Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Local dealership full of idiots, How do I fix 700 Neutral light?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Local dealership full of idiots, How do I fix 700 Neutral light?

About a month ago, I went to my local dealership to get an oil filter for my V. The guys behind the counter did'nt have a clue what a kfx 700 v force was so I had to Take them out to their own showroom floor and show them what it was. After about an hour of watching them scratch their heads, I finally just left. Now I noticed that my neutral indicator light does not work. Theres no way I'll take my V to the dealership because i'm afraid they will be taking the tires off to get to the light. Does anyone else have the problem with the neutral light and any ideas on how to fix it. I know the light is no big deal, but it still bugs me that something does not work on my new bike. Thanks for any thoughts.

Old 06-18-2003, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

Dont want to sound like a smart a$$, but did you check the bulb to make sure it wasnt burnt out?

Old 06-18-2003, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

I popped out the light cluster and it looked like the tiny bulbs are actually made on to the panel. the bulb did'nt look like it was blown and I did'nt want to mess anything up so I just put it back together. Anyone have any ideas?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2003, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider

Vtwiner, does the V start in neutral without applying the brake? If so then the neutral switch and Neutral starting relay are working, which only leaves the Neutral Indicator which should be an LED. You can test it out by grounding the Light Green wire that goes to the Indicator Unit. This should turn on the Neutral LED. The ignition key must be turned on also. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2003, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer

I'm sorry, but your description of the idiots at the dealership is toooo funny. My god, where do they find these morons?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2003, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

Thank you prairie633...
Yes, the bike does start in neutral without pressing the brake. As soon as I have a chance to try grounding the green wire I will post the results. Thanks again! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2003, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I had the key turned on, bike in neutral, grounded that green wire and it didn't do anything. I guess the LED is burnt out although I cant tell by looking at it. I'll just have to live with it I suppose unless anyone has any other suggestions? Thanks...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2003, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

I agree that was some funny sheit on the discription of the dealer. that just cracked me up. Thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-23-2003, 02:01 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

This (neutral indicator light not working) happened to my KFX700 as well. At first it was an intermittent problem, sometimes it appeared to be dimly lit. Sometimes it would work. Eventually it stopped working altogether.

I was told that the light pod needed to be replaced and the part was on backorder. So I took the machine back home again until getting word that the part was in. After about 5 weeks I received the call. Cost of the part (lamp assembly) was $64.95 and there was a labor charge of $21.60. There was no cost to me however since it was repaired under warranty.

While it was in the shop I also had them take care of the throttle cable nut recall issue.

Having a good dealer is rather important, especially while the machine is under warranty. Too bad you are having issues with yours (at least with the parts / sales people anyway)!