Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lakota front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 11:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lakota front bumper

Does anybody know if the front bumper on a lakota (95-00) is removable, or is it welded to the frame. Also are the headlights on the bumper or on the fender. Im trying to decide on lakota sport or the 300.

Old 03-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Um ok
Im almost posative the bumper is part of the frame, therefore, aftermarket bumpers go right over the stock one, (see my pics) and also i believe the old lakotas have this grill guard thing were the dual headlights hang, this is all removeable, but if you can get your hands on a 2001 and up model, it will save you work and look nicer.

Old 03-14-2004, 11:20 AM
Range Rover

is it possible to put the sport plastics on the 300 model.

Old 03-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer

the older lakota's are pretty much identical to the newer ones. the only major difference is the older ones have racks and dual headlights bolted on. It is all removable (bolted on). I'm not sure but I think the only difference in the plastic would be the abcence of holes in the fenders to mount the racks to the machine and the headlight is in the same place as the mojave's.

Old 03-15-2004, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

yes thats about right,
however
there is bolts on the fenders of the sports model to put a rack on, and yes the only difference between the plastic is where the single headlight is on the 01-03
so the older models dont have middle headlight

Old 03-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Range Rover

Yes, as mentioned, it is possible to put the race plastics on the lakota. I have them on mine after having to drill some holes so that the part in which the light is attached would fit securely.

BigChris as far as mods, what else can possibly be done other than the exhaust, air filter, & spocket changes. I have heard once of someone swaping on a mojave carb, but not many people have done it (at least I think). What else would you say? 330 kit? I am ready to add a little more kick to it.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Mdyjeepgrl,

Well, personally, I'm sorta in the process of just setting up the body really, before I go with some engine/performance mods. I'm planning on some wheel spacers, graphics, tires.... eventually I want to have a Lakota that when people see it ...they say "No way thats a Lakota"

But for you, my 2 cents would be...
Get some good tires, Razrs maybe, with new rims (aluminum)
Look into the carb swap, you will get some good power out of the new carb
Look at a rear sprocket change, depending on what size rear tire you run, you will get some speed
Clutch work....Theres an after market clutch for the Lakota, (awh man i cant remember the name) and this clutch adds power to the tranny, and some HP. Also like 98's lakota, if you know some body handy with machines, it IS possible to make the kota a MANUEL quad, you just have to know what your doing, and im sure this will add some more power on tap (and more fun!)
Um I'm sure theres some other simpler, but harder to find mods, like and after market Rev box (?) and diffrent spark plugs that would add some power.
the 330 kit is up to you, If your willing to spend the money, GET IT, why not?! that will oviously wake her up a bit.
Oh ya another thing, try some reducing some weight, take EVERYTHING off you dont need, take off the heel guards, tool box, MUD FLAPS, all unneccessary bolts, guards, anything little that will save weight, especially the mud flaps, their heavy, have lots of bolts, and the kota looks so much sweater without them. And lighter wheels.

Sorry this is long
but one last thing
Another thing ALL KOTA owners should realize, in this world of quads today, the lakota is the underdog. Unless some mods are done, we normally would be the laughing stock. Most of us prolly realize that we want a 400 now, so we do our best to mod our lakota's, but we most likely wont go far enough to make it 400 quality. I love my LAKOTA to death, and I have no money. But slowly but surely I'm adding more and more to her..shes gonna stay in the family even if there comes along a new 400 someday...but untill then......everybody keep an eye on my lakota, cause it's gonna get better, and better

Thanks for listening!
~Chris~

Old 03-17-2004, 02:19 AM
Range Rover

bigChris,
First of all, thanks for the info. Have you ever thought about replacing the front fenders to race fenders. I have those on mine an it looks way better. Just a thouhgt if look is what you are really going for right now. And as for the aluminum wheels, those give it a much sweeter look too.

Old 03-17-2004, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, right now the money is short, but I would like to buy some race plastic,
you see it on ebay every now and then so im gonna keep my eyes open,
but I do want some tires and wheel spacers...

I like that Zest Orange maier plastic, like the kfx...eather orange or black I'm interested in.
~Chris~