling me what I can or cannot do on my own property. Frankly, if the DNR agent wants to set foot on my property uninvited he should be required to have a warrant issued with probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Old 06-18-2004, 12:46 PM
Trailblazer

CaptainQuint

In Indiana, game is the property of residents of the state not the land owner.
As for using your quad as a rest, for shooting targets you should be fine. Once again in Indiana, hunting from a motor driven connivance is illegal. If you are disabled you can get a permit to hunt off a quad thou.

Old 06-18-2004, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got a message from the California DFG here is what it says:

"Well, the consensus here at the office is that you'd be taking a risk by using your "vehicle" (ATV) as a rest.

The Fish & Game Code (sec 2006) says that you cannot carry (or discharge) a loaded long gun, (meaning round in the chamber) from a
public road, or a "way open to the public".

The Attorney General and the courts have defined "in a vehicle" to also include ON a vehicle and it's possible that if you were contacted by a warden as you used your ATV as a gun rest, there might be a problem. It would definitely be an "officer discretion" type of situation, but I'm obligated to give you the most conservative, "safe" response."

I don't know about you guys but this made it clear a smud. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I think I will just drag my bench out with me.

Old 06-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

hotwls13:

When they specified "way open to the public" sounds to me like that would eliminate private property especilly if it is posted. Maybe where you live it would be legal to shoot from the quad?

When you ask them about the loaded rifle did they specify that you could have rounds in the magazine? I know here in Washington State that a rifle is considered loaded even if the magazine is loaded and in the rifle. You can have loaded detachable magazines in the vehicle just not in the rifle.

I saw an ad on another forum this morning advertizing a quad cover, one of the cabin you ride inside type, that has "shooting windows" in it. Advertized as a "rolling blind". Hope the manufacturer lets people know this could be a problem at least in some areas.