Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Quad for wife?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quad for wife?

I dont have a bike for my wife yet,after she rode my V she wants the same type of auto tranny but we are on a tight budget.She dosent need anything 2 powerfull or sporty.Any ideas?

Old 03-30-2004, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Quad for wife?

How much are you wanting to spend. I would suggest finding a used 2002 prairie. Should beable to pick one up for about $ 4000 or so . Thats if you are going to pay for it up front. If you are going to finance the bike with lets say 1000 down. Your payments on a new 700 wont be over 180 $ for 36 months. If you have to finance it just buy a new one. The differance between 4000 and 7000 are only about 60 $ a month. Just some food for thought.

Old 03-30-2004, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Quad for wife?

OH !!!! I wasn't sure if you wanted to trade my wife for your quad, or my quad for your wife...LOL...

you could find any of the used Prairies to be a good value... the 300 Prairie is a good rider, & should be available for a reasonable price... they made both 2 X 4 models & 4 X 4 models... the 4 X 4 model is full time, but Warn, has reciently released thier unlocker, which can easily be installed, turning it into a 2 x 4, for lighter steering...

the 400 Prairie, is water cooled, & alot of people consider it to be one of the most reliable of Kawis quad...

the 360 Prairie was new last year, & replaced both the 300 & 400 Prairies... it has the same selectable 4 X 4 , & front diff lock, as it's bigger brothers ( the 650 & 700 Prairies ), it is an air cooled single cylinder, & also has the same rear brakes & swing arm, as the big Prairies...

or you could pick up a used 650, as listed above...

or there are several mid sized Artic Cats & Yamaha's, that have the CVT & are also easy to ride...

Old 03-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default Quad for wife?

so are all Prairies pretty much , hit the gas and go. (no shifting)

Old 03-30-2004, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default Quad for wife?

lakota, its a automatic clutch, but fun and sporty.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer
Default Quad for wife?

Sorry dude, what is a "Lakota"?

Old 03-31-2004, 07:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Quad for wife?

I RIDE ALL THE TIME WITH MY HUSBAND AND BUDDIES. I STARTED OUT WITH A POLARIS 250 4X2. I LOVED IT. GOES THROUGH ANYTHING AND I MEAN 'ANYTHING,' YET IT DOESN'T HAVE A LOT OF SPEED FOR A BEGINNER. EASY TO STEER ALSO. BUT THEN AGAIN WHAT DO I KNOW (~.~). I'M LOOKING TO UPGRADE NOW TO SOMETHING FASTER. GOOD LUCK

Old 03-31-2004, 08:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default Quad for wife?

SCAGZ... yes all Prairies ( that I'm aware of ), have always been CVT models ( automatics ), there may be some very early models that weren't, but anything built lately will be an auto... the Bayous, typically have been clutchless ( or auto clutch ) manual transmissions... appearently the Lakota also ( the Lakota is more of a sport quad ( 2 X 4 only, no racks )... The Bayou's are more of a utility quad... the 300 Bayou had an unteresting open / locked rear differential, for a few years... most have been 4 X 4's, however there are some 2 X 4's out there as well )...MONTIE... is correct, there are several CVT models of Polaris available as well ( several are chain drive & or 2 cycle engines ), I'd stay away from those models, for your wife, as they are higher maintenance machines... unless you like to work on the 2 cycles...

Old 03-31-2004, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default Quad for wife?

I'm considering the Polaris Trailblazer for my wife right now. It looks good, has cvt tranny, not too much power, but can me modded pretty good. The downfalls to me are that it is a Polaris. Now, I know they have more of a bad rap these days than poor quality, but I still hear the horror stories. The other downfall, IMO, is that it is a 2 stroke. Other than that I think it's perfect for her. She really likes the way the blue '04's look with the gray flames. Not to mention, brand new for $3400.

Old 03-31-2004, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default Quad for wife?

I bought my wife a Kodiak 450 4x4 that she really liked until she got a flat tire, and I made the mistake of letting her ride my Grizzly back to camp. She discovered that IRS rides a whole lot smoother than a solid rear axle, so after that one ride I had to buy her another Grizzly of her own. Now we have two Grizzlys, a blue one for her and a camo one for me. ... And you went and let your wife ride your V-Force? What were you thinking? Its going to get expensive now, so you might just as well buy her the biggest best riding ATV out there, then you wont have to upgrade next year. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have an '03 Rincon with 600 miles on it that we are going to sell. I'm in Utah, so it might not be too tough to get it to California if you are interested. PM me for my e-mail if you want to see it.

Quick Reply: Quad for wife?