Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

popping back into the carbeurators

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 09:21 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping back into the carbeurators

I recently installed a Twin Air filer in my "03" P650 and I noticed that the engine pops back into the carbs more than it used to until it warms up and then once it warms up it stops but it seems to take longer now for the popping to stop. Any suggestions on how to correct this because it is annoying as hell....
thanks.......

Old 01-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Range Rover

sounds like you need to richen up the air screws. try turning them out a 1/4 turn at a time and then try it. I have seen posts of up to 3 1/2 turns out. The screws are located on the botom of the float bowls under the carbs. They can be adjusted without taking any thing off.

Old 01-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

back fire through the carbs = lean

through the muffler = rich

Old 01-16-2004, 07:05 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info...but getting back to the popping back into the carbs,it has been extremely cold out lately when I have been riding and I noticed the popping more since the cold weather set in.If I keep the choke opened alittle the popping stops even after the engine has warmed up.Do the carbs still need to be set rich?

Old 01-16-2004, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

"If I keep the choke opened alittle the popping stops even after the engine has warmed up."

If you have the choke on a little bit, you are "pulling" more fuel into the carbs. If the popping stops whit this done, you need to introduce, (nice word, hey) more fuel in the carbs. You will have to make adjustments to the screws on the carbs to get the right setting.

Old 01-17-2004, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Cleve
If I keep the choke opened alittle the popping stops even after the engine has warmed up.Do the carbs still need to be set rich?
If I understand you correct, I think you mean that you are leaving the chokes CLOSED a little even after the engine has warmed up. This richens the mixture, same as adjusting the mixture screws. Just richen both screws (turn them out/counterclockwise I think) a quarter turn at a time till the popping stops.

Old 01-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

If I understand you correct, I think you mean that you are leaving the chokes CLOSED a little even after the engine has warmed up. This richens the mixture, same as adjusting the mixture screws. Just richen both screws (turn them out/counterclockwise I think) a quarter turn at a time till the popping stops.

You are right, If the choke is closed. Sorry for the confussion.

Old 01-17-2004, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

turn out your mixture screws 1/4-1/2 turn. That may clear it up. The 3 1/2 turns for when you turn the screw all the way in, you back it out 3 1/2 turns.

You may also have to go up a jet size in your carbs, unless you are planning on a Dial-a-Jet kit, then you want your carbs on the lean side. I'll stop before i confuse you to bad.

Good luck and let us know what cures the problem.

BTW, mine pops through the carbs also. Does it longer on cooler/cold days. The cooler air is more dense than the warm air of spring and fall and will cause you bike to lean out even more.