Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Taurus 24/7 .45 acp loading issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taurus 24/7 .45 acp loading issues

bought a brand new taurus 24/7 pistol today. all reviews of this gun have been extremely high although for the 9mm version.

after bring it home never loading it? most stores don't let you, i was somewhat dissapointed to see that it would only load 8 out of 12 rounds with out completely jamming every round, till getting down till 7, its not a major issue as capacity means nothing to me, but was wondering if the clip springs just need to be worn in. i have them fully loaded hoping to fix the problem, hate having to take it back love the feel of the weapon, although without firing it, not sure if actually have a problem yet, any opinions greatly appreciated.

the intial loads i tried loading into it were brand new federal personal defense rounds, 230 grain hydra shock hollow point

Old 08-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

I've never owned a Taurus, Beretta copy, but many auto loaders will not properly load hollow points over the feed ramp. Try FMJs and see if it solves your problem.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

it is a bullet issue, it will load reliable with 8 , 9 in chamber, 12 will load fine with ball point, i found some bullets my dad has that are a hollow point but have a plastic tip to make it a ball point and they load flawless in the gun, the problem is there are only 2 left, below is a picture if anyone knows what it is, please let me know i need to buy more, im thinkin its a federal case

Click here to see bullet

Old 08-06-2005, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

I've seen them around, but don't remember brand names. If one of those plastic tips pops out it might happen when you really need it. I'd stay with FMJs.

Old 08-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

oh they are molded with the bullet, its not something i just push in, they are made that way,lol i wouldn't trust just popping them in

Old 08-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

well i took it to the range, it shot nice except it destroyed every one of my casings, pictures later, this infuratied me since i reload and rendered close to 70 rounds useless. then at 50 rounds the trigger started malfunctioning, this piece of crap is going back, way to unreliable to be defense purpose

Old 08-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Wow - sorry to hear about that. Some autos are not too hot at loading hollow points but yours sounds like a defect if there ever was one. I would try and return it to the store for service and if that does not work I would consider a different brand. I personally love Glocks, yes they are ugly but it fires about anything and never hangs up. I hope the store stands behind the product and helps you out.

Old 08-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Code54
Wow - sorry to hear about that. Some autos are not too hot at loading hollow points but yours sounds like a defect if there ever was one. I would try and return it to the store for service and if that does not work I would consider a different brand. I personally love Glocks, yes they are ugly but it fires about anything and never hangs up. I hope the store stands behind the product and helps you out.
the loads i ran through it were ball point military issue my dad had, i didn't even fire the hollow points, i bought it at cabelas, which is 3 hours away, i asked specifically about their return policy so well c after i make a call, i love the gun alot in some aspects hate it in others, oh yea it jamed one round and almost broke the clip.lol this is what i get for trying to get something other then what we usually go for

Old 08-06-2005, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider
Old 08-07-2005, 02:36 AM
Ol
Range Rover

LittleBill, I've been a reloader since the mid 1950s. Trust me Pard, your cases are still VERY useable. Your resizing die will straighten the mouths out beautifully.

Sorry to hear about your Taurus problems, but I gotta tellya: I moderate weapons forums on other boards and Taurus handguns in particular has a reputation for really poor QC.

I have 2 Taurus rimfire rifles. The first a M62 22 lr is one of the greatest rifles I ever owned.... so, this spring I popped for the same rifle in 22 magnum (M72). The rifle was so bad it was completely unshootable - my dealer demanded (and got me) a new replacement rifle.

All that said: handguns are tools that you occasionally bet your very life upon. I don't know about you, but I'm not betting my bacon on a Taurus. Stick with the likes of S&W, Colt, Ruger, or Glock.

Quick Reply: Taurus 24/7 .45 acp loading issues