Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 07:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

I will sell my Dynotek CDI for $200 + shipping. Tell me where its going and I will find out the shipping charges.

Old 05-11-2004, 01:51 PM
MDG
Range Rover

Has anyone returned their CDI for evaluation and gotten any feedback from Dyna?

DynaScott
Anything new on the problem?

Old 05-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

Ill tell you what to listen for ..have you ever tryed to start a car that was already running??..that is exactly what the "kick" sounds like except is doesnt screach the starter..I have witnessed fifths kick first hand and it sounds horrible..the other day it did it twice right in a row..didnt start ..kick..tried again..didnt start and kicked..once youve heard it youll know exactly..and I will have to say..it really seems worth the cash..but ill hold onto my money till a solution is found..after it kicked it did start making a very starnge tapping sound that went away after a minute of idle..and yes he did have to turn the idle down after install..it went up considerably...once you guys have done the R and D for me ill buy mine..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah i'm lurking to see how the Dyna unit works out too. I want something primaryly to get the timing right so it will run cooler but more power is a good thing too. I may just go with the DG3 though since its seems to hae no side affects and is cheaper but I was looking for somthing plug and play so I can remove it if I need extended warrenty work.

Old 05-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

SGTrock, I ran that CDI again. About 30 starts. No kickback all day.

I can see how a lot of people say it hasn't happened, and you said it never happened. It doesn't happen depending on certain conditions.

Old 05-11-2004, 08:37 PM
Range Rover

????

Now I'm really confused.

Some say they are returning theirs.

Others are holding out and have no problems.

Others aren't buying.

Others are tearing sheit up.

WTF....

Old 05-11-2004, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

Parker650, you left out "one is selling".

Actually if noone wants the cdi for $200 + shipping then I WILL be sending mine back for testing.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

Parker, some of us have come to a conclusion already that the CDI is too risky or that it doesn't perform as good as it should.

I don't blame people for turning theirs in or others for selling. But, we haven't gotten to the bottom of the issue. Some of us would rather wait and see what happens before we jump ship.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

NYROC,

I'm still going over it and trying to reach a reasonable conclusion. I'll let you know if the situation is worse with my BB Kit as soon as it is running. I've had a few build problems that were caused by the builder. I'm going to be out of town next week but hope to be up and running by the holiday. If not, someone is going to get killed in PA. I'm running higher compression with the BB Kit, which may affect the problem.

The thing I'm struggling with is this - how fast (RPM) is the starter spinning the motor? I don't think it is spinning fast enough for the curve to be significantly different from OEM during the start. I do think that it is possible for the cams to be 'parking' at shutdown in a position that disengages the compression release. When you hit the starter, it would bog the motor. My thought is that the cam would need to be parked just before the compression release opens the valves. Would the engine fire one more time with the stock CDI and not the Dyna? If the advance in timing allows the motor to shut off just before the Dyna fires, but after the OEM would fire, could the motor be in a compression stroke that may be too much for the motor to over come AND be beyond the decompression engagement?

As soon as my ride is running again, I'll continue with my testing.

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 05-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Trailblazer

well i've put about 200 miles on my dyna and i've figured out how to start it now hit the starter button and let the engine start to spin then slowly give it a little throtle and when it fires let off starter before i would give it throtle then hit starter thats when kick back would happen

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.